More Q for You

:eevis

ChestBeater
Just wondering how many other Gorillas out there like to partake in the cooking of some fine BBQ. I know that BBQ is a noun in most the south, but up north, many people use the term interchangeably, so please don't chase me down.
Just wondering if anybody would like to share some recipies, stories, pics, whatever. I just think that Cigars and Que go so well together, that I can't be the only one who would enjoy talking about it.

Here are a few pics of my past cooks.

That's some good looking Q! I wish I could add some recipes or techinques, but I'm afraid my experience is limited to grilling and eating BBQ. Nothing serious like that.

I agree - cigars and BBQ/grilling go hand in hand. :tu Especially with close family and friends.

Just wondering how many other Gorillas out there like to partake in the cooking of some fine BBQ. I know that BBQ is a noun in most the south, but up north, many people use the term interchangeably, so please don't chase me down.
Just wondering if anybody would like to share some recipies, stories, pics, whatever. I just think that Cigars and Que go so well together, that I can't be the only one who would enjoy talking about it.

what is that last pic of?

I decided to try something different. I took a tupe of Jimmy Dean hot sausage and made balles out of it that had cream cheese in the middle along with some canned chipotle peppers. I covered it in the spice rub that I use for BBQ and smoked them until the were done. Kind of like a minature "fatty". Great snack while waiting for everything else to finish cooking

Beauty! let's eat!!!

I decided to try something different. I took a tupe of Jimmy Dean hot sausage and made balles out of it that had cream cheese in the middle along with some canned chipotle peppers. I covered it in the spice rub that I use for BBQ and smoked them until the were done. Kind of like a minature "fatty". Great snack while waiting for everything else to finish cooking

Snap! That sounds awesome! Although, I am not a fan of cream cheese, the rest of the fam would love em!:)

Yep, I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker a couple of months back and have been using it non-stop. Ribs and brisket have come out perfect so far.. need to fire it up again this weekend.

BTW, what's that in the last picture?

We Q all year round, even in the snows of winter.

Here's a family recipe for a sauce that works great on ribs and chicken. The amounts of each ingredient is a rough guess because we never measure.

1/4 cup oyster sauce (Lee Kum Kee brand if you can get it)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp soy sauce
a little water to thin the sauce a bit

mix all ingredients in a bowl and apply liberally to whatever you are Q'ing. I usually apply several coats while the meat is cooking.

Enjoy.

Oyster sauace huh, never would have thought of that. I may need to give that a try some time. Is it more of a wet mop or a finishing sauce?

Oyster sauace huh, never would have thought of that. I may need to give that a try some time. Is it more of a wet mop or a finishing sauce?

I don't use it as a marinade, but as soon as one side seals up a bit I apply coating to that side while the other seals. Then I add a couple more coats as I flip the meat and keep it from burning. Sometimes I add more, but three good coats should do it.

The end result is very tasty.

I can see where this thread is going! :tu Looks like a Char Griller with the SFB?

Here's what I've done with mine:
P1040590.jpg

We Q all year round, even in the snows of winter.

Here's a family recipe for a sauce that works great on ribs and chicken. The amounts of each ingredient is a rough guess because we never measure.

1/4 cup oyster sauce (Lee Kum Kee brand if you can get it)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp soy sauce
a little water to thin the sauce a bit

mix all ingredients in a bowl and apply liberally to whatever you are Q'ing. I usually apply several coats while the meat is cooking.

Enjoy.

Oysters and Ribs? Surf and Turf. Sounds interesting. :eevis, by now you know I am a huge fan of Q'ing. I will do anything on the grill. Now that I got the new one with the smoker box rotisserie, etc. I am deadly. I have done grilled peaches with marscarpone, grilled stuffed figs with goat cheese, ribs, roasts, birds, filets, wings. I even tried to cook my old Chrysler (ok, i'm kidding). Need to do a brisky and would love to cook a whole hog although I think I could only get away with doing a sucking pig. Having a vegetarian daughter in the house who busts my cubes everytime put the meat on the grill is fun too. I want to speak with you on getting some veggieQ'ing going for her. You seem to have great recipies.

I can see where this thread is going! :tu Looks like a Char Griller with the SFB?

Here's what I've done with mine:
P1040590.jpg

Man that's purrrrrty. You guys like the rib racks huh? I wouldn't mind a side fire box too but my Q doesn;t have one. The cold smoking method is great.

veggieQ'ing

This past weekend we put large pieces of sweet pineapple on the Q for a bit. Never did it before and we were quite surprised and how good it was.

Bell peppers, whole mushrooms, zucchini... they are all great freshly grilled as well.

Maybe a small cube of cheddar cheese or pepper jack would be good in that case.

Cheddar is tough because it has a high fat content and it the oils tend to seperate before the cheese melts, Not sure about pepper Jack though.

And Opus, yes the Char-Griller with the side fire box is one of my smokers. Check out the one that I built on my profile page. That has become my go to.

And to everybody else, when scottw mentions veggieQ'ing, I have a buddy who has been a vegetartian for 14yrs, so i always have to cook up a little something special for him, but he is the one that introduced me to cigars, so it is the least that i can do :ss:ss

Snap! That sounds awesome! Although, I am not a fan of cream cheese, the rest of the fam would love em!:)

Hey boone,
Try my sausage balls recipe.
Take a tube of Jimmy Dean or Tennessee Pride spicy ground sausage, 1 package (2-cup) Cheddar cheese, 1.5 cups Bisquick or Pancake mix

Mix it all together real good and then form small little balls out of them

Bake them @ 350* for about 20 minutes.

Excellent and easy football snack food.

Man I'm hungry. This BBQ thread is making it worse! :D

I like the traditional BBQ sauce but I'm also a fan of the "Carolina style" vinegar-based sauces (mmmmm, I love that stuff!). Have any of you guys ever tried a mustard-based sauce? Here's a link: http://www.mauricesbbq.com/ . A guy here in my office told me about it and says it's really great.

I have made the Carolina Mustard suace from Peace, Love, and BBQ. It was awesome. I find myself reading this book all the time. I consider it my BBQ bible :ss

Back