Maximizing Humidor Space

MikeyC

SilverBack
I can't imagine this hasn't been discussed before, but I'm going to start a thread anyway. :ss

When I first joined up here I decided I needed a larger humi and invested in a lovely 300 cigar number from Tampa Humidor. This is what it looked like about a month ago:

Back then it had 50 maybe 75 cigars in it MAX. Well now it has 288 cigars in it (277 mine, 11 I'm storing for my brother). I'm expecting some new cigars from the NST thread and I'll probably buy some more too. Space has become REAL tight, but I think I can fit more than 300. It seems I'm constantly re-arranging all my cigars and humidification devices to maximize space.

For other newbs, here are some tips I learned for maximizing space:
  1. Remove cigars from tubes or coffins that they may come in (I store the empty tubes in a cigar box for later use).
  2. Use humidifaction beads preferrably in tubes. I find tubes are easier to fit into odd spaces compared to having them in the black plastic humidifier boxes that came with your humi. Plus, they're easier to deal with than the mesh bags.
  3. Put the cigars in first to maximize space then put the tubes with the beads in. It's easier to fit the tubes around the cigars than to build your cigars around the tubes.
  4. In a humi shaped like mine in the trays move longer cigars to the side. This will enable you to fit shorter cigars length-wise and width-wise in the middle. So, more cigars fit in the same space. In the open area of the bottom stack cigars length-wise on the sides (looks cool too with the glass window) and then width-wise in the middle section.
  5. Consider your cigars to be pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Sometimes changing their orientation or position in the humi will allow you to more efficiently use the space (pretty much what I said in #4).

Anyone else have some tips? I'll probably have to buy a cooler soon.

Not a Jigsaw Puzzle but

TETRIS

It all has to fit together correctly or they all won't fit.
You'll on your way there.
I started with a 200 ct., then a 300 ct., and now I have a small end Table Humidor that is completely full .

What you WILL run into is that it is a PAIN IN THE A$$ to take a selection of cigars out once you have FINALLY gotten them all in.
I know in my Endtable it is a drag to just get to the boxes to take singles out.

Good Luck to you on the slippery slope.

Brian

Consider your cigars to be pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Sometimes changing their orientation or position in the humi will allow you to more efficiently use the space (pretty much what I said in #4).[/LIST]

Anyone else have some tips? I'll probably have to buy a cooler soon.

Not a Jigsaw Puzzle but

TETRIS

It all has to fit together correctly or they all won't fit.
You'll on your way there.
I started with a 200 ct., then a 300 ct., and now I have a small end Table Humidor that is completely full .

What you WILL run into is that it is a PAIN IN THE A$$ to take a selection of cigars out once you have FINALLY gotten them all in.
I know in my Endtable it is a drag to just get to the boxes to take singles out.

Good Luck to you on the slippery slope.

Brian
A great analogy Brian! I love playing Tetris.

I went from a humi that held probably 40 cigars stuffed to the brim to my 300 count. So, it's been a big jump already.

My biggest issue so far is that I want to see what I have. I've re-arranged my humi multiple times so that each type of cigar in there is visible. This way I can get a quick visual inventory of the types/sizes I have. The only problem with that is that I've mainly been buying 5ers. In order to fully use the space in the humi I need to stack cigars about 8 high. So, some of my 5ers get covered with other 5ers. Then I can't see everything and I start re-arranging again. I would try some smaller trays in the middle section of the lower part to help get everything organized, but I feel like I would lose space that way.

Too much thinking for me. When I run out of space, I just get something new. Got 2 humis and a Vinotemp for Christmas and now they are 75-90% full. Cooler is 100% full so probably time for another Vino.:ss

Too much thinking for me. When I run out of space, I just get something new. Got 2 humis and a Vinotemp for Christmas and now they are 75-90% full. Cooler is 100% full so probably time for another Vino.:ss
:tpd:When humidors get full its time for a new one, or just buy a cabinet.

I bought a 150 ct. humi a couple months ago thinking it was more than enough. I encountered a space problem as soon as I started picking up full boxes of cigars! 1 or 2 boxes in there is okay, but I can't get at every cigar easily without tampering with the sticks.

I'm going into cooler mode this week. I've liked what I've seen on the boards as far as modest, box storage in coolidors. I'm going with beads from heartfelt (70%) and I'm going to drill out tupperware that will appropriately hold the 1 lb. of beads.

I have several smaller humis -- three in the 125-150 rage, a 50 and a 25.
It's a pain monitoring the humidity in all of them, but it's an easy way to keep things organized; CCs and Tats in one, top shelf sticks, every day smokes and cheapies apiece in three of the others. One is basically empty and freshly reseasoned awaiting my folks' return from Varadero later this month. :tu
Plus it's an easy way to gradually grow your collection a little at a time.

Just something to consider...........

Pack them in too tightly, and you risk circulation problems and uneven humidification in individual sticks.

Been there, done that. Used to re-arrange the humi all the time to squeeze in a few more sticks. I started to find that the sticks were burning uneven way too often. This problem has abated since I cut back on the tight packing in the trays.

My answer was to buy another humidor. Then another, Then another. Then a cooler. Then another cooler. Then a third cooler! But, by GOD, my sticks are comfortable, and burn much better:tu:r:r:r

Good luck with the slope Mikey:ss

I find that if I cut them into small pieces I can fill in all the gaps! :r

Seriously though, I found that if I filled my desktop humidor (100 capacity) trying to maximize space I was having burning issues so I use the cooler with Oust fan and plenty of room for cigars, boxes, and circulation. My desktop has about 50 cigars in it with plenty of room for circulation and issues went away.

Just something to consider...........

Pack them in too tightly, and you risk circulation problems and uneven humidification in individual sticks.

Been there, done that. Used to re-arrange the humi all the time to squeeze in a few more sticks. I started to find that the sticks were burning uneven way too often. This problem has abated since I cut back on the tight packing in the trays.

My answer was to buy another humidor. Then another, Then another. Then a cooler. Then another cooler. Then a third cooler! But, by GOD, my sticks are comfortable, and burn much better:tu:r:r:r

Good luck with the slope Mikey:ss
Thanks for the tip! I didn't think of that. I don't think they're packed in tight right now, but there are a lot of them. They're just kind of stacked loosely. Also, I don't have all my beads in one place. They're in three seperate tubes. So, I'm thinking that will help some.

Sounds like "cooler-dor here I come!" I'm just trying to delay it a bit.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't think of that. I don't think they're packed in tight right now, but there are a lot of them. They're just kind of stacked loosely. Also, I don't have all my beads in one place. They're in three seperate tubes. So, I'm thinking that will help some.

Sounds like "cooler-dor here I come!" I'm just trying to delay it a bit.

Just remember this conversation. It make good justification for buying more storage space!!!:D:r

I won't guarantee your wife will buy the explanation, but it's worth a try!!

Just remember this conversation. It make good justification for buying more storage space!!!:D:r

I won't guarantee your wife will buy the explanation, but it's worth a try!!
Well, I won't be married until August and she doesn't live with me. So, now's the time to stock up and get that cooler! :ss

I
I'm going into cooler mode this week. I've liked what I've seen on the boards as far as modest, box storage in coolidors. I'm going with beads from heartfelt (70%) and I'm going to drill out tupperware that will appropriately hold the 1 lb. of beads.

Go big, I have a 56qt and should have gotten a 120-150qt. But temp control popped up as a potential concern in the summer so I am now going to Vinotemps.(Cheaper than running the A/C at 68 all summer) Also, consider 65% beads, it seems to reduce the need to dry box before smoking. And the bags from heartfelt can fit into more spaces without concern for spillage.(Beads can make a big mess!):ss

Go big, I have a 56qt and should have gotten a 120-150qt.

Or, use two 70 quarts.

The problem I have with 150 quart size is that they are so big, I have trouble finding a place to put them. Plus, when full, they will weigh a lot. 70 quart coolers generally run me around $25, which is reasonable, and I can easily slide three of them (stacked) to the back of a closet, where it stays dark and cool. Had to give up on the big boys, they required moving too much stuff to get them in and out of the closet, plus, they will not turn sideways in my closet, requiring more lost space.

Get two 70 quarts, you can have one for NC's, and one for CCs:D (At least that's something to shoot for!!!!!!!)

Just an alternative thought.

I'm with you on the two 70 quart coolers and the ability to store them easier than a large one. I have a Vinotemp (full) and a 70 quart Coleman Xtreme (full). I just went and bought another 70 quart Coleman today and will start filling that up quickly for sure. My biggest concern is summer months and heat. I may have to buy another Vinotemp. Costco had a huge Vintemp with nice slider drawers for about $1,200 that I am sure will fit about 1,200 cigars (maybe more). Of course, there is always the Aristocrat possibility but sliding another $4,000 will be a tought sell with the wifey. Any ideas on positioning this with her?

I'm with you on the two 70 quart coolers and the ability to store them easier than a large one. I have a Vinotemp (full) and a 70 quart Coleman Xtreme (full). I just went and bought another 70 quart Coleman today and will start filling that up quickly for sure. My biggest concern is summer months and heat. I may have to buy another Vinotemp. Costco had a huge Vintemp with nice slider drawers for about $1,200 that I am sure will fit about 1,200 cigars (maybe more). Of course, there is always the Aristocrat possibility but sliding another $4,000 will be a tought sell with the wifey. Any ideas on positioning this with her?

I purchased an Aristocrat Plus 48 last year and thought all of my problems were over. With that + my converted small freeze-a-dor + a 150 count humi + a 50 count humi I'm filled to the brim. For me more storage equal's more hunting for more cigars. Not so much an array of different types but just more box's of my favorites. It's a sickness.......:ss

I purchased an Aristocrat Plus 48 last year and thought all of my problems were over. With that + my converted small freeze-a-dor + a 150 count humi + a 50 count humi I'm filled to the brim. For me more storage equal's more hunting for more cigars. Not so much an array of different types but just more box's of my favorites. It's a sickness.......:ss

PM me papa, and I will give you the secret password that will let you into our hidden Tobacco Anon area of Club Stogie. We can have you on the right track in no time:D

I think it's the effect of seeing empty shelves makes you feel like you have no cigars.

Forbid I ever buy a house with space for a walk-in humi.

What really worries me is what's next. I'm at a point in my life where I can pretty much buy whatever I please in the way of cigars. Not that I'm a wealthy old fart but with the family grown theirs more bucks leftover to be used for my own pleasures. As far as maximizing humi space my mistake was not following the old Club Stogie axiom of BUYING BIGGER than you think you will ever need. I don't know if a 2nd Aristocrat is in my future but without something the bubble is about to burst, i.e. since my earlier post a box of Oliva V Double Robusto's arrived...now the trick is finding a place to put them.:tu

Back