Nasty one day...Delicious the next

Bobb

je snork donc je suis
There has been a lot of talk about the Oliva Series V around here lately, and this story falls in that category as well.

So yesterday I lit up an Oliva Series V Beli and it disappointed me...A LOT! I usually love this cigar, but the last three or four I've had were not tasting right. I wasn't getting the rich earthiness I usually get from the cigar; it just tasted like stale tobacco and was surprisingly harsh (not something I usually experience with this line of Olivas)

Well, today I figured I'd smoke my last one just to clear it out of the travel humi so I can replace it with better cigars...but wait...this one is FANTASTIC!! These came from the exact same box, were smoked less than 24 hours apart from each other, and stored in the same humidor right next to each other. The one I am smoking now is providing that great earthy flavor with a hint of sweetness; just like I remembered them. It is crazy the difference between the two cigars. It's as if I am smoking an entirely different cigar.

Has any one here experienced anything similar to this? (with the Oliva V or any other cigar)

Yup...had a Boli Gold Medal yesterday that tasted like ass (not that I actually know what ass tastes like) and every other one I have had was awesome.

Just figured every now and then you will run into a dud...:ss

I thik this belongs in the joke section, kidding. I like the sence of humor,

Yup...had a Boli Gold Medal yesterday that tasted like ass (not that I actually know what ass tastes like) and every other one I have had was awesome.

Just figured every now and then you will run into a dud...:ss

Yes, with more than one brand too. I figure if you smoke enough of one brand, you're bound to have this happen. I just hope it happens less for all.

:tu

Yupper- you gotta remember these things are hand made, so there certainly are a buncha variables that go into each one. That's why most folks will say you need to have at least three cigars before you can safely judge a particular stogie! You also could come across an exceptional version of a normally average cigar!

I bought a bundle of Fonsecas from Cigars International. The first one was awful. The wrapper splayed and it had a nasty tendency to drop hot ashes in my lap without warning. The flavor was very harsh. The longer they stayed in my humidor the better they tasted and smoked. I can only guess that they must have dried out in shipping and they moistened up again after I put them in my humidor.

I've had similar experiences with the V, also had some construction inconsistencies

But over all I've liked 90% of the 30-40 I've smoked

I have had this happen many a times....the first time...Ashton VSG Tres Mystique...I had one early in the day...loved it...the one I had at the end of the day...didn't make it past the half inch mark...thats just the first that comes to mind...and I expect to have this problem again...

I have also had similar experiences, which I don't mind, what gets me is when I have a good cigar one day, but the next one out of the box is terrible.

Could be a dud, could be change in taste buds, could be what you ate before the cigar.
So many factors can change how you experience a cigar.
Heck even the direction of the wind if you sit outside will do it.

Yupper- you gotta remember these things are hand made, so there certainly are a buncha variables that go into each one. That's why most folks will say you need to have at least three cigars before you can safely judge a particular stogie! You also could come across an exceptional version of a normally average cigar!

In addition to the variables that go into the cigar I think there are variables in us too, like what was the last thing I ate before smoking, what time of day is it, what am I drinking, what mood am I in, how long since my last cigar. Some cigars for me are awful if I just had a nap but awesome just before bed. That's pretty weird but I have learned (somewhat) what to smoke at different times.

:2

I had a Taboo HSG yesterday that royally sucked.
I'm convinced that it has to be an anomally because it's the very first Taboo that I've had that's been anything less than excellent.
I have another one tucked away and I'll smoke it today just to reaffirm my faith.
I've found that some brands are very consistant. All Rob's Taboo stuff has been incredibly consistant. I've never had an "off" JJ Maduro, and I've smoked a mess of them.
I've never had an "off" El Original, and I've smoked a metric shit ton of them.
Oliva's?
I'd score their consistancy at a 3. I've had so many unsmokables that I just stopped buying them.
I have a whole box of Special G Maduro's that I've smoked 10 from and not had a fit cigar yet. I'm slowly clearing out my Oliva's and they'll soon be dead to me.
There's too many people out there making consistant quality cigars with excellent quality control to give my hard earned money to an outfit who just really isn't all that worried, ya know?
For instance, I know that Rob at Taboo smokes a lot of cigars out of every batch he gets in. He pours over them and insists every cigar he puts out meets his own incredibly anal standards.
That's the kind of guy I want to buy cigars from.
I don't think Oliva fits in that category, not even close. At least that's my experience with them, and it's unfortunate, cause they have the ability and talent to make a damn fine cigar.
Almost makes me want to cry. ;)

For instance, I know that Rob at Taboo smokes a lot of cigars out of every batch he gets in. He pours over them and insists every cigar he puts out meets his own incredibly anal standards.
That's the kind of guy I want to buy cigars from.;)

Dang Straight!!

This happened with my very first Opus X. BUT, it was a churchill. I smoked half of it and it tasted like s**t, let it set in the garage overnite cause I wasn't bout to throw away my first 20.00 smoke!!
Next afternoon, lit it up and it was great. Still trying to figure that one out:confused:

Back