Machine rolled, mass produced storage question.

xxwaldoxx

Lowland Gorilla
I tried looking around for this a little and didnt have any luck. I was wondering if someone could help me out here.

My girlfriends father smokes swisher sweets. Ive tried converting him, but have had no luck. Recenly i saw an advertisement for swisher sweets at what seemed like a pretty decent price. What id like to know, is if i bough them for say his B-day or christmas how would i store them?

Would it hurt them if i put them in a humi (away from my smokes, dont want to impart flavors to one another). Would they get stale if i just kept them in a gallon sized ziplock bag?

Im not going to run out and buy them tomarrow to give him 6+ months down the line, but i was just wondering how to keep them if i did buy them say 30-60 days in advance?

Thanks
-Walt

I see them in the humidor at my local market. So I don't think it would hurt them to be in your humidor. However I would be worried about them imparting flavors to other smokes.
I would probably use a ziploc bag myself just to be safe. They should be fine for that amount of time. If you want to keep them well humidified you could always add a small puck or some beads. Not really sure they need that though. I would consider them to be more like cigarettes than cigars.
I have a friend who keeps them in a plastic bag in the fridge to keep them fresh.

You could ask swisher
http://www.swisher.com/main/contactus.cfm

I don't mean to be insensitive or anything - but I don't really think it matters. Those things spend most of their life just sitting out on shelves in mini-marts and gas stations every where. I don't really view them as cigars - just large flavored cigs is all.
At the most - toss them in a zip lock and call it a day.

Ron

RGD said:
I don't mean to be insensitive or anything - but I don't really think it matters. Those things spend most of their life just sitting out on shelves in mini-marts and gas stations every where. I don't really view them as cigars - just large flavored cigs is all.
At the most - toss them in a zip lock and call it a day.

Ron

Not insensetive at all. I view them the same way, i was just curious as to how to store them if i were to give them to him as a gift. I can only image they sit for a while before being restocked, i just didnt know if they could go bad (from the perspective of that type of smoker) from sitting too too long, know what i mean.

I reckon they should still be put in the humi if someone who smokes premiums [god forbid] ever wanted to smoke them as people who are used t smoking finely sotred premiums would be able to detect the harshness coming from an under humidified cigar. however, no offense to your father in law, he is most likely unable to detect this or if he can it does not bother him as he is smoking swishers and has already been mentioned the majority of these stand unhumidified in warehouses etc. so he would be smking dry ones anyway. i would find out subtly how he stores his and just imitate that, even if it is for a longer time.

Seems that the general consensus is that since they are dry it shouldnt matter if they sit out.

I think im going to ditch the plan on buying him dry cigars. I think instead ill buy him something like Cuban Honeys and a small humidor. This way i know they will be safe sitting in humid conditions and i wont have to worry about anything. Who knows, they might even get better with age.

Thanks for the info

Are you saying he doesn't like good cigars? Would he throw them away and smoke his swishers instead? Maybe if you bought him some good cigars and a humi for his birthday he may be converted over time. Hard to understand how anyone can smoke those.

theromulus said:
Are you saying he doesn't like good cigars? Would he throw them away and smoke his swishers instead? Maybe if you bought him some good cigars and a humi for his birthday he may be converted over time. Hard to understand how anyone can smoke those.

Hey, don't bash the Swisher Nation. At 18 that was my first cigar. Now I wouldn't smoke those things with someone elses mouth. But, they are good for something. To get you started in this wonderful world of hand made premiums. :dr

My :2 (and 300th post YAY!!!) At Wall Mart they have whole boxes of swishers just on the shelf...forever so.. Ya like most people said I dont think and humidity is necesary..it may even ruin them.

Whatever you do end up buying him try to get something with a sweeter wrap, and also size is important...I think he may like those smokes because he like the size and time it takes to smoke (generally pretty quick) so keep that in mind. There is a pretty sweet review on Philly blunt strawberry!!!!

What you could do is open the box and store it in a small humi with a cuban or two...the cubans would probably get wrecked, but maybe (over time) some of the quality of flavore would blend with the swisher...making them SUPER-SWISHERS!! :D

Bobb said:
What you could do is open the box and store it in a small humi with a cuban or two...the cubans would probably get wrecked, but maybe (over time) some of the quality of flavore would blend with the swisher...making them SUPER-SWISHERS!! :D

Im not the mad scientist type, ill leave the hybrid swisher idea up to you :r

As far as the swishers go, from what he tells me he likes the sweet taste. He recently switched from the ones with the wooden/plastic end to just an open end.

Right around christmas last year i went over to see the family and gave him a few cigars to sample. Two were ISOM and the other four were mild non-ISOM's. He told me he just didnt like the flavor, the swishers had the sweetness that he liked. Also, he mentioned that the cigars i gave him took too long to smoke. So from what i put together he likes short, sweet smokes.

Thats why im going to go with the cuban honeys and such. Ive got a while before i give them to him so maybe ill just pick up a tin or 5 pack here and there to make a sampler for him.

Some people Just like them....Bet you never thought Castro did!!! WELL Caught red handed!!!

Castro.jpg

NCRadioMan said:
They are already stale! :r

:ms NCRM

So True !

These are so ..... You should try to give hime one of your cigars. You need to push him down the slope.

Convert the man !!! Convert him !!!

Back