Marcus Daniel 1994 Sun Grown - Pics

gnukfu

Smokin and Jokin
I flew across country and picked this up at Bidwell Cigar in Chico, CA – just kidding! I got this cigar in a trade with tzaddi (Richard). Richard provided me with a selection of great cigars, a few I had never heard of like this one. It is a “house brand” at Bidwell; their top of the line house gar. I figured most you haven’t heard of it either so this would be a good smoke to review.
Unfortunately I didn’t start taking pictures until after I started smoking but at least I remembered to start taking them! I enjoyed this with a bottle of water while watching today’s Red Sox game on my DVR.

The description from Bidwell Cigar:
This cigar is made of 100% Sun Grown Spanish Honduran Leaf, which is perfectly balanced from start to finish. This Honduran Puro is Medium to Full Bodied with a complimentary balance of leather, cocoa and coffee. This blend took several years to perfect and is made of some of the most expensive aged tobaccos available. It has solid construction and will grow a long gorgeous milky ash. If you like to smoke cigars all the way down, remove the band and finish with a strong follow-through, then this is it! Marcus Daniel...when money is no object! (SM)

Construction and Cut – The cigar was well constructed (I believe it was the tycoon 6”x54) and cut nicely with just a skim cut across the cap. The draw was perfect.

Smoking Experience – The flavor was smooth with leather and vanilla and a touch of vanilla. Exhaling through the nose was pleasurable, no harshness. A touch of spice after exhaling with notes of licorice lingering on the palate for quite a while afterwards. Lots of smoke with each puff to “play with”.
The burn was dead even until halfway it started to get a little ragged and quickly evened out. Because of the larger ring gauge it smoked nice and cool, no harshness or bitterness noted. About halfway through notes of cocoa and coffee entered into the picture to provide some variety to the experience.
Note – I question whether I should read other reviews or descriptions prior to smoking a cigar because it plants preconceptions in my mind about what I am about to experience.
The flavors of cocoa and coffee begin taking over as I near the band. I remove the band and cut the wrapper – klutz! It continued this flavor profile to the end with no harshness or bitterness noted - a great finish to a great smoke. Thanks for sharing this Richard!

Overall Experience – This is a great cigar! Medium bodied, great flavor, smooth smoke, great burn and draw. If you get a chance to try one do it. If you live near Bidwell and haven’t tried one I would recommend picking one up to try on your next visit. Of course you can buy them online also. One disclaimer – I’m not sure how much age this cigar had on it.

Overall score – 9 out of 10 on the gnukfu scale.

Here are some pictures

DSCN0864.jpg

DSCN0862.jpg

DSCN0866.jpg

DSCN0867.jpg

DSCN0871.jpg

DSCN0872.jpg

GO RED SOX!! :D

DSCN0870.jpg

DSCN0873.jpg

DSCN0874.jpg

Red_Sox.gif

I was also gifted some of these rich and delicious smokes from Richard. I didn't read anything about them before I lit it up and was really surprised at how much flavor was packed into this stick.

It got pretty full for me once onto the nub but stayed smooth until the end.

The blend of the earthy tones with the sweetness of the spice, the glorious amounts of room filling smoke with a nice aroma, and the smoothness lead me to agree with the 9/10 score as well. I would recommend this cigar for sure.

Thanks for the review and photos.

I believe Richard has some outstanding photos he might be willing to share also. :bl

:tu:ss

I was also gifted some of these rich and delicious smokes from Richard. I didn't read anything about them before I lit it up and was really surprised at how much flavor was packed into this stick.

It got pretty full for me once onto the nub but stayed smooth until the end.

The blend of the earthy tones with the sweetness of the spice, the glorious amounts of room filling smoke with a nice aroma, and the smoothness lead me to agree with the 9/10 score as well. I would recommend this cigar for sure.

Thanks for the review and photos.

I believe Richard has some outstanding photos he might be willing to share also. :bl

:tu:ss

Yes he has some pics and he offered to send them to me for use in my review but I told him I didn't want anyone thinking I was a professional photographer and asked him if he would post them in this thread. I love his photography! :tu

Looks rather enjoyable...I'll have to keep it in mind, as I'll be out on the West Coast this summer. Thanks for the review and the pics.

George, so happy you did this review, Weak_Link (Eric) & dwhitacre (Darrell) had commented that they enjoyed these Honduran Puros as well. Here is a comment on the Bidwell website regarding this blend that I found interesting, it states… " If you like to smoke cigars all the way down, remove the band and finish with a strong follow-through…"
I take that to mean, if you like a bit more nicotine punch, smoke it down to the nub.:)

As Eric was alluding to I had taken a series of photos for of this cigar as well as another. As part of my payment I was allowed to keep a box of 25 of these. This all happened the day of the Chico Herf, so the BABOTL where benefactors of the abundance. :D

They are a fine solid smoke in the tradition of the Punch Gran Puro line rolled from Honduran leaf as well.

With the intention of adding to the experince of enjoying this cigar here is one of my favorite photos from that session…

web.jpg

As is evident from the photo, I enjoyed one of these whilst I worked :).

Thanks George, you tried to tell me that you weren't adept at reviews, I beg to differ:).

Very nice pic Richard! :tu

My aged hands have been subjected to too much abuse from 3 decades of playing with chemicals and constant handwashing and detract from my pics - that and I'm a lousy photographer. :r

Great Review!!!

These are a wonderful smoke!!! The flavors are very crisp and enjoyable through and through!!!

I have shared these with a couple of the guys on this site. Glad it was someone like George from across the map to review one!!!

Good job!!!

Luck me I get to drive down the street for as many as I want!:ss

The site isn't kidding about the last 1/3 being a real ass kicker. Seemed like it went from medium to mega-full in one quick turn.

It's interesting you mention Punch, Richard, as they are one of my 'go to' smokes so I suppose it makes sense that I enjoyed this Sun Grown as much as I do.

Back