More from the senate-

Guitarman-S.T-

...Got Metal?
these following letters are what has come of my very own personal inquirers and also just trying to do my part in keeping this favored pass-time, along with this great cultural icon flowing and continuing to grow well and strong into the future and able to surpass the many tax's thrown in front of that given direction. These are there responses... You be the judge.. all I can say is Minnesota is well lost-
S.T-

Dear Mr. Hastings :

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding your concerns regarding tobacco tax increases and the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).

As you may know, the Senate version of the SCHIP Reauthorization bill (H.R. 976) was passed by the Senate with bipartisan support on August 2, 2007. This legislation reauthorizes the State Children's Health Insurance Program for an additional five years and invests $35 billion to cover 3.3 million children currently not covered by the program. I support this bill because it helps protect Minnesota kids from losing health insurance and helps to address the 86,000 kids in Minnesota currently without coverage.

I am sensitive to your concerns regarding provisions in this bill to increase the tax on tobacco products. This proposal includes a 61 cent increase in tax on a pack of cigarettes and a tax on large cigars that will be 53.3 percent of the manufacturer's sale price, with a cap of $10 per cigar. However it is important to note that the average tax on 94% of all popular-price cigars sold in the U.S. would only be about 16 cents and about a dollar for premium cigars.

Generally, I do oppose tax increases. However, I think this situation is unique for a couple of reasons. When a person chooses to smoke, their choice has public health implications and can have a significant cost to society - according to a recent study, smoking costs more than a $167 billion a year. Additionally, this tax is one that can be avoided if a person chooses not to smoke.

However, I am concerned about the $90 billion House version of the SCHIP legislation, which has a heftier price tag, cuts programs that many rural residents rely upon, and leads the country towards a major expansion of government health. I disagree with those of my colleagues who seem to want the government to take control of the nation's healthcare system and make decisions for you regarding your health. You should own and control your own health insurance, not the government. What government should do is take care of the most vulnerable, which we honored by reauthorizing SCHIP. Government can also take steps to organize the private insurance market to make it more affordable and consumer-friendly, and ensure every American has access to a quality, affordable plan. I am currently working on a proposal to achieve these goals.

Please know that I always appreciate hearing from you and I value your advice.

Thank you once again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me on any issue of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,
Norm Coleman
United States Senate
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Dear Mr. Hastings,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to increasing the tobacco tax to pay for an expansion of the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue and want you to know that I agree with you.

You may be pleased to know that I voted against the bill that would increase the federal excise tax on tobacco by 61 cents per pack of cigarettes to expand SCHIP. That increase would raise the average retail price on each pack of cigarettes in Louisiana by more than 16 percent. Also, a new tax would be placed on cigars of up to $10 per cigar. It has been estimated that this tax increase could potentially result in a revenue loss of hundreds of millions of dollars, as many people choose to stop smoking in light of the dramatically increased tax.

Since 1997, many states' SCHIP programs have evolved and expanded beyond the original scope of the program. Some state programs include coverage for adults and children of families who have incomes 400 percent above the Federal Poverty Level, which has caused large shortfalls in SCHIP funding each year for a program intended for children. For instance, a family of four making over $82,000 per year would be eligible for SCHIP. These SCHIP expansions stray from the original intention of the program and are creating a more bureaucratic, government-controlled health care delivery system. I believe that we should help families access health care by promoting the use of health savings accounts, association health plans, and tax credits for the purchase of health insurance. These alternatives would allow individuals and families the freedom to choose the plan that best suits their needs rather than forcing families into government-run health care.

Rest assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as I continue working in the U.S. Senate to bring common sense to our tax system. Once again, thank you for contacting me about this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about other issues important to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Senator David Vitter
United States Senator

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
( By chance when a senator does state how he feels its just the game of copy and paste? because i swore ive read vitter's view before)

I often wonder if they actually write these letters themselves. Seriously. The similarities in both letters are obvious.

They actually don't. They have staffers with the actual responsibility of writing form letters. They read, respond, and then let someone else know what constituents care about. Then, that person/people will let the elected know what his/her constituents care about.

Politicians suck.

these following letters are what has come of my very own personal inquirers and also just trying to do my part in keeping this favored pass-time, along with this great cultural icon flowing and continuing to grow well and strong into the future and able to surpass the many tax's thrown in front of that given direction. These are there responses... You be the judge.. all I can say is Minnesota is well lost-
S.T-

Dear Mr. Hastings :

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding your concerns regarding tobacco tax increases and the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).

As you may know, the Senate version of the SCHIP Reauthorization bill (H.R. 976) was passed by the Senate with bipartisan support on August 2, 2007. This legislation reauthorizes the State Children's Health Insurance Program for an additional five years and invests $35 billion to cover 3.3 million children currently not covered by the program. I support this bill because it helps protect Minnesota kids from losing health insurance and helps to address the 86,000 kids in Minnesota currently without coverage.

I am sensitive to your concerns regarding provisions in this bill to increase the tax on tobacco products. This proposal includes a 61 cent increase in tax on a pack of cigarettes and a tax on large cigars that will be 53.3 percent of the manufacturer's sale price, with a cap of $10 per cigar. However it is important to note that the average tax on 94% of all popular-price cigars sold in the U.S. would only be about 16 cents and about a dollar for premium cigars.

Generally, I do oppose tax increases. However, I think this situation is unique for a couple of reasons. When a person chooses to smoke, their choice has public health implications and can have a significant cost to society - according to a recent study, smoking costs more than a $167 billion a year. Additionally, this tax is one that can be avoided if a person chooses not to smoke.

However, I am concerned about the $90 billion House version of the SCHIP legislation, which has a heftier price tag, cuts programs that many rural residents rely upon, and leads the country towards a major expansion of government health. I disagree with those of my colleagues who seem to want the government to take control of the nation's healthcare system and make decisions for you regarding your health. You should own and control your own health insurance, not the government. What government should do is take care of the most vulnerable, which we honored by reauthorizing SCHIP. Government can also take steps to organize the private insurance market to make it more affordable and consumer-friendly, and ensure every American has access to a quality, affordable plan. I am currently working on a proposal to achieve these goals.

Thank you once again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me on any issue of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,
Norm Coleman
United States Senate
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Dear Mr. Hastings,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to increasing the tobacco tax to pay for an expansion of the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue and want you to know that I agree with you.

You may be pleased to know that I voted against the bill that would increase the federal excise tax on tobacco by 61 cents per pack of cigarettes to expand SCHIP. That increase would raise the average retail price on each pack of cigarettes in Louisiana by more than 16 percent. Also, a new tax would be placed on cigars of up to $10 per cigar. It has been estimated that this tax increase could potentially result in a revenue loss of hundreds of millions of dollars, as many people choose to stop smoking in light of the dramatically increased tax.

Since 1997, many states' SCHIP programs have evolved and expanded beyond the original scope of the program. Some state programs include coverage for adults and children of families who have incomes 400 percent above the Federal Poverty Level, which has caused large shortfalls in SCHIP funding each year for a program intended for children. For instance, a family of four making over $82,000 per year would be eligible for SCHIP. These SCHIP expansions stray from the original intention of the program and are creating a more bureaucratic, government-controlled health care delivery system. I believe that we should help families access health care by promoting the use of health savings accounts, association health plans, and tax credits for the purchase of health insurance. These alternatives would allow individuals and families the freedom to choose the plan that best suits their needs rather than forcing families into government-run health care.

Rest assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as I continue working in the U.S. Senate to bring common sense to our tax system. Once again, thank you for contacting me about this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about other issues important to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Senator David Vitter
United States Senator

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
( By chance when a senator does state how he feels its just the game of copy and paste? because i swore ive read vitter's view before)

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fu:mad::sb:c:gn:bx

This guy should be securing votes for his opponent for the upcoming election!

Colmen=azzhat.
He seems to be trying to take away some personal liberties when he started talking about someone's smoking being a drain on another's health. Not if he smokes outside/be responsible when he smokes it won't!

But yes, those letters seem oddly familiar from some others i've seen posted on here.
I've still not heard back from either of my senators yet--and I'm in NC! We grow a shitload of tobacco here (at least we used to).

this is the bit i like from coleman:

However it is important to note that the average tax on 94% of all popular-price cigars sold in the U.S. would only be about 16 cents and about a dollar for premium cigars.

so, ladies and gents, if you're ONLY smoking $2 yard-gars, it's only an extra buck for the new tax! and even LESS for your hav-a-tampas!

see? nothing to worry about here...

Can you say "boiler-plate".

I would be willing to bet that one college course that is MOST common to all politicians is SEMANTICS.

Robert :ss

I hate it when people talk about a 'recent study' and don't cite it. If you don't cite, don't even mention it. And if you don't fully disclose what the findings actually say and don't say, don't try to pull a fast one on us.

Big gov't and the anti-tobacco crowd, quite simply, use junk science and need to get their facts straight.

Back during the cigar boom days and when he was mayor of St Paul there was a story on local celebrity cigar smokers and he said he liked to smoke Macanudos...So go figure..When the so called republicans are for this social shit then all is lost. As I have said before give the kids today what I got when I was a kid..................................NOTHING.

oh and spamboy quit posting this stuff and getting my blood up................PS.. did you make it to the Steel county free fair.?

Jerry in Minnesota.

:tpd:
I hate it when people talk about a 'recent study' and don't cite it. If you don't cite, don't even mention it. And if you don't fully disclose what the findings actually say and don't say, don't try to pull a fast one on us.

Big gov't and the anti-tobacco crowd, quite simply, use junk science and need to get their facts straight.

There is very little true debate left in this country.

Back during the cigar boom days and when he was mayor of St Paul there was a story on local celebrity cigar smokers and he said he liked to smoke Macanudos...So go figure..When the so called republicans are for this social shit then all is lost. As I have said before give the kids today what I got when I was a kid..................................NOTHING.

oh and spamboy quit posting this stuff and getting my blood up................PS.. did you make it to the Steel county free fair.?

Jerry in Minnesota.

Oh i apologies ;)
Actually if you haven't heard or read i'm pleasantly sitting my Arss in N. Las Vegas Nevada in await for my training at Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Institute.. ( breathe) so no fair's for me really, just checked out.. well.. Albert Lea's the night, that i was actually leaving ( didnt get on the road to nevada untill about 1:20 am) That was good enough for me, just went late to grab what ever food was left, hang with the gal and Im off-
.. Now Jerry, You going to be able to come hit up Vegas one of these days and bring some of that MN cheer, it is lonely :D

OH yah.. Screw MN Senate.. That's for ya buddy:chk

S.T in Las VeGAS!

To the senator that said smoking is a personal choice that has health implications that cost the society as a hole,,,,so do eating cheeseburgers by the pound and super sizing your fffing happy meal, but nobody taxes the crap on Micky d's.

They actually don't. They have staffers with the actual responsibility of writing form letters. They read, respond, and then let someone else know what constituents care about. Then, that person/people will let the elected know what his/her constituents care about.

Politicians suck.

This is true. I know because I was once such a staffer for a US Senator who replied with the form letters. It is possible that he signed off on the content but he wouldn't write it himself. This is not to say that it is useless to contact your representative/senator. If enough voices are heard they will take notice. But it is unlikely you would ever get a personal reply.

This is true. I know because I was once such a staffer for a US Senator who replied with the form letters. It is possible that he signed off on the content but he wouldn't write it himself. This is not to say that it is useless to contact your representative/senator. If enough voices are heard they will take notice. But it is unlikely you would ever get a personal reply.

Really? I use to be a staffer for a Congressman not all that long ago and it was the same thing. Congressmen/Senators do not write the letters, the staffers in charge of said issue do.

One question, did the Senator you worked for sign the letters himself, had his signature printed, rubber stamp or did the staffers have to practice signing the letters before they were allowed to do it for real? Just curious.

My response to the "esteemed" Senator from Minne-tax-ota

Mr. Coleman,
This would make cigars the highest taxable item in the tax code, am I correct? Could you explain the direct link between taxing cigars and childrens health insurance?
I find intrusions by the nanny state abominable and reprehensible, and think that rather than make some connection and stratospheric taxation increase on a product unrelated to the rates of childrens insurance enrollment not only laughable, but a true definition of the rubber stamping of anything that is remotely related to the feeble hope that those of your constituents that cannot actually think for themselves will go along with your support of pork-ridden government excess, rather than a suitable, logical response and action taken that is what our founding fathers would have applauded.

Peter Locke.

I voted for you once. My respect for you is diminishing, yet not yet beyond recapture.

Opinion@coleman.senate.gov wrote:

Dear Mr. Locke :

Sincerely,
Norm Coleman
United States Senate

Back