May I ask about some brands I've been very curious about?

Rev2010

Maturing Primate
I've been looking at Bolivar, Excalibur, and H. Upmann. What are your opinions on these brands?

BTW, thanks for the replies in my other thread. I want to keep that thread going without taking it off track by asking about these specific brands - hence the seperate thread. Any personal opinions about any of these three brands are appreciated. I've been curious about trying them so any guidance would be apprecaited ;)

Rev.

I know many that like them but I find them to be very generic, save the H Up. Vintage Cameroon. That one, I like.

My opinions are below:

Bolivar (non-cuban) :pu
Excalibur Pretty decent cigar. Worth he price
H. Uppman Cameroon are nice smokes. Like them in the A.M.

Smoke everything you can get your hands on. Others opinions should not dictate what YOU smoke. If YOU like it, buy more. If YOU hate it, pitch it and send the extras to the troops. :tu

In MY opinion, those cigars are decent for the price, nothing that blew my mind. Did like the Dark Knight Excalibur and the Glass Tube Bolivar. :ss

I know many that like them but I find them to be very generic, save the H Up. Vintage Cameroon. That one, I like.
:tpd: The Vintage Cameroon is very nice. I like that one quite a bit myself. The others I can live without.

I just got done doing an H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon and Excalibur back-to-back, actually.

The H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon is well worth it - very tasty cigar. Classic cameroon taste with some woody flavors and a little salty. The Signature Line is supposed to be very good too. The rest are pretty generic.

The Excalibur line by Hoyo de Monterrey is well worth it as well. They have a very light, sweet taste that I've been loving lately. The white shield, brown shield, 1066 and Sterling are all very good with similar profiles that differ in strength. I've just been loving everything Hoyo lately, it's been my favorite brand the last few weeks. Just love the profile. Try the Hoyo de Tradicion (I made a review of this one yesterday) - oh yeah.

Can't say that I've smoked a non-Cuban Bolivar, so can't help ya' there.

If I may ask my own question without starting a new thread to clutter things up, can anyone chime in on the Romeo y Julieta Viejo? CI whores these things like the best thing you'll ever smoke, but I don't really hear anything about them. I want to try a couple, but I don't want to buy a box or a mega sampler or an expensive 5-er and I haven't seen these in any shop anywhere.

Smoke everything you can get your hands on. Others opinions should not dictate what YOU smoke.

Heh, I hear ya. I'm just asking cause it's effective to ask for others opinions. When I'm paying $13-14 per stogie at my typical B&M's it gets a bit pricey experimenting so I figured I'd ask about the three brands I was next looking at trying out. Granted, I won't let opinons solely drive me, but they do help steer to the better selections most of the time :)

Rev.

When I'm paying $13-14 per stogie at my typical B&M's it gets a bit pricey experimenting so I figured I'd ask about the three brands I was next looking at trying out.

Revere, Just a suggestion, try ordering singles online or getting samplers. Save you a lot of time and money and you could get a chance to find some new smokes:tu

Revere, Just a suggestion, try ordering singles online or getting samplers. Save you a lot of time and money and you could get a chance to find some new smokes:tu
This, and also the WTS forum here is a good place to snag some awesome samplers at great prices from other gorillas.

Totally agree with Chippewa. Everyone's tastes, likes, dislikes vary. It's fun tryin' different cigars out for yourself and going from there.

I know I will often check out Top25.com to get an overall idea of the reviews of cigars I'm interested in purchasing. I mean none of us wants to purchase any stink-bombs and waste our hard earned $$$. However, even if a cigar gets average reviews and the price is right, being a newbie I'll give 'em a try. I've already been pleasantly surprised with cigars that many others rate as average.

Also, check out Tampa Humidor's web site. They offer free shipping on singles and their prices aren't too bad. They also have a strong selection of some nice premium cigars.

Good Luck and enjoy!! :tu:ss

There is always the newbie sampler trade thread and the newbie PIFs that provide an opportunity to try different cigars.

Totally agree about the Vintage Cameroons. I bought a bundle from CigarBid on a special, and they rapidly became one of my favorites. I also like the H. Upmann Coronas Major tubo.

Back