Need advice-starting store

BigVito

Hut Hunter
I will be opening a store selling cigars, pipes, and have a bar lounge. any tips will be helpful. Anyone currently in the business that can give some help or ideas. where to start off with?

Can't say anything now - time crunch - but run a search - I know that this has been discussed several times here. I'd run one for you but got work to do. Try that out, and if no luck I'll see where those threads are.

sounds good, I did try one earlier. Maybe I will use a different word...

did a search using titles on shop, and store. decent info out there. but not much of what I wasd looking for.. :cool:

Last edited:
Friend of mine has a cigar store. Bought the store, not so much to run the business but because cigars are a hobby to him.
Basically, he says that it's a retail business and success is determined by how well you run it as a retail business. Doesn't matter if it's cigars or books or automobile tires. It's more about cultivating customers, having good prices, location, good hours of operation, etc...
There was a "new" cigar store in Baltimore, Adam Leaf & Bean. Openedto a lot of fanfare. Had deep pocketed investors behind it, large inventory of cigars and accessories. Generally had a lot to offer, but I always felt they needed to do double the business to stay open. The fact that the store was physically located about halfway between two other established stores I think worked against them. Anyhow, despite how well stocked they were and all their hard work, they closed in under three years of operations.

My advice would be to go slow & be careful; there's success in the long run.

Mo

Vito,

Here's a decent thread on items you should be sure to stock: http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8843&page=1&pp=15&highlight=inventory

Since you KNOW that you're opening the store, not sure how helpful this will be, but I found a few links you may want to read up on - probably would have helped more a few months ago when you were THINKING OF opening a store:

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11627

The only other advice I'd give to you if you're looking at inventory is to see what brands seem to be popular on here. Chances are if many people on here like them, they're worth a shot to stock in your store, but obviously you need to make sure your customers out there like them.

Good luck.

Sound advice from everyone. The only thing I can add as a small business owner is to treat each person that walks in the door like they are special. People will buy from people they like.
Good luck.

The hard part always seems to be getting established. I've seen it take 5 years or so, then you get a lot of repeat business from satisfied customers. Not only that, but once you're established and have a good net positive cashflow, you'll find that the vendors will come knocking on your door. You won't be the one knocking on their doors trying to open accounts, establish credits, and build up inventory.
I remember this cigar shop in Cockeysville, MD, The Humidour (that's how it's spelled). Met one of the owners (it's a family business owned by several members) in summer 1999 when the shop was still relatively new. By late 2003, when his younger sister was getting married, everyone of their customers was wishing her well, and even had a small pre-honeymoon party for her.

The information & advice in this thread (see above)http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showth...light=inventory is good. AS far as deciding what to stock, your customers will help you decide that. BTW, don't be surprised if at the beginning your customers mostly want to buy cheap stuff. It'll take (I figure) about 3 years before they're ready to move more into high end premium stuff (not even Davidoff's yet).

Don't neglect the smoking area of your shop. For many cigar lovers, it's difficult to find an enjoyable place to light up and relax. Creating a comfortable atmosphere where new and long-time customers all feel welcome is invaluable. Some people want to talk, some want to read, some want to do nothing but enjoy their sticks. If your store can make them all happy, you'll have a growing customer base.

I definetly want a decent/good lounge.
My next question for everyone is. what is the ideal store size 1200sq ft? 1300? 2000?
ghe said:
Don't neglect the smoking area of your shop. For many cigar lovers, it's difficult to find an enjoyable place to light up and relax. Creating a comfortable atmosphere where new and long-time customers all feel welcome is invaluable. Some people want to talk, some want to read, some want to do nothing but enjoy their sticks. If your store can make them all happy, you'll have a growing customer base.

BigVito said:
does that mean 1300?
You can get by with 900 if you design it right. Make the whole store your humidor instead of building a special room. Keep the "office" at home or make it a closet. just my .02 worth

it also depends on lease amounts. Are you getting space for $9 sq/ft or $40? Asking us these questions is the blind leading the new cigar store owner. I hate landlords by the way, PM me and I will share my knowledge on leases if you want some.

Thanks for the help, 1300 is approx 2k a month. Id like a decent sized humidor, and a comfortable lounge. I know Im vague, but I havent thought of everything.

Back