Moore & Bode

RevSmoke

Evolving Lead Gorilla
In reading here for a couple months now, I have not seen these mentioned.

There are a boutique brand that has been around for at least 13 years.

They have their Miami line and their Flamboyan line (a little fuller).

Personally, this is about the best tasting mild to medium cigar on the market. It is a bit pricey, about like the Padron '64 line.

Anybody else had or heard of these?

Just was reading about these. A friend of mine is going to little Havana in Miami to pick me up some cigars for my birthday. Moore & Bode was one of the places on my list to check out. How much of a priority should I put on having him pick some of these up. Sounds like you are a fan. Can you say a bit more about your experience with them. Anything more you can say about the flavor profile? Thanks.

I've heard good things about them, been intrigued, but never really went out of my way to try one.

I think maybe 2 guys smoke shop carries them.

i tried a few when they first came out, and i remember them being a very good mild cigar, but over-priced (IMHO). i think they also had construction issues.

A little bit more about the blends... First a bit of history, they began production in 1982, so they've been around. Here's an interview done at Cigar Nexus that gives some more great information. http://www.mooreandbode.com/cigarnex1.htm

2 Guys does not carry M&B, Iwan Ries does

The reason I was there because I believe that it is rolled in a unique manner, I think it is called entubar? Instead of the normal way of making the "Bunch" and then adding the binder, the bunch is made by rolling all the individual leave into little tube and then "bunch"ing the collection of tubes and then adding the binder.

Another item of interest is their "band". It is a small circular sticker that is applied directly to the cigar. To the head on the parallels and very near the head on the pyramides - it is stuck to the cigar and will take a very small amount of the wrapper with it when removed. On the head, it is going to be cut off. On the side, just leave it. It is designed to take off a bit of wrapper - nobody and buy their cigar and remove the label and put their own band on - the cigar woul have a small section of wrapper missing. On the Pyramides, I just leave it on, I don't smoke it that far anyway - close though.

Another interesting tidbit is that they deep freeze all their cigars after rolling. Yes, they do it for you. No fumigation techniques, a serious cold freeze to kill any possible bad boys.

On to some flavor issues - I have only sample 2 of their 4 blends, the Miami & Flamboyan.

Miami series is described as having a light, dry, floral character. I don't know about that. It sports one of the most gorgeous, light-colored, Connecticut wrappers I have seen. Yes, it is mild-bodied, and the slower it is smoked, the more it is enjoyed. There are some floral undertones, but I found it light and nutty, the sideslip aroma was gorgeous. Amazingly, there is some complexity here that the mildness would belie - you smoke slow because you are trying to get a handle on the nuances of different tastes that are subtley present.

The Flamboyan blend is heavier-bodied, but definitely not considered full. This is also a complex blend, but the flavors are bolder. I like a spicy cigar, and this one isn't clearly that, but tantalizingly hints at it. There are flavors of rich coffee, nuts and white chocolate. This is my personal favorite of the two, but both are exceptional.

I had stumbled on the cigarnexus article and found it interesting. It is nice to get some feedback from someone who has actually smoked the blends. I'll try to get a few to try.
Thanks

I have also smoked both the Miami and the Flamboyan. The Flamboyan is a bit fuller in flavor than the Miami, but not by much. Either way, I rate them both, on the boarder, between mild and medium. As I mentioned, the Flamboyan is slightly fuller in flavor than the Miami, however, IMHO, the Miami Line is more complex and enjoyable to smoke. For me, the Miami Line offers distinct floral nuances and hints of honey and nutmeg. The problem with M&B cigars is that they are overpriced and very hard to find. Even the few shops that carry them, usually do not have any in stock.

Back