Medical Update..... For those wondering

DSturg369

ChestBeater
As some of you may know, I was diagnosed with Colorectal Cancer back in August of 2007. I've been through the chemo and radiation treatments... last treatment was on December 14th.

A couple weeks ago, I had my 3 month follow-up and there was still "something" there.

A week ago I was in surgery for yet another deep tissue biopsy. The results came back and there are still cancer cells present, although it's suspected that the invasive cancer is, for now, retarded..... So the risk of it spreading is greatly lessened. On top of that, and a more pressing matter is that the radiation also killed the good cells in the biopsy area, resulting in a substantial fissure (or hole), and the area is not healing and causing quite a bit of pain issues for me.

Was informed today that I will again be in surgery on April 22nd, to remove the entire mass and all scar tissue from the area for further biopsy study.... A one to two night stay in the hospital.... Not that bad.

When the results are back from that, I will have 2 options, depending on the type of remaining cancer cells and the amount of tissue that has to be removed.......

Option #1: A Monday thru Friday, 2-hour daily stay in a Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Chamber to stimulate new cell growth in the damaged area. The Dr's are telling me that it's not known how many weeks this could take, but can be for 3 months. If this procedure works, I will begin to heal and all is done.

Option #2: If the area that has to be removed is deemed "to large" or if later, the tissue shows little or no response to the Hyperbaric Chamber Therapy, I will have the entire lower colon and rectal areas removed, and have a Colostomy, which will be permanent.

During the procedure on the 22nd, I could wake up to find that the Colostomy has already been performed, depending on the amount of tissue that has to be removed.

So....... If I disappear for a few days, you know why. No 'net in the hospital.

My spirits are high, I have my wife by my side, and I know that whatever does happen, things will be OK.

wow, good luck over the next few weeks and then especially the recovering times in the months after. Seems that option #1 is the best so really hope that ends up being the case

I will be praying for you, Dale!

Will you be at MCG, University, or Humana? The hyperbaric chamber makes me think Humana. At any rate, may the Lord's healing hand be upon you and bring your body much needed strength - all from his limitless supply. :tu

Take care, brother. Looking forward to hearing the good results.

- Joe

Prayers and thoughts for you and your family.

May God bless you and keep you safe and your family strong through this.

Hugs,
The Clarks

Surgery is done, and I'm back home now. Very sore but no colostomy, for which I am thankful. The mass and scar tissue that was removed was sent away for biopsy and I should have the results some time next week. Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts during this. Just wanted to update things.

Back