Mold on RyJ Clemenceau Tubos.......

Greenwit

Gorilla
Just got these a couple of weeks ago.....the sticks come in aluminum tubes so I unscrewed the tops and put 'em in the bottom of my Gettysburg humidor. I use 70% beads BTW for humidification. Anyway I check today and there is mold on one of the gars. Then on two and three....all ten of 'em. Just small white dots on various parts. I looked closely and only the RyJ tubos are effected. I immediately removed 'em from the Gettysburg and out of the tubes, wiped off the white stuff and stuck 'em in my small, empty (well, it was empty) desktop humidor. I'm pretty sure it is mold and not bloom.

Have any of you had problems with mold and tubos? I'm wondering what caused this. The cigar is in an enclosed environment, even with the top off. I'm thinking that the UPS trip in hot dry weather might have dried 'em a bit and then that clashed with a humid environment. I'm pretty sure they didn't come with mold 'cause I've had three so far which were fine.

greenwit

ryj clemenceau's were discontinued 15 or 20 years ago and(i believe)never came in an aluminum tube.

unless of course you are talking about cigars not made in cuba.

derrek :)

If you are talking about the Dominican Clemenceus, which I assume you are, I have never experienced mold on these. These used to be one of my favorites when I first got into cigars, so I smoked quite a few of them. I personally have never had a problem with tubes, but some others who have more experience may be able to provide more insight on this.

I find mold on our RyJ Tubos at work quite often. Just about every tubo we carry seems to be more mold prone than non-tubos.

If it easily wipes off it is NOT bloom. I have had a lot of mold problems with the RyJ cedros (NC of course). My humidity is a solid 68% usually and I haven't had any problems since. I just checked my last RyJ tubo from a box I split with a friend last year and it looks just fine. Good luck!

Jsabbi01 said:
If it easily wipes off it is NOT bloom. I have had a lot of mold problems with the RyJ cedros (NC of course). My humidity is a solid 68% usually and I haven't had any problems since. I just checked my last RyJ tubo from a box I split with a friend last year and it looks just fine. Good luck!

Wiped off easily and I also believe it is mold....though it couldn't have been growing for too long. The sticks are quaranteened in another humidor and I am watching 'em closely. I added a couple of cheapo seconds in order to see if the mold persists and is transferred. So far, no signs of regrowth.

I'm no mold expert but it seems to me that if you unscrew the caps and expose them to room air, which can contain contaminents including mold, then the environment is good for mold growth inside an open tube. After all, it is an enclosed environment inside the tube, even with the cap off as air doesn't breathe very liberally. The moldy parts of the stick were near the cap/band....or the enclosed part of the tube. I think in the future, if I were to ever buy more tubos, I'll either remove the sticks completely or leave the tube sealed. Thanks y'all for your input.

Back