Mayorga Gordito Torpedo EMS w/pics

tzaddi

jardinero de la selva
Originally I was going to post this in a thread called "Early morning smoke...what does it for you?"

As I started to write it out and have fun with the words I decided..what the heck I might as well go for it and make it my first review. I realize it may be a little over the top for a $3 cigar but one has to start somewhere and I'm having a good time with it & CS :ss

Well this last Saturday a Mayorga Gordito Torpedo did it for me with a hot cup of "joe".

With coffee ready I grabbed my cutter, lighter and the cigar in question and stepped out through my studio onto the small north deck. The crisp spring air played well with the clouds and sunshine while the outdoor speakers played an eclectic mix of tunes courtesy of Radio Paradise, my favorite internet radio station.
I firmly attached my camera to the left arm of the patio chair using the "Gorillapod", yes it's really called that and it works great. Set the shutter speed, aperture, macro & flash, I was ready for fire.

Here are the stats;
Origin: Nicaragua
Length: 5.00
Ring: 54
Strength: Medium
Wrapper Color: Medium Brown (E)
Wrapper Type: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler:Nicaragua
Shape: Pyramid Square Pressed

I guess with 3 out of 3 being from Nicaragua that makes it a puro by some standards. Yes I know it you can get this in a Costa Rican maduro wrapper but this was IMHO a beauty all dressed up in it's spicy Nicaraguan EMS wrapper. Here judge for yourself... I could not resist that rich, supple, dark leather appearance. Soft but not "mooshy".

DSC03298.jpg

From the clip to the nub never a harsh word was spoken. The prelight aroma/taste was a tease of slightly sweet latte/mocha. The toasting of the foot was pleasing with very subtle burnt sugar/caramel.

The ash was a light gray and held firm indicating a good roll. Noting this I felt connected with the Torcedor and his labors. You don't have to take my word for it...take a look as it did a little "ash-stand".

DSC03301.jpg

From the very start there was a subtle complexity building as the flavor drifted from mocha/latte/leather through light choco/cedar goodness, the finish was reminiscent of true (semi-sweet) mexican hot chocolate with a little pepper/cinnamon. I must confess that the burn got a little off track as I neared the last 2 inches but to my pleasure corrected itself before the nub.

DSC03307.jpg

About 45 minutes that I look forward to repeating.

Thanks for reading. :ss

—Richard

One of my favorites, though I prefer the maduros. After burning through a Mayorga sampler a couple years ago I decided the gordito was the best in the line. Perfect size for a quick but satisfying smoke.

Excellent pics, btw.

Nice review and very nice pics! Sounds like a tasty smoke.

I really need to stop reading reviews of cigars I haven't tried...especially right after I pay my credit card bill! :hn

correction to my post, I like the Maduros also. I haven't tried the EMS Mayorga in the torp.

The non maduro coronas are good smokes too.

As good as the gordito is now, the examples from several years ago when Martin Mayorga still ran the company are amazing! After he sold the brand to JR to concentrate on the coffee importing, something changed with the entire line.

Back