Modern Marvels - Tobacco

AAlmeter

HOT for HILLARY!!
Anyone catch it last night on the History Channel?

I only saw part of it and was interrupted a lot, but they showed patches of the rolling process and interviewed Carlos Jr.

yeah i watched it last night
found it very interesting....didn't know Opus X aged there tobacco in sherry barrels:)

too bad i missed it. I was flipping through the channels and didn't see anything good so i just turned it off... too bad

I watched this last night. First half of the show was primarily dedicated to cigarettes, how they're made, etc. All I have to say is WOW. I mean I knew they added stuff to cigarette tobacco, but some of the stuff they listed! In addition, they use 'recycled' tobacco for cigs. Yes, the stale stuff that comes back from the stores AND scraps from the floor.

It was interesting that they chose the Fuente Opus X as the example for aging tobacco, rolling, etc. Had Carlos Jr on for several segments on the process. Also spent a few minutes on pipe tobacco, and smokeless tobacco.

I think the show was well done. There's only so much info you can stuff into an hour, and for the most part, it was educational and interesting. Surprisingly they spent very little time discussing the medical issues associated with tobacco use. Primarily pointed out that cigar/pipe users don't typically inhale, resulting in fewer cases of lung disease.

This was a great show for someone who isn't aware of the history of tobacco, or it's many uses. For most BOTL's, I would assume the show was really just a teaser, as there were so many things that could have been put into the show had it been a little longer.

Keep looking at the History channel, as I'm sure it will be on again sometime in the near future.

Watched most of the first half and the part about cigars.

Pretty disgusting the way cigarettes are made. It would make me want to quit real quick if I smoked 'em.

The cigar part was real interesting though. Did Carlos Jr. say that around 400 pairs of hands touches the tabacco from start to finish? Wow. I also drouled :dr (a lot according to my wife) when they showed the aging room.

<edited cuss I cain't spel!>

I saw it and it was interesting. The pipe tobacco company featured is from ComicBookFreak's and my hometown!?! Didn't know that!!

How can anyone smoke a cigarette after watching that! :pu

:ms NCRM

yeah i watched it last night
found it very interesting....didn't know Opus X aged there tobacco in sherry barrels:)

Some kind of barrels to be sure. There are mag ads showing Carlito in front of a barrel of tobacco with his face and a lit cigar poking through a fermented leaf; he is wearing a black shirt. It is a large barrel, but the type of barrel is not specified.

I've got it recorded on a MediaCenter PC, I'm going to watch it tonight. If anyone knows a way to transcode MCPC files to something else, I could probably send it to a few people that missed it.

I saw it, and it was very interesting. They really bashed cigarettes on the health side, but made sure to say that because of not inhaling, cigar and pipe smokers are at a far lower risk than cigarette smokers. To tell you the truth, all those silhouettes of the smokers made me crave a stogie, but it was almost 2am :(

I saw it at 10:00 and it made me want one, then I fell asleep on the couch until about 2 am. Getting old just plain bites!

I saw it, and it was very interesting. They really bashed cigarettes on the health side, but made sure to say that because of not inhaling, cigar and pipe smokers are at a far lower risk than cigarette smokers. To tell you the truth, all those silhouettes of the smokers made me crave a stogie, but it was almost 2am :(

Back