My Rocky Patel night

Even Steven

SilverBack
I'm going to try and keep this as short as I possibly can.

Pulled out a RP "Vintage" 1990 that I've had in my humi for over 6months, when I first got it-it already had about a year on it from the previous owner(I was bombed).

I noticed a big crack in the body, I've always had good luck with these things, no matter how badly damaged a cigar was, it always smoked exceptionally well. So I licked the cap to try and see if I could taste anything, but as usual, nothing lol. I snipped the cap off took a puff and it was nice and easy. I put the flame to the foot and I set for a night full of smoke.

It was very very very very very smoooooth, and tasted so good, nice dark deep flavors, but the smoke was absent, I had to take big double puffs in order to get any smoke. The crack in the body was suspect, I held down the wrapper sticking out and it drew better than before.
I tried to do it that way for the next few minutes but I just couldn't stand it. It had to go, so I took my last few puffs and said good bye to the RP Vintage 1990.
It was good while it lasted.

Not rated.

RockyP002.jpg

RockyP005.jpg

RockyP003.jpg

RockyP008.jpg

I was dissapointed, it was like gettin an oriental massage without the happy ending so I ran up to my room and got another RP stick, the Edge by Rocky Patel Missle Maddie.
Beautiful stick, very nice construction, very firm with somewhat of an oily sheen. Sniped the cap, prelight draw was perfect so I toasted the foot.

Clouds of smoke filled my garage, not as smooth as the last RP(fresh from the B&M) but it held it's own. I was a bit afraid from all the advertisement on these and how "they're not for noobs" but it ended up far from that statement. I mean I'm not that much of a noob but I sure as hell have a low tolerance for nicotine.
I really enjoyed this cigar, lots of smoke, nice dark flavors and very little harshness.

Construction: 10
Ash: 9.5
Draw: 9.5
Flavor: 9
Strength: 7
Overall: 9
If anyone kept up with my last purchase, I went to the local buy another Edge but walked out with a few more sticks. So with that said and done, I definately would reconmend this to anyone, noobs inlcuded.

RockyP006.jpg

RockyP007.jpg

RockyP009.jpg

RockyP011.jpg

RockyP010.jpg

IF IT'S CRACKED,
SEND IT BACK~!!

WEN IN DOUBT,
TOSS IT OUT~!!

Never had one before,
but many have recommended the RP Vintages to me.

The cracked wrapper probably didn't help,
but an EDGE will always come to save the day.

Excellent review
from an excellent BOTL.

That ashtray is looking nice btw..

Your every cigar accessory twin,

HAHA, nice advice! but I don't think I could send back a cracked cigar from a bomb, it really was nice while it lasted though.

You should try a few of these "vintage" RP's, I didn't think I'd like them, but with a few months on them, they open up nicely.

Thanks for reading Mark, you too Skinsfan

I love the way the ash looks on the RP Edge.

The other night I had a cigar that had such a tight draw on it I could barely smoke, so I too threw it out rather quickly. I felt robbed so I went and got another smoke that I was sure would draw correctly. I know how you feel. When we sit down for a good smoke and something goes wrong it is damn near impossible to not get another one, for me at least..

it was like gettin an oriental massage without the happy ending
:r Thx for the new sig line :r

Even Steven - That was a very interesting account of an experience we all go through occasionally.

I have stashes of both the Patels you reviewed, as they just get better and better in the humi. Love 'em... Larry.

thanks for the review. these are two of my fav's that i've had the benefit of trying so far. I liked them so much I bought a box of each.

I love the way the ash looks on the RP Edge.

The other night I had a cigar that had such a tight draw on it I could barely smoke, so I too threw it out rather quickly. I felt robbed so I went and got another smoke that I was sure would draw correctly. I know how you feel. When we sit down for a good smoke and something goes wrong it is damn near impossible to not get another one, for me at least..

:r Thx for the new sig line :r

I hate those moments when a cigar that calls to you just can't satisfy you.

As for the sig, glad I could help! lol

Even Steven - That was a very interesting account of an experience we all go through occasionally.

I have stashes of both the Patels you reviewed, as they just get better and better in the humi. Love 'em... Larry.

I'm planning a keeping a few of each in the humi as well. Good stuff!

Thanks for reading, everyone.

Thanks for the review on the Edge Lite, and sorry about the demise of the Vintage 1990. Makes you wonder if that cigar repair glue (pectin) might have saved it.

Yes I did wonder if that might have gave it another chance.
I've been searching my stores for that Liquid Pectin but it seems as if no one has it.
I know that it's probably for the best, but I just can't pull the trigger on a cigar repair purchase.

sorry to hear about and see your bad luck. these are a favorite of mine ('90 and '92). but your back up plan seemed to go well! good review better luck next time!

I had my first RP Edge Missile Maduro last week on a recommendation from a fellow BOTL and loved it! It's the perfect size. I went out and bought 2 Edge Missile Corojos and can't wait to try them. :ss

Back