Maxx "The Fix"

MikeyC

SilverBack
I'm pretty new around here and all the reading I've done about cigars lately has really renewed my interest in cigars. I've been smoking cigars since the mid-90's and that was the last time I really paid any attention to the "cigar world." I knew what I liked and that's what I smoked.

Then I came here and found many of the brands I was familiar with like Macanudo, Partagas, LaGloria Cubana, etc. weren't wildly popular. I read about new names like Tatuaje, Don Pepin, Diamond Crown, Gurkha, etc. So, I decided to branch out.

After recently reading in "Smoke" magazine a GLOWING review (average score of 9.6 from 4 reviewers) of The Fixx, I decided I had to have some. I couldn't believe such a highly rated cigar could have an MSRP of $5/stick. I ordered a 5er along ($23) with a Joe Cigar deal and after letting it sit in my humi for a few weeks I had the chance to try one today.

Here are the particulars:

Maker: Alec Bradley
Filler: Nicarauga, Columbia, Honduras, Mexico
Binder: Costa Rica
Wrapper: Nicarauga
Size: 5" x 58RG

Pre-light: A well constructed cigar. It had a nice firm feel with no soft spots. The wrapper is a deep chocolate color and is nice and oily. It has quite a smooth feel and veins were barely visible. The large ring gauge is quite a thing to see. I gave the cigar a snip with my "V" cutter and took a draw. Definite flavors of leather and cedar.

First third: The cigar lit right up. Immediately, there was tons of thick smoke. I did have to correct the burn in the first 3rd as it was a little uneven. I probably could have left it, but I didn't. :ss The flavors of this cigar were quite strong and complex. Lots of leather and strong woody flavors. There was also some light flavors sweetnes and spiciness at the same time.

Middle third: During the middle of the cigar, I suddenly noticed the bright blue smoke coming from the cigar. I'm not talking a blue-ish hue. I'm talking BLUE. I don't think I've ever seen such a thing. It was probably this color all along, but I didn't initially notice it. The light sweet & spicy flavor faded into the background and the tastes of leather and wood took center stage strongly.

Final third: Another burn correction was done at this point. Again, I probably could have gotten away with leaving it be but again I didn't. :ss In the last third of the cigar the spiciness returned, but this cigar's flavor was dominated the whole way by the leather and woody flavors (and perhaps even some coffee flavor). I smoked this sucker right down to the nub and enjoyed it.

Comments: I enjoyed this cigar quite a bit. The flavors were lovely but maybe a little on the strong side for my taste. I would rate this cigar as full flavored. There was no end to the plumes of smoke throughout and the draw was perfect. Not too easy and not too hard. Plus the blue smoke coming off the end was a lot of fun to watch.

Last edited:
I bought some Maxx seconds a few months ago, the robusto (can't remember the name) and I was surprised at how good a smoke it was. I have had a few more of them and they have been hit and miss (might be why they are seconds) but when they are on they're very good. As far as the smoke, I got the same thing (the blue color and lots of it). Thanks for the review!

I am becoming very interested in the Alec Bradley stuff. I really like the old Trilogy box pressed sticks and just got a new box in of these cigars as well.

MikeyC - Great Review. Props to you!!!

The Fix is a pretty tasty stick. I liked 'em.
Thanks! There are lots of strong flavors in this stick and it's pretty tasty. It's extremely well constructed too. Alec Bradley must have some really skilled rollers working for him.

Good review. I have seen these around and always decided against picking one up. Now I think I will try one.

Can anyone explain the blue smoke? I've had cigars with blue hued smoke but not the Blue blue you are describing.

Good review. I have seen these around and always decided against picking one up. Now I think I will try one.

Can anyone explain the blue smoke? I've had cigars with blue hued smoke but not the Blue blue you are describing.
This is SERIOUSLY blue smoke. I'm curious as well why this cigar would have it when others don't.
Bax said:
Nice review, this is a stick that doesn't get alot of talk around here. Interestingly it was only the smoke coming off the cigar which was blue. The smoke I exhaled was white/grey.

Yeah. I noticed that too. It's part of the reason why I decided to use this cigar as the subject of my first review.

These cigars always looks so imposing to me! Smokinpoke gifted me with the THE EGO...I may have to try it out.

I have always seen the Alec Bradley at my B&M, but avoided them because they looked too fancy or hyped (similar to any CAO). However, you can't judge a book by its cover I suppose. Next time I head in, I will pick one up. Thanks for the review.:ss

This stick is growing on me. I'm not good at describing flavors so I can only say that the flavor profile is different and off the beaten path. Strength is just right....on the stronger side but nothing like a Camacho Corojo or Partagas Black IMO. I must be on a Bradley roll 'cause I got this too last week:

ps2.jpg

Back