New Padilla Achilles

Mark C

Lowland Gorilla
I saw this on the back of the last CI catalog, figured I'd post it up for anyone who may be interested.

I'm a little confused though. The description says 'new and improved', though the pic still has the 2006 band on it. I don't remember the original coming in 3 sizes, though I could be wrong. Anyone tried one yet? At the current price I couldn't resist and bought a bundle. I've got no room so some of them may end up in the WTS forum :ss

The bands just look like the Obsidian with a different color, which is prolly why the "2006" is on it too. (Not that they just re-used the obsidian band, but they have the same premise "reproduction" wise.)

I did want to try these. Hopefully I can find a 5-er or something on here. :tu

I'm curious myself, the description states it has a Habano wrapper where the old ones always said Corojo. I know these could be similar but why change the description?

Please keep me posted

Finally got a chance to light one up today. Been a helluva weekend, wife's grandfather passed away, so it was good to sit back on the deck with a smoke and solitude.

After reading another post here about the loose draw, I did a quick 'squeeze test' of about half the bundle I received. I found they seem to vary quite a bit. There are a few in there that will likely draw loose, and there may be one or too that'll be tight. I grabbed a stick I thought would smoke well.

Pre-light aroma was very nice, grassy, little spicy, very promising. Took a bit of work to get lit well, even with a torch, but once it got going it burned well. Only one slight touch-up necessary. Having come right off the truck last Thursday I was pretty happy.

Definitely a full-bodied, full-flavored smoke. I got tons of rich, creamy, dense smoke with every puff. Very smooth, no harshness, no bitter flavors. I'm terrible with describing flavors, but I'd say there were notes of cedar, coffee, maybe a little chocolate going on. No spice, no bright flavors.

Bottom-line, I was very pleased with the stick, ESPECIALLY for $2.50/ea. Unfortunately I only smoked the first half, by that time the black flies started biting and ruined my moment. I've never had one of the original, so I can't make any comparison there, but I'm considering buying another bundle while the price is still right!

EDIT - Forgot to mention, they are still packaging these with the '2006 limitada' band. I think it's odd they left that date/band despite the new blend.

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to light one up today. Been a helluva weekend, wife's grandfather passed away, so it was good to sit back on the deck with a smoke and solitude.

After reading another post here about the loose draw, I did a quick 'squeeze test' of about half the bundle I received. I found they seem to vary quite a bit. There are a few in there that will likely draw loose, and there may be one or too that'll be tight. I grabbed a stick I thought would smoke well.

Pre-light aroma was very nice, grassy, little spicy, very promising. Took a bit of work to get lit well, even with a torch, but once it got going it burned well. Only one slight touch-up necessary. Having come right off the truck last Thursday I was pretty happy.

Definitely a full-bodied, full-flavored smoke. I got tons of rich, creamy, dense smoke with every puff. Very smooth, no harshness, no bitter flavors. I'm terrible with describing flavors, but I'd say there were notes of cedar, coffee, maybe a little chocolate going on. No spice, no bright flavors.

Bottom-line, I was very pleased with the stick, ESPECIALLY for $2.50/ea. Unfortunately I only smoked the first half, by that time the black flies started biting and ruined my moment. I've never had one of the original, so I can't make any comparison there, but I'm considering buying another bundle while the price is still right!

EDIT - Forgot to mention, they are still packaging these with the '2006 limitada' band. I think it's odd they left that date/band despite the new blend.

Thanks so much for the review!

Back