Microwave to dry your beads?

SUOrangeGuy

Alpha Silverback
Hey everyone,

I was sitting at my table earlier drying my beads with a hair dryer (tedious, messy, and time consuming) and wondered if anyone has ever tried to dry them by nuking them for a minute or so? Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

I know you can use the oven but I don't want the hassle.

thanks, Anthony

Hey everyone,

I was sitting at my table earlier drying my beads with a hair dryer (tedious, messy, and time consuming) and wondered if anyone has ever tried to dry them by nuking them for a minute or so? Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

I know you can use the oven but I don't want the hassle.

thanks, Anthony

Microwaves do not heat things that way a conventional oven does. Microwaves send out radio waves that are the right frequency to cause water molecules to begin to vibrate/rotate. This movement in water translates into heat.

You would basically be heating the water to a point where it can melt the beads, without actually causing the water to be released.

So no, do not do this. Do not ever use a microwave to dry something out. It won't work, you will damage whatever you put in, damage the microwave, and possibly damage yourself.

So no, do not do this. Do not ever use a microwave to dry something out. It won't work, you will damage whatever you put in, damage the microwave, and possibly damage yourself.

Except socks, it works for socks. And no I'm not telling how I know this.

I believe the result would be a bead explosion. Beads would be rolling everywhere when you opened the door. Just let them air dry.

Haven't tried the micro wave experiment, but I have put five beads on a doubled piece of tin foil and heated them with a tourch. It takes a a lot to screw with silicon! I can't say it doesn't have an over all effect, but it took a long time for a bead to burn, the tin foil burned first. Try half a dozen beads full of moisture and let us know. I would try it but you asked first LOL.

So that's what the un-employed do with their time, huh, Rob? :r

I don't see why the microwave shouldn't work, as long as you are cautious. Don't heat them too fast or too hot and you should be okay. (of course if your oven explodes and burns down your house and kills your pets don't come crying to me) :tg

I think this would be a great viral video to send out. Do it and videotape the whole thing pleeeeeeeese!!!!!

Wear protective gear and have fun!

Microwave heats from the inside out. I wouldn't try it. Viper posted this on another board
"The quickest way to dry out Heartfelt Beads is to place the beads on an oven safe dish and place them in the oven at 180 degrees until they are white. Works pretty quick."
I'd go with him.

Actually, Microwaves send out......microwaves :)

I refer you to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave

Microwaves are a special classification of "radio waves". The reason I said "radio waves" is because most people understand those, at least to some degree, and I wanted to be sure that it was understood that this is not "heat" in the traditional sense, but rather a frequency of wave generation.

Which is exactly the point of why it won't work. :)

mocrowaves do have a tendancy to dry every thing out, I guess I'll have to try it!
This is why it is called an experiment!

So that's what the un-employed do with their time, huh, Rob? :r

I don't see why the microwave shouldn't work, as long as you are cautious. Don't heat them too fast or too hot and you should be okay. (of course if your oven explodes and burns down your house and kills your pets don't come crying to me) :tg

This and play with them selves a lot! LOL. Defrost 15 sec. at intervals and allow plenty of cool down time in between.

Maybe the BOTLs and SOTLs in Arizona could create a Bead Ranch. We could send our beads for a one week spa vacation. When they came back they would be all dry and ready to go back to work.:D

BTW, I do not microwave anything that I am not going to eat.;)

Someone asked this question a while ago so I tried it so I would have a good answer.

Just think of Pop Corn and you will have an idea of the result. :po

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone asked this question a while ago so I tried it so I would have a good answer.

Just think of Pop Corn and you will have an idea of the result. :po

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!

:r and THANKS for trying this out!
I have a heat gun that I blast at my beads for ~2 mins. Seems to work - I can see a color change in the beads.
I think I will try your prior recommendation & use the oven @ 180 !

I know that the microwave isn't the newest invention in the world, but has the toaster oven or regular oven been completely replaced by it now?

If you really want to dry alot of beads, I bet a convection oven would really evaporate the moisture....

Back