Moving: Burnt Out (Or, "I Need A Cigar")

Mister Moo

The Pinnacle of Style
I smoked a cigar a while ago. It was pretty good. Then, Ro'Randy asked me why I didn't cigar post much anymore (A: I lack cigar originality) but I posted a cigar thought anyhow and, by golly, it was fun.

So then, having once again forgotten to smoke a cigar for a while, I stumbled into a never before seen little B&M 200 miles from home and copped an almost full box of Anejos (MSRP less box purchase discount - don't ask me why - still puzzling over that deal) while stalling on having a chick lunch at a chick restuarant with wife and sister-in-law. That turned out surprisingly well - they had some kinda rib-eye tacos with hot pineapple salsa that was mindboggling.

Well, to make a pointless story even longer, wife and I are more or less self moving to a new home and we are now half/half between two houses separated by 30 miles. My pipes are packed, the pipe lighter is MIA and my favorite chair could be anywhere - it never seems to be where I am anyhow. I have moved all the boxes Mrs. Moo packed today into the cargo trailer by the back door - gravity, leverage, inclined plane and a large hand truck are actually doing most of the work but Madame la Mou thinks I'm The Human Dynamo. (For those of you who know Ms. M, lets not spoil that impression in casual conversation. Thank you.)

She who must be obeyed has gone to the movies with "the girls". I am left briefly to my own devices in the wrong chair, no TV, no CD's, pipeless and thinking about heading to Bojangles for a chicken thing. But then I noticed the humidor - that which is last to be moved. It beckoned. A cigar? Of course!

A quiet moment. Hundreds to choose from. :rolleyes:

Old flooping reliable: La Aurora Cien Anos. How much hell can there be to pay for stinking up a house we've effectively abandoned? :rolleyes:

Heaven - the smell wafting through a large, mostly empty room. :tu

Special thanks to Raney (who did his damage then cut and ran) for getting me hooked; Jeff, for wise counsel on ERDMs; Klugs and ESP, for dazzling inspiration; OpusXOX, for introducing me to the grand Cien Anos; Leafhog, for conducting the Moving Strategy and Theory 101 seminar; SevilleKid, for helping me realize coffee is an insane web of distraction; and the B/SOTLs & B/SOTBs met and unmet for continued kindness, generosity and unflinching good cheer. Cigar smokers and coffeeheads... who knew? :D

New house almost on line. Here's the deal: the cigars will be in the temperature-cool new finished, soon-to-be ventilated, basement. I'm leaving an extra chair down there in case you drop by.

This is not exactly an original thought, but I really am enjoying this Cien Anos in the old digs I am about to leave behind. The thing is, I met all y'all here and I just wanted you to know that I have been enjoying your company - you have been welcome. I'm bugging out but there will always be a place for you in the new joint.

Wonderfully expressed, and equally eppreciated!!!

An old friend of mine (Henry) appreciates this kind of thinking. As Henry says, "Get your thoughts out, and you got regularity... Don't get your thoughts out, and you get hemheroids."

thats really cool man, thanks for sharing. we'll find our way into your quiet peaceful living room- dont worry :D

Very nice cigar related post! Only thing that would be better would be to have a nice smoky bourbon with a few melting rocks on the "wrong" table beside you! (OK, I will concede; A nice strong cup of java would probably do the trick nicely, also!!!!)

I'm proud to hear that you are letting those simple machines (incline, dolly, etc) help you out. They are real life (and back) savers!

Congratulations and best wishes on your new digs! PM me your new addy when you get a chance, I might have a house warning gift sitting around in some old cooler somewhere!!:D

Good read... I think I need a small cigar after hearing "she who must be obeyed" and I would have a claret, but that will have to wait for a return to the states.

I wish that you farewell my friend and keep the wind at your back...:)
Hey man - I'm only moving to Wendell, not Tiera del Fuego. Come by. Bring Taz and the Afghan guy. Until then, Afghan brother, stop by the New Moo Lounge. There is a cupboard full of claret over there and all the cigars you can smoke. The coffee is fresh and the fly-tie guys won't leave you alone. There are 12 new beers/ales on tap, too. Except for the people who hang around there, it would be a Gentleman's Club.

Root gets first look at Roasterie d'Moo if he wants. We're both gonna go bachelor-head on Saturday and check out the Raleigh (Triangle Area) Pipe Show (TAPS); Mrs. M'oo gave me a half day pass from moving!

I can relate to your pain. The wife and I are in the process of moving ourselves too. We are slowly moving things down to NC since we will not be living there full time until late June unless I secure work prior to that date. We are moving out of our apartment and into my mother in-laws at the end of the month(God help me:gn )so we are not paying a mortgage and rent at the same time for our last month and a half here. So right now my apartment looks more like a storage unit than an apartment. Some of our crap is in NC, while some is at my mother in-laws and some stuff is in my brothers garage so I feel your pain when it comes to not knowing exactly where most of your crap is located. I will be shocked if all my cr@p makes it to NC when all is said and done to be honest. My humidors are buried underneath boxes, clothes etc in the apartment, so just trying to get to one to pull out a gar seems like too much work and I am going through withdrawels after a week of no gars. We will be making another trip down with a van load of crap this weekend. Hopefully after this weekend we will only have one more load left(fingers crossed.) I can't wait until June/July when we are all settled and life can go back to being somewhat normal.
Glad to see you were able to find some time to sit in peace and quiet to enjoy a smoke. Good luck with the rest of your move and I hope life returns to normal for you real soon and Good luck in your new home!
How far are you from the Charlotte area? When we get settled I would love to meet up with some of you North Carolina gorillas.

Great post Dan; it's good to hear that you enjoy a good cigar once in a while. Now here is the important question; did you move your coffee stuff first or last? :D

Great post Dan; it's good to hear that you enjoy a good cigar once in a while. Now here is the important question; did you move your coffee stuff first or last? :D
The yirg bag is yellow-tagged (DO NOT TOUCH) on the kitchen counter. Nobody in family would dare touch the roasting gear. Yirg pass roast trial is Saturday.

A stainless vacpot and a bag of pre-ground I dunno what is resting on the old counter until day zero; the Gevalia dripper is sitting on the new counter, next to Oscar and Mazzer (the good twins).

Moving is a total pain. We have been in transition for almost a year and I am on the edge of hysteria.

Thanks for sharing that special moment with us, Dan. It is a special time when you say goodbye to a home. Can't wait to come see youin the new digs;)

I can relate to your pain.

Good luck in your new home!

How far are you from the Charlotte area? When we get settled I would love to meet up with some of you North Carolina gorillas.

We feel our pain. Regrets.

CLT is about 3 hours from Wendell. All the Carolina good people scan the "ACC Herf" (a movable feast that wanders from Winston to Raleigh or whatever it takes) and "Surf Hurf" (Myrtle Beach). Join us.

We feel our pain. Regrets.

CLT is about 3 hours from Wendell. All the Carolina good people scan the "ACC Herf" (a movable feast that wanders from Winston to Raleigh or whatever it takes) and "Surf Hurf" (Myrtle Beach). Join us.

Awesome! I Will keep an eye out for the next event. It could work out perfect because my wifes cousin lives in Raleigh, so I can go meet up with my fellow gorillas and drop her off at her cousins so she is occupied the whole day. Sounds like a win, win situation!:tu

The yirg bag is yellow-tagged (DO NOT TOUCH) on the kitchen counter. Nobody in family would dare touch the roasting gear. Yirg pass roast trial is Saturday.

A stainless vacpot and a bag of pre-ground I dunno what is resting on the old counter until day zero; the Gevalia dripper is sitting on the new counter, next to Oscar and Mazzer (the good twins).

I didn't doubt that you had considered the most important items and that your affairs were in order. I am glad to hear that the coffee gear has made it safely and is stationed properly for function.

Thank you Marianne. That was very helpful. How can I find the words to tell you how I appreciate that comforting information?

:hn

Glad to see your cigar break relaxed you somewhat. I meant to tell you earlier, when I was carrying that rather large box marked "kitchen-fragile" I dropped it when I tripped on your new driveway. The box now makes a "clinky" sound when I shake it vigorously. Your homeowners insurance will cover my medical expenses, won't it? :tg I also scuffed a few of your pipes, but hell its just wood the scratches will sand right out. Coupla stems broke but I'm sure you'll be able to replace them.

Oh yeah, I got a phone call at the new house while waiting for you to arrive with the truck - seems the water tested positive for lead. The sewer backed up in the master bath and the front yard as well.

Happy moving! :D

seems the water tested positive for lead. The sewer backed up in the master bath and the front yard as well.

Happy moving! :D
No sewer - septic tank and two wells. They all run like Bob Hayes on crystal, thank you very much.

Copper pipes and solder? Uh huh. Sure. So what?
High lead? Uh huh. It doesn't bother me. Benn drinking high lead water for yeer...

Been drinking high red lawter...
Been sinking daw ridge sawter...
Sin binking draw lidge hogger..

Water daughter pawder snodder.

Snork.
Ooot.
Greet.

Back