Mr. Doug's $25-ish Coolidor

Mr. Doug

Gorilla
So I got a few boxes in the other day and needed a place to stash them until I could get my coolidor properly humidified. So I thought I'd take a stab at this real quick...

Stop me if you think I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm goingt o ruin my boxes please...I'm pretty new at this and only know what I've seen on the net.

Here's the 'ingredients'
$9.00 Igloo cooler from Costco.
$7.00 Humidity Meter from Wal-Mart
$2.00 Baby Food Containers (that the baby already finished...so I guess $0.00)
$0.75 Airwick Fan Thingy
$8.00 Cedar Planks for wire shelving
$1.25 Spongy plant stuff

SS_Img3975.jpg

The first thing I did was clean out the baby food containers in the dishwasher, and then with a mild soap, and then with distilled water. I didn't want to have any hint of "Banana Mixed Berry" in my boxes.

SS_Img3980.jpg

Then I cut a few slits in the top of the lid with my Dremel so the contents can breathe. Above, you'll see the styrofoam Gentle Grip spongy stuff that I used to hold the moisture for a few days until my 65% beads arrive.

SS_Img3983.jpg

Then I cut the aforementioned plant styrofoam to the size of the Gerber containers, and filled them with distilled water to soak up for an hour. I punched a few holes in them so they'd have room to blow air bubbles up. I'm not entirely sure this is necessary, but I can't see it HURTING the cause. (Unless the plant stuff does that on it's own.

SS_Img3987.jpg

Next, I modified the Springfield Digital Humidity / Temperature Monitor to remove the back clip, and add a few more slits in it for better venting. I'll add velcro to this later...I wanted to make sure it all worked first, and I'm not sure this will be the cooler I'll ultimately use.

SS_Img3988.jpg

Something I DIDN'T realize, was that the Airwick fan thingy I bought didn't have a way to add regular batteries to it...so I had to break out the soldering iron. I wanted the air to circulate a little bit, but I don't think this is going to cut the mustard long-term. I'll use it for a few days until I get a chance to re-do the humidification beads, and mount the digital meter.

I soldered two AA batteries together (like I used to with RC cars) and then soldered them to the leads. It works like a charm! I then taped up the whole thing and stuffed it into a corner of the enclosure. Again, it's not perfect, but it'll work for a few days.

Next, I modified the Springfield Digital Humidity / Temperature Monitor to remove the back clip, and add a few more slits in it for better venting. I'll add velcro to this later...I wanted to make sure it all worked first, and I'm not sure this will be the cooler I'll ultimately use.

SS_Img3992.jpg

I 'dry-fit' the cedar racks for the wire shelves earlier. I like them because they are thick, have wide slots, and you get 2 of them for $8.00 at Lowes! I wiped them down a few times with distilled water ahead of time and let that soak up a bit before I put them in for an hour to test the humidity.

SS_Img3976.jpg

I put the 4 "Gerber" containers under the slots, but left the slots themselves exposed. This should give enough ventilation.

After letting it all sit in there for an hour...I'm at 70% humidity. Not too shabby!

I'm a little concerned about the 80*, but it's 98 outside, and this is in the basement of my house.

SS_Img3995.jpg

All looks good.

Is that Spanish Cedar ? If not you need to get that out of there.

Looks good, start filling it and getting the next one ready. :tu:ss:tu

So a few hours later, I looked and I was still doing well on hiumidity, and there wasn't any odor to speak of, so I popped a few boxes in her to see if we are going to be in good shape.

An hour later, I'm at 68%...still 80*...but we're humid!

I didn't stack the boxes because I read (somewhere) that I shouldn't let the boxes be completely sealed off from each other. thoughts?

SS_Img3996.jpg

Hmmm....not sure.

How do I tell, and why would I need to get it out of there?

Lowes doesn't sell Spanish Cedar. You should take them out. They are to aromatic and will affect the flavor of your cigars. I can't tell from the pic, but you also want to use the "wet " type of florist foam.

Last edited:
Lowes doesn't sell Spanish Cedar. You should take them out. They are to aromatic and will affect the flavor of your cigars.

Gotcha...

I'll pull it out of there, and replace it with a few old boxes I have. I'm assuming those will be ok to use?

Here's what she looks like now. I put them on top of an old box so they are still elevated.

SS_Img3997.jpg

SS_Img3998.jpg

SS_Img3999.jpg

I noticed that the temp dropped to 78, but the humidity was up to 75%. Maybe I have too much water in there?

I'm off to bed...we'll see what she looks like in the AM. I don't think if they are in boxes, they are going to die in 6hrs when I have to wake up.

Already have them ordered...should be here tomorrow or Thursday. I didn't have a way to store these in the mean-time, so I thought this would work well until then.

JMHO, but i think you have too much foam in there-since the cooler is plastic not wood, it doesn't breath, so you need less moisture to achieve RH-the boxes you put in will be fine for cedar-might want to get an oust fan, but unless the cooler is 48qt or over, you really don't need it-did you calibrate the hygro?-the ones from wallyworld have a large variance-may want to have heartfelt include a digi adjustable w/your order

JMHO, but i think you have too much foam in there-since the cooler is plastic not wood, it doesn't breath, so you need less moisture to achieve RH-the boxes you put in will be fine for cedar-might want to get an oust fan, but unless the cooler is 48qt or over, you really don't need it-did you calibrate the hygro?-the ones from wallyworld have a large variance-may want to have heartfelt include a digi adjustable w/your order

Too much foam...Check.

I took 2 of the 4 out, and drained all the extra water out of them. I'm beginning to think that my $25 coolidor might be used for Beer and Soda again sooner, rather than later!

I've got the beads ordered already, and I think I'm placing an order for some more stuff soon, so I'll upgrade the meter and get some decent cedar planks too. I was also thinking that I could make one pretty easily from a bunch of old cigar boxes I have. That may do the trick pretty well...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys...I appreciate the info/help.

old cigar boxes are a great source for cedar-other than the way it looks, there's really no need for cedar shelves-cheaphumidors.com has cedar trays if that's what you're looking for-sounds like you're well on your way to a sweet storage solution

Me personally I have an Igloo cube I don’t remember what size. I tossed a half pound of beads, and a western digital hygrometer. It has been rock solid at 68 degrees and 65% humidity. The cooler was probably dollar for dollar the best cigar investment I have made. Also I just stack my boxes in there kind of like Tetris but leaving room for the air to circulate. I also move my hygrometer every time I check my cooler to make sure it’s evenly humidified. I had one of those hygrometers like the on in the picture and it was way off on both temperature and humidity.

Nice bag in the back corner of the picture. That is another of my weakness I usually have 5-6 putter laying around at any given time. Last year I used a Ping craz-e, but bought a new Detour this year I may have to use it for a while it’s growing on me more and more every round I play. It is also the only one I have had that I haven’t tinkered with. All of my putters with the exception of the Cameron have the Winn USA grip I can’t bring myself to change it on the Detour.

I'm thinking I may just make a false bottom in this one and fill the bottom with 4 1/8lb bags of beads, and a oust fan to keep it rolling. I'm not big on having hundreds of cigars at any given point, but I like keeping the ones I DO have safe and sound till I get around to them.

I started cameroncollector.com about 2 years ago...and puttertalk.com in January. I also own golfopinions.com and about 5 other golf sites. Keeps me busy...that's for sure!

. . .and get some decent cedar planks too. I was also thinking that I could make one pretty easily from a bunch of old cigar boxes I have.

Really - just forget about the cedar - it's not needed and just takes up room

I'm thinking I may just make a false bottom in this one and fill the bottom with 4 1/8lb bags of beads, and a oust fan to keep it rolling.

I understand wanting to take the best care of your smokes - but sometimes the KISS principle is the best deal. Forget about false bottoms, 4 bags, generators, lights, HVAC systems and anything else you have planned. Put the boxes in - toss in one bag of beads - anywhere - top, bottom, side, etc and close the lid. You will be fine and good to go. :tu

Ron

understand wanting to take the best care of your smokes - but sometimes the KISS principle is the best deal. Forget about false bottoms, 4 bags, generators, lights, HVAC systems and anything else you have planned. Put the boxes in - toss in one bag of beads - anywhere - top, bottom, side, etc and close the lid. You will be fine and good to go.

SO I souldn't worry too much about moving the air around? What should I put the bag on...just on top of a box somewhere?

I appreciate the help...I certainly don't want to ruin $1,000 in cigars by getting them too wet.

Now ruining them with a series of small fres on the other hand. ;D

Back