My first Pepin

macjoe53

Alpha Silverback
I have seen Pepins mentioned many time and have been interested in trying one so when I was online at CI a couple of weeks ago decided to order the sampler that came with 5 Pepins and 5 Cohiba's. Decided to have a smoke yesterday so I pulled out one of the Pepins. It's a JJ. Don't know if that's good or bad or anything but said, "Hey! It Tuesday. Why not smoke one of these."

It lit well and burned very evenly all the way down to about there was 1.5 inches left. The ash held firm until falling off at about the 3 inch mark. I think it fell because I moved too quickly to answer the phone. It produced plenty of smoke and made for some nice smoke rings. From a flavor standpoint I thought it was a little milder body than I usually smoke and was a little non-descript at first. About halfway through the spiciness starting picking up.

As this was the first Pepin I smoked, I have to say it was an "OK" smoke but left me undecided as to whether I like it enough to make it a "go-to" cigar. I'll have to wait and see after I've had the other four.

Not being that knowledgeable about Pepin's, can anyone recommend other's I should try that are under $10 per stick?

Oh boy... there are a lot of good Pepin smokes, but - for the most part - I think they always smoke much better after they settled in your humidor for a few months.

The white didn't have enough kick? Let's see...

DPG Blue Label - For the price one of the best Pepin blends around, IMO. Fuller bodied. Not really expensive, and can often be had on cbid at a discount.

Padilla 1932 - More expensive, but very good. Also fuller bodied (IMO). Be aware, Pepin will not be rolling this for Padilla much longer, in fact he may not be now.

Padilla 8&11 - See 1932.

I would suggest picking up a few blues and seeing what you think. If you want sensory overload, here's the Pepin Whore's thread --> Clicky

I think the JJ is a fantastic mild to medium smoke. If you want something with more "pop" you should really try the Tatuaje J21 Reserva or Blue Label.

Try the San Cristobals, they are DPG made by Ashton. They are all right around that $10-$12 range and are a fantastic smoke. Definitely medium to full bodied. Also good to give these cigars a rest before smoking them. The wait is well worth it IMO.

Oh boy... there are a lot of good Pepin smokes, but - for the most part - I think they always smoke much better after they settled in your humidor for a few months.

The white didn't have enough kick? Let's see...

DPG Blue Label - For the price one of the best Pepin blends around, IMO. Fuller bodied. Not really expensive, and can often be had on cbid at a discount.

Padilla 1932 - More expensive, but very good. Also fuller bodied (IMO). Be aware, Pepin will not be rolling this for Padilla much longer, in fact he may not be now.

Padilla 8&11 - See 1932.

I would suggest picking up a few blues and seeing what you think. If you want sensory overload, here's the Pepin Whore's thread --> Clicky

I'll try and let the four I have left rest for a while and will look at the others when I make my next purchase.

I think the JJ is a fantastic mild to medium smoke. If you want something with more "pop" you should really try the Tatuaje J21 Reserva or Blue Label.

I interested in trying Tatuaje's. I'll have to look a little harder for them. My local B&M's don't carry them.

Back