Mailing Cigar question

Costa

Cohibo Aficionado
Probably been asked, but can't find it.

Sending cigars via mail, do you claim that they are cigars?

Sent some to Canada recently and the people in the post office were kind of like "can we ship tabacco"? They were kind of uptight about it. Never mind I almost got our CS brother to pay big $$$ in taxes.

So I know sending cigars to Canada will now be part of my "book club" (lol), but what about the states? When you drop off the box for shipping, you tell 'em its stogies? Thanks for the help.

Probably been asked, but can't find it.

Sending cigars via mail, do you claim that they are cigars?

Sent some to Canada recently and the people in the post office were kind of like "can we ship tabacco"? They were kind of uptight about it. Never mind I almost got our CS brother to pay big $$$ in taxes.

So I know sending cigars to Canada will now be part of my "book club" (lol), but what about the states? When you drop off the box for shipping, you tell 'em its stogies? Thanks for the help.

No. But do they ask? The only thing I've ever had them ask me is if it contains liquids, corrosives, explosives, etc. Never anything about tobacco.

Most of the time I use the two small Priority Mail boxes and print and apply the postage at home. Then, it's just a matter of dropping it in any mailbox.

No. But do they ask? The only thing I've ever had them ask me is if it contains liquids, corrosives, explosives, etc. Never anything about tobacco.

Most of the time I use the two small Priority Mail boxes and print and apply the postage at home. Then, it's just a matter of dropping it in any mailbox.

Yeah, they did. They got all nerved up when I said cigars, started looking through books to see if it was acceptable. Maybe because I sent them to Canada? Great idea pnoon about printing postage at home. That pretty easy to do? Again, thank you.

I'll see if I can find it, but one of the BOTL's combined an outstanding priority Express sticky on mailing.

Thanks that's the one, ought to be a closed stickie. You did a hell of a job with it. BTW, the "scales" work great. No more guess work.

There's about an 80% tax on cigars up here in Canada. So any package coming into the country labeled cigars means the person on the receiving end has to fork out some cash.

I had someone send me 10 sticks a few years back, labels 10 cigars Value $50 and I had to pay $80 to get the package.

And as far as I know this would apply to any country with high "sin" taxes ie tobacco or booze.

I ship to a friend in the United States on a regular basis, I always describe the contents as "scented candles", mark it as a gift and keep the value below $50 on the customs form. Never failed yet :p

I always put "Cigar Accessories" on my customs form when I ship out of the country, whether there are cigars or not, never had an issue.

Dave

I always put "Cigar Accessories" on my customs form when I ship out of the country, whether there are cigars or not, never had an issue.

Dave

actually when you ship cigar accessories they'll tear it apart to see whats in side.. lol they tore my humidor apart looking for gars... well the cardboard box apart then they tape it back up with their opened by customs tape..

First I tell them it's heroin then when their eyes get real big I laugh and tell them it's just a few cigars. They are so relieved they just move it along.

Just kidding - I have never been asked what's inside, only if it's liquid, explosive, or dangerous which the answer is no of course. Of course when I ship from home my mailbox doesn't ask me anything.

Back