New Guys: Banana Pudding vs. Cigar Rule

Mister Moo

The Pinnacle of Style
(This is still not an original thought....)

I loved banana pudding the first time I tasted it; the pleasure of the flavor has never diminished. That's not to say I'm not a little more picky than I was 40-years ago, but good is good. I will totally eat pudding with soggy 'Nilla wafers but lean to crispy. If I bought a lot of frozen or freeze dried banana pudding that only got better with time it would never go to waste. Same, by the way, with lobster, shrimp, peanutbutter sandwiches, smoked salmon on toasted bagel, perfect cappuccinos, chocolate cake and Pilsner Urquell beer (on tap).

Not so cigars. Some, but not all, of those that seemed stunning a year or two ago leave me shaking my head today, wondering what the attraction was. Can't say if my taste changed or the cigars changed (or both) along the way, but I bought some which, today, sit lonely in the humidor waiting to be herfed on. And waiting and waiting. Some of my cigars are paperwights.

You've heard it before: taste much, trade a lot, but buy small for a year or two or three. Victor Sinclairs and Boli PCs are not (necessarily) banana pudding. Banana pudding is banana pudding.

~
cU

Tastes change over time but I also think that some smoke don't age as well as others either. I have the same problem, smokes that I thought were very tasty a year or two ago just don't cut it any more. The cigar is the same but I just don't get excited when I pull one out because i just doesn't do it for me any more. On the other hand, I have also had a few smokes that taste great right out of the box but when I aged them they just seemed blah to me. The kicker is that when I went back and tried a fresh one the magic was still there. Some f these were cigars that used aged tobacco so I am wondering if it is possible to age something too much.

Go smoke a lonely cigar.

I've never had a Victor Sinclair and I never have been a fan of pudding, banana or otherwise. I can't really say that I agree with you on the Boli PC's though. Boli PC can't go bad. Think about it. They are an awesome smoke. Using your logic that it is possible your taste have changed in a year, what makes you think your tastes won't change back to liking them next year. Set them aside, try them again in a year. :tu The other possibility is that the Bolis are in the "sick" period and therefore aren't very smokable right now. Same thing applies, Set them aside, try them again in a year. :tu

If you have storage issues. Send them to me, I'll hold on to them and send them back to you one at a time until you give me the thumbs up that you like them again. At that point, if there are any left, I'll send you the balance. ;)

Have a great day!

Mr. M'oo, I'm sorry to hear you've lost your interest in the cigars in your humidor. In the spirit of BOTL-hood, I'll offer to take those cigars off your hands so that you can put that humi to better use, such as storing fresh-roasted coffee beans or espresso accoutrements. :ss

Seriously, I'm in the other camp: the boxes I bought when I first got going in this hobby 2.5 years ago, although dwindling in contents, are smoking even better than I remember them. These would be fairly inexpensive cigars, the $4-$7/stick range. And my more recent purchases, which I'll only characterize as "rarified" :tu , impress my pallate after only a few months of settling. The only hard part for me is opening the humi and trying to choose between the recent great stuff and the aged great stuff.

So, regarding your advice to try a lot, trade a lot, but buy small, I say caveate emptor. Or maybe YMMV. Or...h3ll, I want an AM smoke now. :ss

I appreciate the perspectives. I am still such a noob... only really started smoking premium cigars in August 2006 after a few halting stops and starts prior to that. Already palate changes have been evident, as I would have expected. Still learning a great deal about joining a cigar with the correct meal or the correct beverage, so reading threads such as this one just encourages me to press on in the name of research! ;)

The big question? What cigar goes with Banana Pudding? :r

Gentlemen:

1. Re: Boli pcs, I said "...not necessarily...". Yes. They hold up for me but they may not hold up for the next newguy who buys 5 boxes on day 17 of his cigar journey. My point, that. I know I rarely have a point, so it was easy to miss.

2. Re: your kind offers of help to relieve me of those sticks no longer meeting the banana puding criteria. I will take the nature and tone of your kind offers under consideration. Weasels - all y'all. Watch yer six, Stormin.
:)

I read this thread with great interest and enjoyment. The banana pudding analogy was great, Dan. I was ready to move on to the next thread but when Boli PCs cam up, I felt I HAD to post.

Last night, at the special Tuesday edition of the S.H.I.T. herf, I smoked and shared via PPP, a Boli PC from the 70s that was freaking awesome.

Cuban banana pudding. :tu

I once considered changing my diet of cigars to only include the ones I REALLY liked. You know, the very best of what you have. (The ones you're saving for that "special occasion" that may never come.) I thought that at any time I could be hit by a bus and wind up on a hospital bed thinking about all the best cigars that made up the meat of my collection that I hadn't smoked. I didn't want to go out that way.

So I decided that I would make it a top priority to have my "meat" as often as possible. (Especially the Cuban meat, I've heard it's delicious....)
Which brings me to this:
If you dont' eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!......How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?......

The only thing that closely rivals a banana pudding is a good old-fashioned banana cream pie. I like pie. Pies are round.

Last edited:
So I decided that I would make it a top priority to have my "meat" as often as possible. (Especially the Cuban meat, I've heard it's delicious....)
Which brings me to this:
If you dont' eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!......How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?......
:r :r :r

Which brings me to this:
:r

Who knew Dave could be funny sober?

Well, Bolivars are a smoke that, to me taste good fresh, but have a long aging life. Along the lines of smoking a less than year old Boli over one with less than 5 - 10 years on it. The VSinclairs are a smoke that gets little press but is a very good smoke IMHO, but I don't know how they age. I have some Nestors that are aging very nicely though. Maybe I'll pull out that fiver of Sinclairs you sent me for a taste test, any suggestions where to start? Just not doing it for you now, huh? I'm sure that they will still be good smokes, how ever long you keep them, though, even if it is decades. At some point, your taste buds and the cigars flavor will intersect again.

I once considered changing my diet of cigars to only include the ones I REALLY liked. You know, the very best of what you have. (The ones you're saving for that "special occasion" that may never come.) I thought that at any time I could be hit by a bus and wind up on a hospital bed thinking about all the best cigars that made up the meat of my collection that I hadn't smoked. I didn't want to go out that way.

Which brings me to this:

The only thing that closely rivals a banana pudding is a good old-fashioned banana cream pie. I like pie. Pies are round.
The avatar, BTW, wears like Boston Cream Pie.

They call that Lox ...
"Smoked" seemed a better word for cigar forum rank and file. There are so many techno-dweebs here that lox could've been mistaken for liquid oxygen. As if everybody doesn't already know liquid oxygen sucks on bagels, but SOMEBODY would ask me to explain my position on that. Galaga.

This IS the cigar part of the thing, right? I am here so seldom I'm not sure what it looks like.
Cigar?
Longish brown thingie?
Stuff it in your mouth and set fire to it? Yes?
I'm in the correct forum?

Back