Me vs Nicotine - score: 0:2

-MG-

CS Chat Lurker
Saturday night I had the first cigar I've ever bought myself (and about my 4th ever smoked), a CAO Gold Maduro, and enjoyed it during an hour and a half walk. I took a small bottle of mountain dew with me for sugar, and probably finished about half it during the walk. All went well until about 20 minutes after I got done, I felt like I needed to do a little purging of my own. I had eaten a big meal about an hour before walking, so I assume it's just being new to nicotine that made me sick.

Last night I fired up a Padron Ambassador Natural and didn't make it past a few puffs before deciding that wasn't gonna happen. The taste didn't sit well with me, and I think my body remembered the after effects of the CAO, because I started getting the hint of an unset stomach. I'm almost positive I've had a Padron Natural before with my father in law without problems, so I'm assuming it was just Saturday night's experience that made the padron unpleasant.

Is this normal for somebody with no tolerance to nicotine? if so, how many times to I have to get sick before this stops?!? Seeing how I've got a sampler coming in from CI, and have a few packages coming in from the devil (why, oh why did I ever click that link??!), and have some beads from Heartfelt on their way, I'm pretty motivated to get through this :ss

Any suggestions, or just keep on trying?

You'll get over it, bro... hell... soon you'll be wondering what's wrong with you because you don't get your ass handed to you by cigars...

:tu

It takes a special human to fight through something that's trying to kill him so he can keep doing it so it can kill him later. :D
Rub dirt in it and take a lap.
And quit inhaling. :r

Yah, not to mention, you're not exactly smoking mild-medium bodied smokes.

First and foremost, try a couple smaller vitolas, with more mild fillers and a tad less spicy or strong wrappers. Make sure you're not inhaling the smoke.

I'd suggest a Casa Torano in Robusto size. Also, do not smoke any La Gloria Cubana or Joya De Nicotina..err Nicaragua smokes until you're more adept :D

Yah, not to mention, you're not exactly smoking mild-medium bodied smokes.

I don't have a good feel for the strengths of anything yet... soo much to read, so little time.

I've got a vega fina left at home, and the CI Premium Sampler #1 headed my way.... Care to recommend the order of the first few I should try?

Yeah, just try and buy the smaller sticks :tu
I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!
And as for the sampler, i would try the Perdomo or Fonseca first.

Could be a few things you are doing to make yourself sick,,,,inhaling the smoke,,,chewing the end of the cigar and making a tobacco mess and bringing the nicotine directly into your system ( much like dipping snuff ) or your just a panty waist,,,lol. Try some mild cigars and work your way up to the heavy duty cigars and enjoy the ride on the way up.

I don't have a good feel for the strengths of anything yet... soo much to read, so little time.

I've got a vega fina left at home, and the CI Premium Sampler #1 headed my way.... Care to recommend the order of the first few I should try?

I would try some 5 vegas golds. A very mild smoke that has little nicotine at all. They do best with a bit of age on them. Some of the Chateau Fuentes are pretty nice to start with. Don't go for the double cheateau as they are quite large... Any of the 8-5-8 maduros are pretty mild as well. You can always ask the people at the B&M for a good mild smoke as well. They are usually very helpful.

Definitely keep drinking some soda with it. I prefer coke with my stuff as that seems to help dissolve some of the nicotine and save it later so it helps me pace it out a bit. Make sure you take regular drinks when you feel a bit of buildup in your mouth. I try to finish a coke with the first cigar or any strong ones I smoke like anejos. :tu

Smoke slower and have a nice sugary drink. Also, wait a week or so before going back in. Give your brain time to empty it's cache. Think positive thoughts. :tu

When myself and a friend started smoking cigars 6 years ago, we definitly experienced what you were for the first several cigars. We found that smoking on a full stomach helped a lot, and after a month or so the nausea stopped happening. Also, try to find milder smokes to start out with. They will be much easier on you.

I also noticed that you mentioned walking around with you cigar. I would very much recommend you find a comfortable seat to plant yourself after a big meal when smoking. Walking and smoking can speed up your heart rate considerably.

I also noticed that you mentioned walking around with you cigar. I would very much recommend you find a comfortable seat to plant yourself after a big meal when smoking. Walking and smoking can speed up your heart rate considerably.

Not to mention you'll probably end up smoking faster.

Yupper- EZ does it. I agree you should try to smoke while sitting down and relaxing. Also, smoke SLOWLY! As with most things, experience will help. It's always possible that strong smokes and you don't agree. Try some milder smokes and see what they do to you. Full stomach and sugar handy good idea also! Indeed, a two week hiatus or so might help as well.

Good for you not quitting. Being made sick a coupla times might make a weaker man throw in the towel(After throwing up other things!) So, hang in there!

Very good advice. When relaxing, you'll smoke slower and perhaps "have a more harmonious outcome".

WyoBob

remember my first few times I got sick :S not a good thing.

One of the first cigars to do this to me was a partagas short. I remember thinking "Oh this is a small smoke, it wont get to me". Mistake... It really had a kick for me on nicotine, and a few minutes after finishing, it almost made me puke. hahaha, I could hold myself, but it did affect me :p hehe.

I think what you experienced is natural your first time.

Also, remember that everyone's tastes are different - you may only smoke the first half of a robusto until you develop the tastes for smoking a 2+hr churchill. Experiment and see where your tastes develop.

Some recommendations for mild smokes, and definitely try the smaller sizes first:
Casa Torano
5 Vegas Gold
RP Connecticut
CAO Gold (non-maduro)
Perdomo Champagne

I found that looking at internet p*rn helps with mine... of course that's the cure for all my problems. :ss

Seriously, it sounds like you're just smoking too fast. You've got great advice here so far, smaller and slower.

Back