My first Opus X

Mystophales

Heavy Metal Jesus
Smoked my first Opus X last night. It was the small XXX one and I don't know if this is normal or not but either I got a dud or this was just plain and simple a cigar that just does not suit me.

It had burn issues, keeping it lit was a pain in the a$$ and to top it off it just plain and simple didn't taste very good. Way to "spicy" for my taste...felt like I was sucking on a damn pepper mill. Oh well live and learn I guess...I will try at least one more to make sure I just didn't get a bad smoke (I try everything at least twice) but if it is anything like the first I guess I will have more money for other smokes...:tu

Is the Opus X an aquired taste and NOT recommended for newbs? I have tried a lot of different cigars now so I figured maybe I was ready for this one but apparently not....

It's a cigar you will either love or hate. For a new smoker I wouldn't recommend an Opus just because of the taste and strong nicotine kick they can create. With years of age on them they become less harsh and are a lot better smoke. Freshies tend to be extremely strong. :tu

I love opus x at a reasonable price but don't understand the hype. The last 4 I smoked had really uneven burn problems also.

I've not had the XXX, but out of the handful of Opus I have smoked, they are a good stick. They age well, and get better with a few years on em. Are they worth all the hype??? Not to me. To some they are the holy grail of cigars. IMO they're a good stick, and worth it when they can be gotten at MSRP, but too many other sticks I would much rather have if I had to choose. To each their own.

Not sure of the age of the opus you smoked, but Opus can be a quite spicy,
The XxX may be one of the smaller opus but they call it the "Power Ranger" for a reason :D You might enjoy a larger Opus, maybe try a Perfection X.

I'd try a few different sizes before giving up on them, if the Opus you have are young maybe you should give them a few months, even a year and try them again.

Smoked my first Opus X last night. It was the small XXX one and I don't know if this is normal or not but either I got a dud or this was just plain and simple a cigar that just does not suit me.

It had burn issues, keeping it lit was a pain in the a$$ and to top it off it just plain and simple didn't taste very good. Way to "spicy" for my taste...felt like I was sucking on a damn pepper mill. Oh well live and learn I guess...I will try at least one more to make sure I just didn't get a bad smoke (I try everything at least twice) but if it is anything like the first I guess I will have more money for other smokes...:tu

Is the Opus X an aquired taste and NOT recommended for newbs? I have tried a lot of different cigars now so I figured maybe I was ready for this one but apparently not....

Sorry your experience was less than stellar, but good to know and I'll look forward to your next try to hear what you think then. My son was going to get a couple of these for us to try and now I'm kind of glad I steered him toward the Ashton VSGs. If I pick up a couple, thanks to the other comments in this thread, I'll be sure to let them rest for as long as possible and most likely will not try the smaller ones.
:tu

the couple I have had were good. However, I think the hype may get someone's hopes a little higher than what the cigar can deliver, especially if it is a fresh one. I have figured out that there must be a marketing genius in the Fuente family. They know how to control their market in a way that raises demand and price. Some B&M's can get this or that, and so on. This turns me off to the Fuente line a little. Not trying to rant, just my :2.

I had my first one at Thanksgiving. I was looking for a nice cigar at the local shop and although I have not bought many cigars from them I do buy all my pipe stuff from them. When I told them I was looking for a special cigar for the holidays they took me into the humidor with a small stool and reached for a box in the back corner all the way at the top. She handed me 3 Opus X - Fuente Fuente’s. Said that will do the trick. I had no idea what I had in my hand and took her word for it. I gave one to my boss, who acted like I gave him a gold bar and smoked one with my son while drinking Crown Royal. Bit on the spicy side but smooth enough it did not choke. Over all, it’s not worth the hype and high price if you have to pay it, but I liked it.

I got my 3 for about $10 each.

Chas

I got my 3 for about $10 each.

Chas

You got the good price, Chas. Opus, to me, are best with at least 2-3 years on 'em. The Power Rangers are still too spicy for me so I'm letting them rest for at least a couple extra years. Definitely suggest going with one of the larger RG ones for your first Opus experience, and as has been recommended countless times on this board, it's best to have a decent meal in your belly before yout tackle one. There are LOTS of cigars I enjoy more than the Opus line, but under the right conditions they're great smokes.

IMO the humidity of cigars when smoked makes a huge difference. B&M's usually keep their cigars at a higher humidity which is too "wet" for smoking. Take em home and put them in your humi for a bit to let them stabilize. A lot of gorillas actually "dry box" cigars for a day or two before smoking.

I find that lowering the humidity for smoking cures a lot of burn issues and tends to smooth the smoking experience.:2

Internet vendors like Cbid will WAY over humidify sticks for transit so they need a week or 2 of "rest" before they smoke right.

I just smoked my first Opus X a few weeks ago, and I kind of feel the same way. I was actually a little disappointed, cause of all of the Hype surrounding this cigar. However, that won't stop me from trying it again.

That same day I also bought my first Anejo..and I liked that 1 much better.

I actually like my cigars around the 70% plus or minus a number...is that weird? But I also agree with letting a cigar stabilize..so I see both sides.

The one thing I can't stand is..picking up a cigar and it feels hard and dry...drives me nuts.

I am really not going to add anything new here, but do agree that they are much, much better if you allow them to age for a while. When you buy them at the local shop and smoke them that day, or with in the next week, they are just all power. You get the nicotine buzz, they are very strong. Just buy 2 or 3, smoke one right away if you must. Then put the other 2 in your humidor and forget about them for a while. To me they really are not worth it. I mean yes they are good, but I could go buy 3 or 4 cheaper smokes that I enjoy just as much for what I pay for 1 Opus X.

IMO the humidity of cigars when smoked makes a huge difference. B&M's usually keep their cigars at a higher humidity which is too "wet" for smoking. Take em home and put them in your humi for a bit to let them stabilize. A lot of gorillas actually "dry box" cigars for a day or two before smoking.

I find that lowering the humidity for smoking cures a lot of burn issues and tends to smooth the smoking experience.:2

Internet vendors like Cbid will WAY over humidify sticks for transit so they need a week or 2 of "rest" before they smoke right.

Thanks for pointing this out. I actually had the same problem the first and second time I bought Opus X (wouldn't burn right and stay lit). I gave up on them after that, blaming the cigar. And I did smoke it right after buying it from a B&M.

Well the one I tried was gifted to me in the first place so the price was absolutely incredible...:tu That being said however I had it sitting in my Humi at a steady 65% for just at 4 months and the date the original gorilla had on the label was March of 2007. So she had been sitting for quite a while before I lit it up.

I will try the larger ring guages the next time they are available here and see how those smoke.

I've smoked about four xXx, each time hoping they would get better. No luck. First I thought I got a bad stick but after the forth I'm pretty much done with them. Like the Perfexion No. 5 much better. :ss

The xXx is very spicy , you got that part right . The burn issues happen with all cigars from timr to time . The first Opus I had was the Super Belicoso , made me a big fan , to hard to find though . I've got one in my possesion and will not part with it until I find more . As a tip avoid the Opus "A" in a coffin , too many people I've known who had one all pretty much agreed , not worth the price for all the burn issues , just don't seem to want to stay lit .

Last year I bought about 10 Opus x in various sizes. Smoked a small one pretty fresh and started to feel sick after about 1 inch down.

Last month I smoked another small one, found it to be O.K. but not my kind of flavor (weird spices) but only got sick 1/2 way down.

The remaining ones will stay un-smoked for at least 3 more years. Then we'll see. In any case I will not be buying any more. There are just too many other wonderful smokes, and I don't need to go through all that b.s. just to enjoy a good cigar... Larry.

Back