My cigar is harder than your cigar

jamz

Elitist a-hole
I'm a confused n00b. Ordered a box of cigars, they came in, and pretty much every single one is hard. Really hard. Rock hard, like they are made of concrete. Gently squeezing one is like trying to squeeze a sapling. I've never run across anything quite like them.

Decided to let them rest in the humi for a few days, took one out, still rock hard. I tried one, it drew like a broomstick and would not stay lit. I mean, would hardly burn at all. I actually gave up and tossed it in the wood stove abut five minutes ago, and it's still there. The label burnt off, and the wrapper is toasting away on the bottom, but it's still there, still rock-hard. I just poked it!

So what does this mean, my gorilla guides? Are these sticks beyond hope, or is this a condition that I've just never run across before and might eventually resolve itself?

Are these the sticks from Thompsons? If so they are going to need a lot of time in the humidor to ever have a shot at being decent.:2

If these sticks are as under-humidified as you describe they are going to take atleast a month to get back to smokable. It takes a lot of time to rehumidify sticks and they may never be the same.

What kind of cigars are these? Does the wrapper feel crunchy when squeezed? Hard/firm cigars are usually on the dry side but dry cigars usually burn and draw very well. Wet cigars usually feel spongy and have a lot of draw/burn issues.

Oh, from CI. They usually ship stuff pretty wet. I let their cigars rest for at least a couple months. Give them some more time. A few days isn't enough time to make much of a difference.

Oh, from CI. They usually ship stuff pretty wet. I let their cigars rest for at least a couple months. Give them some more time. A few days isn't enough time to make much of a difference.

Or give them a call and tell them the problem. Maybe they will just replace them and see if the new ones are better.

What cigars were these?

If you aren't happy with them, give them a call. They have great customer service IMO. Shouldn't be an issue with returning them if you're unhappy with what you received.

Taken from their website......

-- Returns/Refunds --
spacer.gif
Keeping you happy is our number one priority. Returns are easy - if you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may return the item to our warehouse within 15 days of receipt of your order for a prompt exchange, credit, or refund. Before returning the item, please contact Customer Service or call 1-888-244-2790 and let us know what and why you are returning the item, and a Return Merchandise Authorization Number (RMA#) will be issued. It is important that you make note of this number to include with any returns.

How the return policy works: for cigars by the box or bundle- if you try 1 cigar and return the remainder, you will receive full merchandise credit, less shipping charges. If you try more than 1, pro-rata credit is applied, less shipping charges. For samplers, 5-Packs and non-cigar merchandise, returns must be in new, unopened condition to receive credit. Please keep the original packaging and any accessories to return with the item.

If you fail to return merchandise within the given timeframe or without an RMA#, we may deny credit or issue a 15% re-stocking fee.

We do our best to provide you perfect cigars in perfect condition as quickly as possible. Shipments are inspected and double checked by our shipping staff for accuracy and quality. Should you experience any problems, please contact

Did you buy some edges? All the RP Edges I've had felt like bricks. They smoked fine, just felt like I could bust heads with them.

I can't believe I forgot the name. They are La Gloria Cubana Wavell maduros. Ill try giving CI a call about 'em.

I used to love LGC's back in the day and have bought tons. These are a first with their condition.

A rock hard cigar, that isn't dried out and crunchy, plus a loose fitting label = a damn good smoke.

These are the types of cigars I actively seek out to smoke.

I actually have the same problem with a fiver of El Ray Del Mundo, robusto suprema(7.25x54). They have been resting for a couple of months in the humi with almost no change. All of my other sticks in there are great, but those... well I have no idea.

Some sticks tend to feel rock hard while others are mushier. Most draw just fine. Before tossing the stick did you clip more off the head before chucking it? Sometimes this is all that is needed to get a stick to draw better. I don't remember Wavells being on the harder side but your batch may be. I would probably try another one and if the problem persists wit this stick call CI. Their customer service is top notch and they will take care of it.

Put them in the humidor and see if the humidity goes up or down. If it goes way down, they are very dry and I would return them. If it goes up, that's pretty normal as most vendors store at a higher humidity so they can make the trip to your mailbox without too much drying out.

MCS

Send them back.

If they are poor quality that is not what you bought.

Send them back for an exchange.

Exchange'd! They are mailing me a shiping label and I'll be getting a new box. Pity, I had wanted to include these in my n00b trades.

Back