New Humi RH Wont go below 70%

SaltFlyTyer

Master Baiter
Hey everyone pipermacbean and I both have the same ebony humidor purchased at about the same time..

1.The humi's were both seasoned per the instructions.

2.We are both using 65% heartfelt beads.

3.I can't get my RH below 70% and his is even higher..

4.I moved the hydrometer to the bottom thinkin it was too close to the bead cases.

5.I have taken both of the bead cases out for over 24 hours and my RH is still at 70.

We have been speaking via PM about this topic with no positive conclusion at this point..

Any ideas???
..kris..

I'd agree to recalibrate your hygros and then remember, patience is a virtue. It may take a while to balance out, but it's worth the wait...
:tu
:2

How do you know for sure either of your hygrometers are accurate? Have you salt tested them?

2nd this. If you live close by each other, switch our hygrometers, one could be faulty. Last resort, remove beads and leave the humidor open for a few minutes, that better drop the RH.

As the others said, calibrate the hygo. If it's analog, toss it. Get a digital. If still too high, dry the beads completly so they can soak up the excess moisture.

My hydro is calibrated perfectly.. I took it out of the old humi which never left 65%. I then tested it again and it is dead on!! Im gonna leave the beads out to dry, then put them back in.. The humi is stock full of smokes and dont wanna get any mold..

Do you think the seasoning put so much moisture in the wood that it will take a long time too come down??
..kris..

In Florida, with your high humidity I would suggest wetting 50% or less of your beads. Maybe 75/25. :2

It is possible the wood absorbed so much moisture it is holding your humidity at 70%. You may want to try leaving it open for a few hours an see if that helps it stabilize at 65%.:2

I've got a bag of six cedar trays that I seasoned and they are holding the bag at an RH of 65 but i'm letting them sit for a few more days before they touch my precious sticks.

patience's reward is more patience... and a stable humi that's a ready bed for your smokes.

1.) Confirm that you have an adequate amount of RH Beads for your size humidor.

To calculate the volume, simply follow this formula:
Multiply the length in inches X width in inches X height in inches
(ex: 10 in. x 10 in. x 10 in. = 1000 cu. in.)
1 oz = 540 cu. in.
2 oz = 1080 cu. in.
3 oz = 1620 cu. in.
4 oz = 2160 cu. in.
5 oz = 2700 cu. in.
6 oz = 3240 cu. in.
7 oz = 3780 cu. in.
8 oz = 4320 cu. in.
9 oz = 4860 cu. in.
10 oz = 5400 cu. in.
11 oz = 5940 cu. in.
12 oz = 6480 cu. in.
13 oz = 7020 cu. in.
14 oz = 7560 cu. in.
15 oz = 8100 cu. in.
16 oz = 8640 cu. in.

2.) If you do, remove the RH Beads and dry them with a hair dryer set on low until they turn from clear to milky white (ie: from wet to dry) and place them back in to asorb the excess moisture.

Repeat as necessary.

I hope this helps

~Mark

I have been battling this same problem.
Do what Mark suggested. Dry the beads out completely (I use a hair dryer) every couple of days.
I also removed my beads from the tube and put them in a nylon stocking, (.33 at walmart).

1.) Confirm that you have an adequate amount of RH Beads for your size humidor.

To calculate the volume, simply follow this formula:
Multiply the length in inches X width in inches X height in inches
(ex: 10 in. x 10 in. x 10 in. = 1000 cu. in.)
1 oz = 540 cu. in.
2 oz = 1080 cu. in.
3 oz = 1620 cu. in.
4 oz = 2160 cu. in.
5 oz = 2700 cu. in.
6 oz = 3240 cu. in.
7 oz = 3780 cu. in.
8 oz = 4320 cu. in.
9 oz = 4860 cu. in.
10 oz = 5400 cu. in.
11 oz = 5940 cu. in.
12 oz = 6480 cu. in.
13 oz = 7020 cu. in.
14 oz = 7560 cu. in.
15 oz = 8100 cu. in.
16 oz = 8640 cu. in.

2.) If you do, remove the RH Beads and dry them with a hair dryer set on low until they turn from clear to milky white (ie: from wet to dry) and place them back in to asorb the excess moisture.

Repeat as necessary.

I hope this helps

~Mark

I took the beads out of the old humi... My new humi requites 4oz of beads but there are only 3oz in there.. I plan on buying some more when the RH stabalizes..

I have the humi cracked open with the bead containers out right now...
I will see if it lowers, if so i will try the dry bead trick..

I also removed my beads from the tube and put them in a nylon stocking, (.33 at walmart).

I have them in mesh bags simular to nylons but purchased from a aquarium store... Worked great in old humi..
thanks
..kris..

I took the beads out of the old humi... My new humi requites 4oz of beads but there are only 3oz in there.. I plan on buying some more when the RH stabalizes..

I have the humi cracked open with the bead containers out right now...
I will see if it lowers, if so i will try the dry bead trick..
Though I know it's tempting to use one 'benchmark' to determine another, just because you THINK your other humidor is at 65% doesn't necessarily make it so.

Unless you test your hygrometer to know for an absolute certainty, you'll never be sure. You could be off on the other humidor and because your hygrometer is inaccurate, you'll not know it. The only conclusion this comparison can draw for us is that your new humidor is approximately 5% higher than the other one. But what if your hygrometer is actually 5% higher itself?

Do a salt test. Know for sure. Even the best digital hygrometers can be a few % off. I've seen more than just a few Western Cal III hygrometers that were either 2% low, or 2% high.

The other thing I'd offer by way of experience is that most retailers tend to keep their stock at the traditional 70RH or higher, because in a large room the inventory closest to the humidification system tends to be more damp. By placing new inventory into your humidor, you introduce cigars that will tend to raise whatever the RH is in the humi at any point in time. Eventually, it'll be absorbed. In your case, the new cigars seem to have raised the ambient RH higher than the setpoint of your beads. If your humidor was already at 65 or so, and the beads were (theoretically) at their maximum absorbtion, that would explain why you're not able to get under 70RH.

At the end of the day, don't panic. This is a long-term pastime that teaches (or at least SHOULD teach) patience. Slow and steady wins the race. Many newbies tend to overcorrect and panic. Yes, you ought to strive for proper maintenance, but if your humidor swings too low or high for a week or two, it's not the end of the world.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
As Kris said, I am having the same problem... I crack it open and the humidity drops... close it up and it rises back up again. My hygrometer is a brand new Western Caliber III... tested it and it pegged at 74% so that is not the problem. Just as a point of info... the seasoning instructions were to wet the humidifiers and place them inside along with a shot glass of distilled water for 24 hours... there was no wipe down. I still have the humidifiers inside... my bead order should show up in today's mail... needless to say I will be swapping them out asap. I am stongly considering setting up a coolador until I can get this fixed.

As Kris said, I am having the same problem... I crack it open and the humidity drops... close it up and it rises back up again. My hygrometer is a brand new Western Caliber III... tested it and it pegged at 74% so that is not the problem. Just as a point of info... the seasoning instructions were to wet the humidifiers and place them inside along with a shot glass of distilled water for 24 hours... there was no wipe down. I still have the humidifiers inside... my bead order should show up in today's mail... needless to say I will be swapping them out asap. I am stongly considering setting up a coolador until I can get this fixed.

Ah. There's your problem. You have a damp humidification element in there, probably without using any PG solution to manage the evaporation. Get the humidifier(s) out of there, put in some cigars and see what happens in a day or two. The cigars will help buffer.

BTW, what exit? :D

I used to live in Ocean County.

Ah. There's your problem. You have a damp humidification element in there, probably without using any PG solution to manage the evaporation. Get the humidifier(s) out of there, put in some cigars and see what happens in a day or two. The cigars will help buffer.

BTW, what exit? :D

I used to live in Ocean County.

Sorry forgot to mention... using Xikar 70% solution (new "in transit" beads are 65%). My humidity reads at around 73%... given the "1% off" for my hygro I am at approx 74%... I am beginning to think it's the cigars themselves... I have already maxed out to capacity:cool:

I take the exit for Hillsborough in Somerset County:z

Here is a link (purchased on another site but this gives a better description)
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Mercha...0EB&Category_Code=MDHUMIDORS&Product_Count=30

Sorry forgot to mention... using Xikar 70% solution (new "in transit" beads are 65%).

Make sure you use only distilled h2o on the beads. :tu You can always take the humidification out for a few days/week to let the rh come down and stick it back in for a day when it needs a bump.

Back