raralith

Young Ape
Number 5 - Macanudo Duke of Devon
Free from local B&M for purchasing ~$100 worth of cigars
dukeofdevon1bj6.jpg

Appearance and Presentation of Cigar: Excellent
Wrapper color and Packaging: Natural color, Excellent packaging
Lighting and Burning Properties: Even toast, Fast burn
Even initial light, even burn, burn fast or slow: Even initial light, Even burn, medium burn
Draw: OK but got tough near the middle
Taste: What taste?

A beer in one hand, this little thing in the other, time to have a fine cigar…

dukeofdevon2wi0.jpg

First Third
Clean initial draw, tasted a little bit of harshness, but a lot of leather. That was about it until it was near the second third than I tasted a bit of cedar.

dukeofdevon3vp0.jpg

Second Third and Finish
Back to the leather, leather, and more leather flavor. Somewhere near the middle, a bit of creaminess hit my palette which desperately needed some change. And than that disappeared and just more leather flavor. Finally, a bit after the half way point, the draw was like trying to suck a gold ball through a hose; the thing just would not give. I tried to relight it, but trying to draw smoke from this was useless. I finally decided to cut my loses and toss this.

Final Thoughts
What a real disappointment. I expected a fast burn with such a little cigar, and indeed it burned fast compared to anything about a 40 ring. What I did not expect was the complete lack of flavor. I tried my best with this, I even set my beer down to try to focus on the flavors but none were there except for leather. After taking a swig of beer, I could no longer taste the cigar for a draw or two. Definitely not worth my time or effort.

Back