More beetle talk

mash

Evolving Lead Gorilla
These discussions about beetles got me thinking I should check out my humi. Have had an outbreak before and I was lucky to catch it early. I just got a cabinet humi and have stocked up in a big way, many sticks to go through. Took a piece of plain white paper and laid it out on the kitchen table, started out, looked at the wrappers, tapped some of the sticks to shake out any dust, checked out the bottom of the boxes for dust, beetles. Got halfway through, all looked OK. Then I see a small flying insect hovering above the table, it's pretty small and doesn't look like a beetle to my eyes, almost more like a fruit fly though it doesn't fly well. Anyway, went back and doublechecked the boxes I'd already done, then did the rest. 2 1/2 hours later finished. No suspicion of anything, the only sticks I didn't go through individually were a couple of 50 cab bundles in SLB's. Lifted the bundles up, held them down, tapped the heads and looked at the bottom of the boxes. I'm obviously a bit freaked out, short of my house going up in flames this is real cigar anxiety.
Couple of questions, realize this is speculation:
1) If this had been an adult beetle, isn't it likely I would have seen some evidence somewhere in one of my boxes of something else?
2) My cab is temp and humi controlled so from here on in shouldn't be the conditions for beetles. How long do I need to check my stock now before I can be reasonably assured that I'm safe?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any help.

If the bug you saw flying around was a beetle and he came from your sticks, there would have been evidence of such (dust, holes, etc). If you keep the temperature in the 60s, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Back