Need to lower temperture

kllrwlf

Young Chimp
[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-23-02 AT 05:28 PM (CDT)]I'm trying to get the temp lower in my humidor. Right now it hovers around 78-81 (way to high). My house is just way to hot and I can't afford having the AC on all day.

I saw some thermoelectric coolers (I'm currently thinking about the Igloo 50 quart for about $100) and wondered if anyone has used them and if it worked for them.

I also saw some wine coolers (currently thinking about the Haier wine cooler for about $250) that I'm considering as I have some wine bottles that I would like to store, and wondered if anyone used the wine coolers for both their wine and humidor. I saw people use the wine cooler as a humidor only, but would like to also use it for my wine.

I also have a Sanyo mini fridge around the house, would it work fine with a Williams temp controller?

Thanks for the help!
Michael

Michael,

I use a Sanyo SR-4910M refrigerator with a Johnson Controls/Penn A419 digital thermostat. This particular model Sanyo fridge is 9 cubic feet with no freezer, which makes it ideal to use as a "coolerdor." So far I've had no problems with humidity, either. I purchased the fridge at Best Buy and the thermostat at Johnstone Supply.

E-mail me if you'd like further info.

Regards,

[font color=blue] CMD
http://www.habanossa.com/image/logo_02.gif
Embargo? Seriously? :p

Michael,

I am using a wine cooler with great success. I have an Avanti 34 bottle cooler. I am using one pound of Climmaxx beads in the cooler. If you keep the cigars in boxes the fluctuations in the humidity when the compressor kicks on is not a problem.

TAK :)

I'm going to either use my office Sanyo fridge and add a temp controller, or get the wine cooler and use it to store both to store my wine bottles and cigars. I've read somewhere that I can keep it at about 65/65 and I can store both. :)

I'm glad Fall is approaching... hate this heat! :(

Tak,

If I buy a lb of 65* Climmax beads, how much should I put in the wine cooler or fridge ? I've noticed that you put in the entire lb. How much distilled water should I add?

Mike

I keep my 42 bottle Haier at 65 65, I use one lb of beads but i only added about 1 tablespoon of water to them. Seems to be enough. It stays very steady.

Sorry about butting in but I was thinking about doing the same thing but with a small fridge but my question is it safe to put like 2 or 3 desktop humidors in a fridge and what do you use to keep the humidity up? I tried this once before as an experiment in just a regular fridge and it tried out the humidity in an empty humidor in a matter of hours even with a diamond crown and paradigm system.

Mike,

Depends where your live. The Bird is in high humidity Florida, thus no water neeed since he needs to try and draw off humidity. In AZ it is opposite, I need to add water to get humidity to rise.

Where are you located?

I'm in the carolinas so during the summer it is fine but during the winter when the heat is on is where I get concerned. High humidity and heat = ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! So you don't think the wood would be affected by being in a fridge? I tried an experiment once and but a te-amo drimistat in a ziploc bag with a hyrdrometer, before I put it in the fridge it read 70% after I put it in the fridge it dropped to 30! That is but I am afraid of. Thanks for any advice because winter is creeping up soon!

Mike,

Try a pound, I think it will work out just fine. Start with a little more than the recommended amout of distilled water.

Tak,

Am I'm assuming I can put it in any type of container like a plastic container (tupperware), add distilled water, put a lid with holes on it and I'm done...?

Thanks for your help!
Mike

Mike,

Yep, or get your young girlfriends stocking and put in that! I wrap mine in a fine mesh, put it in a tray with a small glass of distilled H2O with some on the beads and all is well.

Back