My First Review: Padilla Habano Robusto

Studebaker

Evolving Lead Gorilla
My very first review on CS is the Padilla Habano Robusto, which I had last night (Cigar Day, unbeknownst to me). This review almost never happened. I probably looked like a maroon standing in my garage puffing on a cigar in one hand and a notepad in the other. And I definitely felt like a maroon after I set the notepad on top of the spare tire on the back of my SUV to do something, forgot about the notepad, and drove off. Still haven't found the notepad. It was a nice leatherbound one too, dang it. But I was determined to recall the experience because of how this Padilla Habano found its way to me.

This stick came as a gift from papajohn67 in a newb giveaway, and last night was my first experience with a Padilla. I'd heard the Dogwatch guys speak well of it so I was excited to receive it. It has made a great first impression on me.

The Holt's website says of this cigar, "The Padilla Habano is a Nicaraguan Puro. Made in Esteli from an assortment of well-aged Nicaraguan leaves, this cigar is highlighted by its dark-brown Habano seed wrapper. The flavor of this vitola is medium-bodied and pleasant with a nice toasty finish."

I was glad to read that because so far I can’t tell much more about flavors than "tasted good" or "didn’t taste good." For the record....tasted good.

This stick had a nice tight wrapper with a couple of veins. The pre-light draw was a little tight, but not too bad. The foot toasted well and once lit the Padilla produced nice mouthfuls of smoke right away. It had an intoxicating peppery aroma.

It was a well-constructed stick with a very even burn throughout and a beautiful grey/white ash. The tight draw continued throughout, but a gentle kneading didn’t reveal any obvious plugs, so I kept toking away.

The middle third brought on what seemed like a metallic flavor I didn’t care for – but I wonder if this could have been from all the fillings in my teeth?

Once I got into the final third, it settled into a smooth pleasant flavor with a kind of a long finish. I'm not sure whether this is a strong cigar nicotine-wise, but I definitely felt it more than some I've had. That'll be my excuse for losing the notepad.

Overall a very nice stick which will find its way into this newb's rotation.
P2270034.jpg

P2270037.jpg

Last edited:
Back