MAXX by Alec Bradley

ShaulWolf

Gorilla
MAXX - The Fix
5 x 58 Robusto

I was gifted this log by a generous gorilla and decided to give it a crack since I had time to kill and enjoy. I sat down on the deck with some light coffee and started to look over the cigar. It's pretty thick by my standards with me usually going with a 44-46 rg, and this one is a huge measuring in at 58. Holding it between my fingertips I can tell that it's also a well packed thick cigar with a smooth lightly veined dark wrapper that has a sweet earthy scent. I toast the foot before snipping the head and lighting up.

The draw is smooth and easy, giving a nice volume of cool liquidy smoke. I pick up a nice earthy taste that's slightly sweet and toasty. It's a medium bodied smoke for now, though that changes a little further on. After the first inch the toastiness starts to develop more along with a woodsy character. The sweet earthiness mellows out a little, but doesn't go away, giving a nice mix.

The second third is similar to the first third. The toastiness builds up, along with the woodsy flavor with a slight smokey note. The sweet earthiness has mellowed out even more, giving way to that toasty character that's built up to medium-full bodied. The toasty character would have been overpowering but the earthy and woodsy flavors kept it in check from being too one sided.

The final third tones down with the toastiness. The sweet earthy and woodsy flavors come back again with a mellower medium body to it. Overall the flavor is a nice mix that brings out the sweetness of the coffee I'm drinking.

I smoked the stick down a little further from what the above photo shows, having about an inch left on it before putting it down. There was plenty of smoke with a nice easy draw that wasn't loose and definitely not tight. The burn was pretty even, though a few times it seemed as though it would canoe but corrected itself shortly after the next puff or two. The above photo is the worst the burn ever got, and that went away quickly. Not a bad cigar at all, with some complexity behind it and a nice bold flavor. If you like medium-full toasty earthy flavors this would do well late afternoon or in the evening.

Have one in the humidor been waiting to try. Thanks for the great review. I might have to move smoking this one up a little :ss

I have had one before but don't remember if it was good or not plus I had just started smoking so I haven't had my taste down. From this review I may have to try it again

Your review was dead-on: I experienced the exact same flavors etc. I do enjoy them.

A nice stick flavor wise but since my tastes have tended towards skinnier smokes lately, these just feel too big.

Got these cheap enough to pass out to friends too.

Back