Montecristo H-2000 Buena Fortuna Review

Mr. Doug

Gorilla
I have a few hours to kill tonight, and enjoyed doing a review earlier today, so I decided to search out and see what else I had that nobody'd reviewed yet.

I bought a box of Montecristo Peruvians a few weeks ago because they came with a free humidor. I won't get into the humidor, but the cigars were nice enough, so I'll give my honest opinion over the next hour or so...

Here we go...

From the website:
Wrapped in a super-spicy, chocolate-brown Habana 2000 wrapper, the Montecristo H2000 Peruvian cigars also contain a healthy dose of piquant Peruvian ligero in the filler. The result is a full bodied dynamo of a cigar with a peppery core and a super robust flavor. This is one of our most popular cigars with smokers who crave a smoke that packs a punch. These box pressed sizzlers are highly recommended for those who like their whiskey neat, coffee fully leaded and hot sauce on everything!

mch2000_1.jpg

This bad-boy comes donning a triple-cap, and an attitude. Wetting it with my lips left me thinking I'd just licked the pepper shaker clean.

mch2000_2.jpg

The wrapper is SLIGHTLY oily. I don't mind that...it tells me that I'm in for a treat most times. I was a little miffed that the band was a little off-center, but I'll get over it. (I'm going to pull the think in 45min anyways.)

After clipping it, I see a nice tight filter. There are a few stems as a base, so that's fine. They are all centered and appear to be where they are supposed to be.

mch2000_2_1.jpg

Lighting this bad-boy up is an experience.

::: Rewind 9 years :::
I'm in the Bahamas for my honeymoon. It's 1998 and Cigars are pretty hot. We stop by Graycliff hotel for lunch, and I pop into the Humidor to buy a few stogies.

I didn't smoke any there, but when I got home, I was ready to go. One of the few that I bought was a Punch that I was told "Is very peppery." I smoked it at a bar in Lyndhurst OH, and had to walk out before I embarrassed myself coughing. "Peppery" was a bit of an understatement.

I WISH I remembered the cigar, because I want to try another...but that was a long time ago, and I wasn't keeping bands at that point. O-Well.

::: Present Day ::: (Like right now as I'm typing this.)

Firing this cigar up takes me RIGHT back to that bar in August of 1998. There is a LOT of pepper in this baby. Wow...

There is a mild undertone of cedar, but the primary goal if this cigar is to make sure that you understand that there is a spicy pepper involved.

mch2000_3.jpg

10 or o puffs into it, and the initial shock has worn off....a little.

Don't get me wrong...I'm in love with this cigar. It's a pretty powerful little bugger to say the least.

Can I see myself lighting one of these more than 1-2 tomes a month? No.

Am I enjoying the hell out of this one? You bet!

I lit the H-2000 at 7:15 when it was still light outside. It's now 8:30...it's only about 1/2 way done, and it is quite dark out.

While I'm puffing away and typing, I'll say that the spicy taste is still going strong, but I'm growing more accustomed to it. I'll bet if you fed me Chocolate, and Wax right now and asked me to tell the difference, I wouldn't be able to. (I'm sure my wife will appreciate that comment if I kiss her later.)

Just past the half-way mark and I'm having a little bit of a problem keeping it lit. Am I smoking it too hard? I don't think so. I'm normally a 1-2 Puff-Per-Min guy, so it isn't like when I was in high-school trying to get a Marlboro in before spanish class.

I re-lit it and got a little smoke dissipating from the front as I was drawing on it...

I'm going to let it sit for a few min and see what happens...hopefully it evens out.

We're back in business now...

After letting it sit for a few min, I'm happy to report that my burn issues are a thing of the past.

Sidenote: My wife stuck her head out the kitchen door, 60ft from me, and said that she can smell it all the way over there. Normally, I get no flack...today, I'm hearing about it.

That tells me 2 things...

#1 - This is a strong cigar.

#2 - She needs to close the door. ;)

mch2000_10.jpg

We're back in business now...

That tells me 2 things...

#1 - This is a strong cigar.

#2 - She needs to close the door. ;)

I am wracked with such hearty guffaws that in addition to rolling to and fro on the floor, my posterior has separated itself from my body.

Smoke is still thick, but far from creamy.

This little ba$tard isn't for your everyday smoke. I'm finding myself not wanting to take another puff...but being drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

At $140 a box, you are close to $6 for one of these little buggers...but I think it's worth it if you want an ass-kicking now and then.

mch2000_11.jpg

^ You can tell I'm real happy about that puff...

I'm calling this one. I have about 1.5" left and I can't bring myself to puff again.

Recap: If you like a little cigar with your pepper, hot-sauce in your black coffee, and a swift kick in the tongue now and then. This is your stogie!

Thanks for the review. I agree that this is one peppery and spicy smoke. I love peppery and spicy (ie. pepin), but this smoke is a little too much for me.

Back