My bible smells like smoke

fizguy

Lowland Gorilla
Yesterday (Sunday) morning I was out on my patio drinking coffee, smoking a casa torano (yum!), and reading my bible. It was a pleasant start to the day.

Fast forward an hour or so...I am sitting in church with my bible (it has a leather cover) in my lap and....sniff, sniff....mmmmmm I smell a cigar. It surprised me, but it was a nice surprise. I wonder what the people sitting in front of me thought?

Anyway, though that was amusing enough to share.

:chk

Suspect the congregation is now aware you a 'cigar smoker' and possibly the topic of the next sermon. :ss :r

A guy in the worship band and one of the pastors and I will herf every now and then. Not sure everyone appreciates it as much as we do though.

I had to laugh ...funny post.

Reminds me of another amusing SMOKE related story.

Fifteen or more years ago I'd arrested a drunk who also had some drugs onboard and was just finishing processing him at the Co Jail. A friend of his walks in to bond him out. This stupid kid REEKS of marihuana smoke.

I was still busy so mentioned it to one of the Deputies. He follows the guy out, watches him a bit in his car and ended up snagging a bunch of stoned juvenilles as well as a surprising amount of marihuana.

Gotta watch what and where You smoke I guess.

FN in MT:cb

If your church bugs you because you smoke a cigar, find a better church!

I feel sorry for sihks, its actually a documented sin for them, not just a preference thing.

Yesterday (Sunday) morning I was out on my patio drinking coffee, smoking a casa torano (yum!), and reading my bible. It was a pleasant start to the day.

Fast forward an hour or so...I am sitting in church with my bible (it has a leather cover) in my lap and....sniff, sniff....mmmmmm I smell a cigar. It surprised me, but it was a nice surprise. I wonder what the people sitting in front of me thought?

Anyway, though that was amusing enough to share.

:chk

The sign of a great Theologian :tu

I am sure Spurgeon's bible must have had the distinct odor of cigar smoke. Puts you in good company! :ss

I love to read and have a cigar - this happens quite frequently - then I send books to my brother - not the other way around...since he chews tobacco!:ss

I am sure Spurgeon's bible must have had the distinct odor of cigar smoke. Puts you in good company! :ss

I think CS Lewis, Pope St. Pius X and Pope John XXIII would all agree.

Genesis 24:64 (KJV): "And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel." Maybe not a cigar smoker, but a smoker nonetheless. :D

:tpd: Spurgeon must have been a hoot!. I love reading his stories and anecdotes.

This is one of my favorites: It was a beautiful early morning, and the men arrived in high spirits, pipes and cigars alight, and looking forward to a day of unrestrained enjoyment. Mr. Spurgeon was ready waiting at the gate. He jumped up to the box-seat reserved for him, and looking round with an expression of astonishment, exclaimed: "What, gentlemen! Are you not ashamed to be smoking so early?"
Here was a damper! Dismay was on every face. Pipes and cigars one by one failed and dropped out of sight.
When all had disappeared, out came the President's cigar-case. He lit up and smoked away serenely.
The men looked at him astonished. "I thought you said you objected to smoking, Mr. Spurgeon?" one ventured.
"Oh no, I did not say I objected. I asked if they were not ashamed, and it appears they were, for they have all put their pipes away."
Amid laughter the pipes reappeared, and with puffs of smoke the party went on merrily.

To be on subject of the post. There were probably a few closet smokers that praised the smell. I would also assume that The Good Lord is happy you include him in your relaxation. :tu Hey! That'll Preach!

Too funny. Your thread title sounds like a metaphor for getting just a little too close to the gates of hell, but escaping just in time. :D

I've got an ESV thinline with leather cover (I think is the part that absorbs most of the smoke) that I use most of the time for my studies, and quite a bit I am sitting outside with it and a cigar studying, and it always smells GREAT! I had someone mention to me at worship yesterday 'hey mark. just so you know - your bible always smells really good'

...not sure why he was smelling my bible, but I'll take that as a compliment :tu!

So in summary, I know how you feel. My bibles, concordances, and commentaries ALL smell like smoke :D

I'm a divinity student that smokes cigars regularly.

So, Like someone said, if your church gives you a hard time about it, wait three years, and you can come to mine. :tu

While we are on funny stories, I was sitting in front of my College Dorm smoking a Rocky Patel the other day, While working on a paper on Wisdom in the Old Testament, and wouldn't you know, but that Rocky Patel Ashed on Chapter 9 of Proverbs when i was trying to return it to the tray.

I was really upset. One because it was no very pretty on the pages of scripture, but almost as upsetting was the fact that my Olde World Reserve just ashed...

Just based on the title of this thread I was going to ask if you had performed a very strenuous Exorcism. :D

While we are on funny stories, I was sitting in front of my College Dorm smoking a Rocky Patel the other day, While working on a paper on Wisdom in the Old Testament, and wouldn't you know, but that Rocky Patel Ashed on Chapter 9 of Proverbs when i was trying to return it to the tray.

I was really upset. One because it was no very pretty on the pages of scripture, but almost as upsetting was the fact that my Olde World Reserve just ashed...

I would have really laughed if you'd been one book over:

Psalm 102:3

"For my days vanish like smoke;
my bones burn like glowing embers."
:ss

I have a few books that stink to high heaven as well, and a laptop.

I'm sure my wife would clobber me if I stunk up her Bible. I've been using a PDA for a Bible for the last 5 years and rarely read it when I'm smoking, usually a real book feels more relaxing or realistic or authentic or something :)

Let it air out man, if it gets anywhere near the exposure of my laptop I don't think it'll ever come clean!

Just as an aside- there is a Christian metal band called "Holy Smoke!' They're from Switzerland, but have an American lead singer. Hair metal, quite good actually!

I try to avoid smoking near my books, because they do inhale! But I know many folks that like to read while enjoying their stogie. I listen to music or watch a movie on TV myself. Or, just sit on the deck and listen to the birds!

Back