My Take on the Padron 1964

andrewk

ChestBeater
I just celebrated my return to cigars with this gem. All things considered, this ranks as one of my all time favorite smokes: definitely in my top 5 cigars of all time.

The size I smoked was about 6.5 x 46: this gave a great balance of flavor and heat of the smoke. (just as a note: I tend to smoke fast on things I like.)

The initial appearance of the cigar alluded to its quality. The wrapper was vein-free but looked like it had some age to it. It was not completely smooth but had a "weathered" or "experienced" look to it. From the very start I felt like I was unworthy of the privileged of smoking this cigar:D :dr A good feeling imho.

A quick cut and a sub-par light with cheap matches (it was a windy night) got me started...

1st third. The flavor is understated but pleasant. I am pleased with the volume of smoke it is putting out (listen to me enough and you will find that I am a whore for cigars that put out HUGE clouds of smoke almost regardless of taste....:ss) The flavor is dry, cedary and subtle.

2nd third: The flavor is building quickly. It seems the cigar is hitting its stride just as I am. Good pacing! I really like the flavor. It is dry, woody, and now is beginning to take on a sandy flavor (this carries negative connotations I think, please ignore those! I like this) The padron recalls memories of seaside holidays. The scent of driftwood is in the air and I can almost hear the ocean nearby. At this point I am not only amazed by the neat flavor but also by the imppecable burn: it is razor straight!

Final third: Luckily, this gem retains its great flavor from before but picks up near the end. Tasting a bit like white pepper, the 1964 goes out with a bang and leaves a lasting impression on me. I am left thinking "Oh, this is why people spend >$200 on a box of cigars!":D Someday I will be ablet o afford that!

I really enjoyed this smoke and given the opportunity would do it again any day! I have no complaints at all, the flavor is not my #1 favorite, but its pretty darn close.

9.2/10!

I have a few of these recovering from travel. Now I am even more eager to try them. Thanks for the review.

Just out of curiosity what is your favorite cigar when it comes to flavor?

I have a couple of the 64 maduros coming....hopefully they are good

Just out of curiosity what is your favorite cigar when it comes to flavor?

Ah! Now you are asking the hard questions..... It really depends on the mood I am in when you ask the question.

Today I would say my favorite is the Ashton VSG- the one I had was about 6 x 44 and had spent ~1 year in a nice cedar humi. Delicious! (Plus it was free to me)

Just to note, this was the natural. I wasn't even aware there was a maduro version. Do most people like it better than the natural?

Just to note, this was the natural. I wasn't even aware there was a maduro version. Do most people like it better than the natural?
Doesn't matter what "most" people like most, only matters what "you" like most. Try them both and you will find your preference. On the other hand, I still can't decide which I prefer. They're both good.
:tu

Personally, I like the maddy better, but in general I think the Paddy 64 ani's are some of the best there is out there in the NC department.

Back