Marketing-Merchandising-Packaging.

JaKaAch

HopenchangeHopenchange
At the KC Herf Saturday AlanB noticed a CAO in a gold aluminum tubo and made a comment about packaging and the cost.
I know when I was a total newb and making my first trips into B&M's with big walk-in humidors that the fancy bands, boxes, and tubos caught my eye, and influenced my purchases.

Does this packaging still influence your decision making?
Or is this a newbie only phenomenon?

I know one of the first cigars that caught my eye, presentation wise, was the HdM Dark Sumatra. The black and gold bands, cedar sleeve, nice looking box made me want to try one. I'm glad I did, I really like them.
But after joining CS I am now mostly influenced by recommendations and reviews here and could care less about the "package".

What was your first cigar that you bought mainly because of the packaging? And did you like it or was it a let down?

Last edited:
I can honestly say the packaging was a very big draw at first. Before I found the wealth of information here I was strictly going by packaging. I assumed that a company that spent more time in the detail was really trying to showcase their product.

Even today if I am in my local B&M and I see something I have never heard of but "looks" good I will at least give it a shot. Then again being new to cigars I am giving a lot of cigars a shot trying to find what I like...LOL

I've worked in sales and done my fair share of market research and other things marketing, so I've never been one to buy because of the bright, shiny, and colorful (or large breasted for that matter). Presently, I smoke montes and Padrons, so even now, the simple and classic are my preference.

I've been smoking for a long time and I am a total sucker for flashy packaging,,

Jerry in Minnesota.

Generally the bigger and shinier, the more I stay away. So, yes it does but more to the opposite effect. When I see a shiny glass tube or a nice metal tubo I thing, "that is going to cost me more for that tube or glass." I find that generally whatever is flashy/popular/more advertised has to be lower quality to feed the masses. Otherwise they could let the product sell on it's own. I understand you have to get the word on the street, but still.

Remember kids, never buy off an end cap. ;)

Anything cedar wrapped or tubed, packed in fancy boxes, with double shade wrappers, or special figurado shapes (perfectos, culebras) always attracted me more than the plain ole' robustos that are more common.

Appearance is part of the whole cigar experience,
so flashy or fancy packaging does play some role in my decision making,
however, taste tends to become far more important a factor over time.

The CAO Vision box didn't make the cigar taste any better.
:tu

I like a good smoke period. Fancy bands just end up pissing me off, I do not enjoy taking 15 bands off to smoke 1 cigar, or a band that is huge. I dunno, I feel that when the company goes to a lot of lengths to make a crazy looking band or boxes, seems like they are compensating for something, like a shitty smoke.

Flashy packaging has definately got me to buy on occasion, but my favorite smokes, Padrons....come in very plain, unflashy boxes! (Except for the 40th Anniversay Humidor) :D

Most of my purchases are made based on reviews here or instore recommendations. Being a mild -med smoker, I ask Al for ideas in those areas. Plus, I read a lot on CI and Duke City's websites to learn about different 'gars.

I am still a sucker for a pretty band. Most of my regulars other tan Tats have fairly fancy bands. Although I have tried many that don't live up to the promise of the packaging. Most of what I smoke or try is based off reviews or recommendations from friends. Not the apperance in the store.

Marlboro,

If you like flasy and pretty you need a Gurhka Black Beauty! I haven't seen anything as pretty packaged as those.

Last edited:
I like the flashy bands to a point, they will usually draw me in to at least check out the cigar and try to find a review or two on it. On the other hand, If I see a really plain boring band I like to check those out also. There is nothing like a good diamond in the ruff.

I tend to stay away from Tubos. Often you can get the same or very similer cigar without the fancy tube for less money. Maybe I'm wrong, but the tube does nothing for the flavor of the cigar.

Here is one that gets my attention every time I see it in the B&M. Are they any good? Dumb question, its a LFD.
factorypress_03.jpg

Someday I will give them a try.

Back