Newb at the B&M

jaymz

preserver of the universe
I had smoked a RyJ Habana Reserve before, looked up the price online:

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/search/stats.cfm/inum/25876

but i figured i'd ask the B&M in my area if he had some / could order some first ...

He didn't have any in stock - and quoted me a price of $189 for a box of 20

Am i missing something here? Is it usual to have B&M prices over three times
higher than online prices?

:confused:

I had smoked a RyJ Habana Reserve before, looked up the price online:

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/search/stats.cfm/inum/25876

but i figured i'd ask the B&M in my area if he had some / could order some first ...

He didn't have any in stock - and quoted me a price of $189 for a box of 20

Am i missing something here? Is it usual to have B&M prices over three times
higher than online prices?

:confused:

try 5x over and welcome to socal.

The b&m with private lounge which I'm a member at sells opus for minimum $30/stick, partagas 160's for $60, can't wait to see what the Padron 80th's are going for...

It's good to support your local, but if they're gougers, then just order online from a trusted board supplier.

The b&m with private lounge which I'm a member at sells opus for minimum $30/stick, partagas 160's for $60, can't wait to see what the Padron 80th's are going for...

It's good to support your local, but if they're gougers, then just order online from a trusted board supplier.

Padron 80's are 30.00 a stick here

Only time I would order from a B&M would be to pick something special up, something hard to find or a limited release cigar. Anything else comes online.

since we're on the topic, what is the BEST place to order online? I have been to CI, Thompson, and all the google-friendly retailers. Is there some place that i'm missing, or should I stick to these big name retailers online?

Me personally, I would never order any cigars from Thompson.

There are many other wonderful companies out there.

CI is a nice company..but I normally use Bestcigarprices.com. cause their prices are extremely competitive on most items.

Speaking of B&M..I just went to a new one in my area..they have the biggest walkin humidor I've ever seen in my life!! They boldly state, that they have the biggest humidor in the state of Pennsylvania. I normally use B&M's for single cigars only, and today I actually picked up a house blend for the first time. I actually liked the house blend so much, I'm going back tomorrow to get me a bundle of them.

since we're on the topic, what is the BEST place to order online? I have been to CI, Thompson, and all the google-friendly retailers. Is there some place that i'm missing, or should I stick to these big name retailers online?

If you're looking for singles online, the place I like is tampahumidor.com. They give free shipping on their singles. Its a good place to make your own sampler IMO.:tu

I hope its not Red Cloud, they charged my boss like $250 for membership, then gave him a hard time when he brought in his own stogies.

It's like buying wine, get a decent bottle of red for say $15 at the grocer, buy the same bottle in a restaurant and pay $30. You are paying for overhead, online shops do more volume and pass along the savings.

Use your B&M to experiment with new sticks, use places like Famous, Holts, Tinderbox, etc., for you box purchases.

Then start smuggl..err, check auction sites as well.

Most times I go to the local for singles. Sometimes to try new things or sometimes just to pick up a handful of things I enjoy just to support the local guy. More times than not I order boxes and manufacturers samplers online simply because I can get them much cheaper. Perfect example is yesterday I went to the local Tinder Box and thought about picking up a box of AF Cuban Belis but they wanted $150+tax. I said forget it since I know even with shipping I can save at least $20-$30, which can be used to buy a bundle of yard gars. I did pick up $70+ worth of singles so they made out good. Finally got my hands on a couple of Anejo 55's:tu

I always have a list of smokes I'd like to try. When I'm ordering 5ers or bundles from my main online merchants, I check to see if they have singles of the "like to try" smokes. That way I save money on the stuff I would normally get at the B&M. Famous and Holts usually have singles of their stuff.

Rick

Speaking of B&M..I just went to a new one in my area..they have the biggest walkin humidor I've ever seen in my life!! They boldly state, that they have the biggest humidor in the state of Pennsylvania. I normally use B&M's for single cigars only, and today I actually picked up a house blend for the first time. I actually liked the house blend so much, I'm going back tomorrow to get me a bundle of them.

Where in PA?

B&M is for singles to try. Online for everything more than that. I have two B&Ms in town. One sells Edges for $6.88 each. The other sells Edges for $5 each or 4 for $17. Sadly, I might be getting a summer/second job at the more expensive one since their cigar guy knows nothing about cigars.

B&M is for singles to try. Online for everything more than that. I have two B&Ms in town. One sells Edges for $6.88 each. The other sells Edges for $5 each or 4 for $17. Sadly, I might be getting a summer/second job at the more expensive one since their cigar guy knows nothing about cigars.

Two b&ms around me offer discounts for boxes, one at 10% the other at 20%. Most cases it's cheaper than online when you figure in shipping. If they don't have it they'll order it.

As far as Opus goes, they don't have a huge selection but they always have some. $10-$15 for most (perfexion x,4,5xXx), $30 for coffins.

It could also depend on your state tobacco taxes.

RyJ Habana Reserve is about $4.50-$6.00 a stick in Michigan.

Yeah i guess i should have thought of state taxes, i'm in michigan also.

Anyone have a good pointer to the current tax burdens on stogies, both state and federal?

Back