Mixed feelings: Taboo

andrewk

ChestBeater
So I was gifted my first few taboo sticks and I have been really excited to smoke them!

I smoked a HSG lancero - incredible. Tasty and perfect burn.
I smoked a SF robusto and it was a champ and a power house. Awesome taste, really bold flavor. I will be buying more!

Now, the stick I was most excited about. A Twist torpedo.
It was beautiful, prefect roll and beautiful wrappers.
Lighting it up. The first flavors were pretty tasty, a bit light.

Here is where it gets weird - only the lighter wrapper would burn!
So the dark wrapper would sizzle and blacken, but wouldnt catch. I kept touching it up, eventually resorting to torching the crap out of it to keep the cigar from being completely lop sided.
Needless to say this made the flavor harsh, bitter, and practically unenjoyable.
I am disappointed and curious as to how this could happen. I wish I had take pics because it was almost comical...

So I was gifted my first few taboo sticks and I have been really excited to smoke them!

I smoked a SF robusto and it was a champ and a power house. Awesome taste, really bold flavor. I will be buying more!

So the dark wrapper would sizzle and blacken, but wouldnt catch. I kept touching it up, eventually resorting to torching the crap out of it to keep the cigar from being completely lop sided.
Needless to say this made the flavor harsh, bitter, and practically unenjoyable.
I am disappointed and curious as to how this could happen. I wish I had take pics because it was almost comical...

Wow.. i got gifted 2 of these over the weekend.. person who gifted them to me said they where resting a while.. and both of mine did the same exact thing!.. not bashing taboo in the least.. i still definatly want to try more (when i have the budget) :( and i heard great things about them.. But the same exact thing JUST happened to me. you could literally hear it sizzling right?

I've had similar results with thick dark wrappers like those used on the La Flor Dominicana cabinet oscuros. They tend to burn much better when kept at 60% - 65% RH and NOT smoked outside on a very humid day. Too much moisture is absolutely brutal for a thick wrapper leaf. :2

But the same exact thing JUST happened to me. you could literally hear it sizzling right?

Yep it woud sizzle, blacken a bit and just hang there as the natural burned away. The dark hung on alone for over half a turn at one point.

I had also heard such great things and was excited so I would like to try one again, but gosh this makes it hard to risk a purchase of more...

I hear ya.. i didnt pay.. i traded straight up bit lsot a few oliva's :) lol all well and good.. im still excited to try more.. i just am broke ..

again not bashing taboo, i hear nothing but great things about them. I guess i just had a bum experience :(

i was looking so forward to the twists!

Wow. Weird. Well ... I've only smoked a couple twists so far, both those and one I gifted burned perfectly.

Very odd.

i ordered three to try i only had problems with the twist, same thing happened only then the darker wrapper started to come off comepletely, draw was also pretty tight. it had good flavor but it was just to much work. i don't think it's the norm or people wouldn't be raving about these things.

Last edited:
I would imagine that if you told Rob what happened, you'd probably have some new twists sitting in your mailbox in a couple days! I know he'd want to at least here the complaint... :2

again not bashing taboo, i hear nothing but great things about them. I guess i just had a bum experience :(

Same here- I would definitely order the other cigars again- in a heartbeat. I was really impressed with them overall and would recommend taboo to anyone. (just not the twists now)

I also like the way the guys from taboo are so active on CS! It reflects really well on you as a company that you interact so directly and seem to care so much about your customers.

Bruzee: you are probably right about wanting to hear the complaint- Ill shot him a pm pointing to this.

Must have been an anomaly!!!:confused:

I've never experienced this!

Agree 100%! This is not the norm. PM sent back to Brother Andrew. I will be smoking a Twist Torp in the next 30 seconds and will report back here when I am done. I have been smoking the Twist nearly everyday, but I honestly had not had the Torp in about 10 days or so.
I do know on occasions the burn is a little different as it burns through the different wrappers. It may look like there is going to be a problem but if you are patient and sometimes with a very slight touch up the problem corrects itself. Burn problems are VERY RARE with this blend. The Twist are not meant to burn fast. They are slow burners. If you try to smoke them too fast, I would expect problems. I thank Andrew for sending his pm to me. I'm more than happy to help him out.
I'm off to smoke the Torp! :ss

Have a great day CS!:tu
Rob

The sticks i had trouble with over the weekend werent the torp's.. it was the robusto's.. one of the best looking sticks ive ever held in my hand.. but the smoke didnt follow up.

I've only had about 5 twists (far more than any other single cigar I've ever had) and have yet to run into a burn problem. The Twist is just the most amazing cigar I've ever tried, HANDS DOWN. I would put the bank on it being an anomaly.

I love the fact that the manufacturers and retailers will come to this board to speak with the customers. Great customer service is often characterized by how someone responds when things are not perfect -- doing so in public shows a real commitment to make things right for the end-user.

The sticks i had trouble with over the weekend werent the torp's.. it was the robusto's.. one of the best looking sticks ive ever held in my hand.. but the smoke didnt follow up.

pm me if you ever have a "bad" experience with any Taboo. 99% of them are fine but I know more about my own cigars than anyone and can only help (and want to help) you if you let me know.

TABOO GUARANTEE:

Although I can not guarantee everyone will like every Taboo Cigar blend we have, I do guarantee the quality of the cigar.
If you try all 11 of the long filler blends (we have the new EB II Nat. now), approx. 80% of you will like 1-5 of them. Very few of us like ALL the blends. I don't like ALL the blends within any brand unless they only have one or two blends.

pm me if you are not completely satisfied with our product or service. You can also call the warehouse and talk to me. I take care of the Taboo Family.

SMOKE TABOO:ss

Thanks CS
Rob

It looks like we have enough folks here to have a Taboo Contest!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Maybe later in the week?:tu

I just finished a Twist Churchill. Perfection.
I am now smoking the Torp. Just lit, I'll report back. Ok, so far.

Thanks CS
Rob

It looks like we have enough folks here to have a Taboo Contest!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Maybe later in the week?:tu

I just finished a Twist Churchill. Perfection.
I am now smoking the Torp. Just lit, I'll report back. Ok, so far.

Thanks CS
Rob

Contest!!! Oh Yeah!!!:tu

Back