making a humi tube?

germantown rob

Chestbeating Pack Leader
I ordered a 1/2 pound of 65% beads from viper along with a draw string bag. I'd like to put the bag in the bottom of my humi with a tube or two to spread it out. Any ides on making a tube? I figure a plastic tube with perferated holes would be simple enough as long as there isn't anything special about the tubes.

germantown rob

I saw that Viper posted he is going to sell empty tubes. Last time I checked they weren't on his site yet. Other than that you could use just about anything including a cigar tube. I have also used travel cases for a toothbrush and for soap. The soap dish works well if you just take off the top and cut up a nylon stocking to put it in. Gives you a lot of surface area and you can mist the beads when you need to through the stocking.

I have a large, flat tupperware container in the bottom of my humi holdingthe majority of the beads. It has great surface area to let the ebads do their thing. Then I have 2 cigar tubes that I have punched holes in sitting in the top shelf of the humi. I find that this spreads out the beads and seems to maintain a more constant humidity throughout the humi. This has worked well for me so far. I need to get some nylons or cheesecloth to stretch out over the top of the tupperware container so that I can put more cigars on top if that, right now it is just exposed beads.

croatan said:
I've poked holes in a few empty tubos. I just like the looks better :)

This was my solution also. I used a sharp object and drove holes in the first tubo. Tends to mash tubo in somewhat. Second time around I used small drill bit and drilled holes. Dremel tool would also work well here. Go buy you a couple of tubos, smoke the cigars while you are drilling the tubos. Two great things accomplished at the same time!!

And croatan is right, they look neat in the humi.

SvilleKid said:
This was my solution also. I used a sharp object and drove holes in the first tubo. Tends to mash tubo in somewhat. Second time around I used small drill bit and drilled holes. Dremel tool would also work well here. Go buy you a couple of tubos, smoke the cigars while you are drilling the tubos. Two great things accomplished at the same time!!

And croatan is right, they look neat in the humi.
I used a safety pin--it was the smallest pointed thing I could find digging around my bedside table. It worked pretty well, though.

I used a tiny hand drill. It worked out really well, but i think it should be used to complement another more sophisticated bead system as i found that the amount of crystals that are in contact with air are somewhat limited.

But my R&Y #2 tube looks damn good in that humi with the holes in it... :)

When using a drilled tubo for beads, how do you guys recharge the beads?
Spray the tube? Empty the tube, spray, and refill? Also, many tubos come with a cedar wrap inside. Do you leave the wrap in? It is fairly porous.
Just curious.

pnoon said:
When using a drilled tubo for beads, how do you guys recharge the beads?
Spray the tube? Empty the tube, spray, and refill? Also, many tubos come with a cedar wrap inside. Do you leave the wrap in? It is fairly porous.
Just curious.
I dump all the beads in to the tupperware container, spray that, then reload the tubes. This seems like the easiest, and it make certain that the beads are at the right humidity (i.e. I can see what % are clear and what % are white). I take the cedar out of the tube. I actually have a number of the pieces of cedar floating around loose in my cooler, just to have a little more cedar in there (the boxes I have don't have much, if any).

I needed to add some additional beads to a small desktop humi today where space was at a premium. I took a little metal box that my Zippo lighter came in and after taking out the zippo packing, drilled very small holes in the top. Loaded up the tin with 65% beads and added it to the humi. I already have some RyJ havana tubes that I have done this with and they work well. This is small and flat and happens to fit a piece of real estate just perfectly.
The funny thing is I was drilling holes in this thing while reading this thread earlier today. Great minds think alike I guess.

-Matthew :)

What's the consensus on the humidification system that came with my humidor? I've used only distilled water in it.
I can see the advantage of the beads in that they can absorb moisture as well as release it.
Other than that, are those little hockey pucks that come with the humidor functional?

PopofTNT said:
What's the consensus on the humidification system that came with my humidor? I've used only distilled water in it.
I can see the advantage of the beads in that they can absorb moisture as well as release it.
Other than that, are those little hockey pucks that come with the humidor functional?

They work, just not as well and require a lot more attention than the beads.

I hate the hockey pucks. Beads are *that* much better.
I split the puck in two, removed the stuff inside and put in a small bag of beads instead before i glued the two parts together. Works really well. I used window screen fabric and glued it into the puck as a screen for the beads so they won't fall out from the big holes. Works really well, just use a good glue and let the fumes air out.

For the tube that i drilled, i removed the cedar inside after finishing drilling. I recharge it by putting it in a ziploc bag with a plate of water for 24 hours or so. I basically use humidity in a sealed container to recharge the tube. It seems to work well.

Back