Need a recommendation please

jaysun23

Young Ape
My brother loves smoking cigars, but dreads the morning after when, in his own words, "It tastes like you ate the damn thing instead of smoking it."

I haven't been much help because I prefer the stronger, darker maduro's, which he hates, so I'm looking for a recommendation for a smooth, mellow cigar that doesn't leave a nasty taste in your mouth (I believe this is referred to as "finish" in cigar speak, so the shorter the finish the better). Preferrably something under $5 a stick.

Thanks

I find that if I just brush my teeth before going to bed, it cuts down on the morning after taste a lot. That trick works for both mild and full smokes. Some suggestions on mild smokes for him - Carlos Torano Casa Torano, RP Conneticut, CAO Gold, Flor De Oliva. Good luck:w

I'm assuming he brushes his teeth before bed. I can understand what he's saying though because when I smoke something like a Montecristo Platinum, I still can taste it the next morning, even after scrubbing my fangs.

I'm assuming he brushes his teeth before bed. I can understand what he's saying though because when I smoke something like a Montecristo Platinum, I still can taste it the next morning, even after scrubbing my fangs.

I didn't brush last night, woke up with a nasty mouth. brushed and rinsed all was good after

Mouthwash is important to before you brush to help kill the taste. I will often still have it when I wake up but after I eat breakfast and brush again its gone most of the time. Also I have found that smoking more often :ss can help for some reason. I think it is probably just me getting used to having cigar mouth but hey, thats a risk I'm willing to take :)

Listerine right after a smoke...if possible is the best way to kill the taste. I also use it before and after I brush. Still have the taste from time to time, but it ain't all that bad.

Go to Walmart and get a tongue scraper over by the dental floss. Works great!

As far as the stogies, have him try a RP Vintage 1999 which has a mild Connecticut wrapper on it but, from what I have been told, still has a great flavor. Definitely worth a shot. :ss

5V Gold is a nice mild cigar. As for the taste, mouthwash and brushing your teeth is the best routine I've found. Food with a strong taste like citrus works good too.

Sancho Panza regular line is a great mild-medium smoke with tons of flavor. Also i find if i just drink water with a smoke the aftertaste lingers around for a long time, so i try to always drink something with a stronger than water taste, like tea of coffee. BTW the Sancho Panza and a cup of coffee cant be beat.

My brother loves smoking cigars, but dreads the morning after when, in his own words, "It tastes like you ate the damn thing instead of smoking it."

I haven't been much help because I prefer the stronger, darker maduro's, which he hates, so I'm looking for a recommendation for a smooth, mellow cigar that doesn't leave a nasty taste in your mouth (I believe this is referred to as "finish" in cigar speak, so the shorter the finish the better). Preferrably something under $5 a stick.

Thanks

Are you two drinking a carbonated beverage while you smoke (beer or a mixed drink with soda perhaps)? I didn't believe it when someone here mentioned it, however after some experimentation it does seem to make a difference. Have your brother try drinking straight whiskey, coffee, or iced tea with the smoke instead and I think he will find his mouth won't taste so bad the next day..

As for a milder cigar recommendations I think your brother should try Casa Torano and Drew Estate's Chateau Real.

-Matt-

Go to Walmart and get a tongue scraper over by the dental floss. Works great!

As far as the stogies, have him try a RP Vintage 1999 which has a mild Connecticut wrapper on it but, from what I have been told, still has a great flavor. Definitely worth a shot. :ss

:tpd:

Additionally, stay away from Macanudo and HDM NCs! Some smokes are better then others when it comes to the morning after. Try a Indian Tabac FIRE, which you can get bundles for $19-$30 on Cigar Bid. :tu

As soon as I smoke I TRY to brush my teeth right away as well as scrape my tongue. Mouth wash is good too but tongue scrapers are VERY underrated.

img_figs1-4_scraping.gif

I have found that if i drink a few drinks of the crappy walmart brand cola, the kind where you feel the acid in your mouth instead of the cola, before i brush my teeth i dont really have the morning after breath. but i brush, tounge scrape and rinse with crest. but i think the cola really helps.

Wal-Mart, at least by me, sells smoke breath freshener right next to the Ronsons in the tobacco aisle. Worth a try I suppose.

i smoked a montecristo white label and i didnt even know i was smoking it, it was so mild...

then again, like you, i prefer maduros

Back