Montecristo No. 1 Review.

ToddziLLa

ShackHerf.com
This is my first review folks, so please bear with me! (I did a search for this cigar and came up with nothing, so I apologize if this has already been reviewed.)

Anyway, I just enjoyed a Montecristo No. 1. First taste impressions were a subtle nutty taste which intensified through the entire cigar. The middle third introduced very subtle hints of earth which went away by the last third. The last third was the best tasting, as it usually is, and the stronger nut taste joined flavors of spice, which also grew stronger with every puff and ended with a very pleasant medium-full taste.

Aroma was also very pleasant throughout and grew better towards the end.

Unfortunately, the build of this cigar was lacking to say the least. Starting off it had a very tight, strong pack and the wrapper was amazing, but half-way through the wrapper cracked almost an entire inch which disappointed me.

Name: Montecristo No. 1
Size: 6.62 X 44
Date: 10/28/2005
Taste: 4
Finish: 4
Draw: 4.5
Burn: 3
Buzz: 3.5
Impression: 4
Avg: 3.833 / 5

In words, this cigar was "Very Good" out of "Poor" "Fair" "Good" "Very Good" "Excellent" and "Amazing."

The excellent flavor through and through was enough to outweigh the lacking build quality and cracked wrapper, so overall I was very pleased with this cigar.

f2k86c.jpg

Sounds like you had a bad constructed one, or it was a little on the dry side. Give it another go, these are great the doms have that nutty taste and the cubans have the fruity type taste with twang, so thats what separates the two. You can get a box of the doms for $116, a damn good price, try another one, ive smoked alot of these and never had a bad one, not even a tear on them.

ToranoFan said:
Sounds like you had a bad constructed one, or it was a little on the dry side. Give it another go, these are great the doms have that nutty taste and the cubans have the fruity type taste with twang, so thats what separates the two. You can get a box of the doms for $116, a damn good price, try another one, ive smoked alot of these and never had a bad one, not even a tear on them.
You nailed it on the head. It was very dry, and as of now funds aren't coming around to purchase my first humi, so I guess I'll have to live with that until I get one! I'm sure these are great cigars, and I will give it another shot once I get the chance!

ToddziLLa said:
You nailed it on the head. It was very dry, and as of now funds aren't coming around to purchase my first humi, so I guess I'll have to live with that until I get one! I'm sure these are great cigars, and I will give it another shot once I get the chance!

Toddzilla,
I have a suggestion for the interim that will help.

First get yourself a nice size Tupperware (plastic) box that seals air tight. Make sure it has a see-through lid. I would suggest buying a relative humidity meter from you local tobacconist to keep an eye on the moist levels in your new humi.

Second step, go and buys a couple of your favorite cigars and 2 or 3 more in tubes. Now remove the cedar linings from the tubes and place it in your air tight plastic humi. You now need to add a small bowl stuffed with a sponge (any really as long as it is clean and have no odor). Fill this with water and add this, your cigars and meter to the box, make sure you keep them both clear of the water. Keep an eye on the meter (not exceeding 75% and not below 60%). It could take a couple of days to “charge” your sticks to the right humidity levels. I would suggest also reading up on humidor setup and maintenance as there will be no differences.

Remember, every time you open it the levels will drop. This is very cheap and works really well.

Yep Kwagga has the right idea. The little tupperware container will work perfectly. Remember the only thing that separates the nicely built spanish cedar humidors and the small tupperware boxes is how it looks and holds humidity and of course price. But for the time being in sure you will be able to find a tupperware box that will hold up to 10 cigars or even a handful more. You should be able to get the container and humidifier for almost nothing, but what will cost a little more is the PG solution. Then your all set you wont even need a hygrometer using PG solution as its 70 % RH on the 50/50 PG to water scale.

You can somewhat enjoy a cigar on the dry side as long as its not too dry, but you cant judge it properly, because proper humidifcation makes all the difference to the burn and taste profile, i wish you luck.

We all start somewhere and on a side note huge 3 KG tubs make great tupperware containers, if your into bodybuilding and buy protein supplements you will already have one and can use that.

Best of luck brother

Back