Newbie + Coolidor

JohnDoe

Young Chimp
Hi guys. This is my first post here but I have been reading a lot.

I have just got into "smoking" cigars and have never smoked anything before. Anyway, since this isn't an introduction thread, I would like to ask your opinion on the Coolidor that I would like to build.

I will smoke maybe 2-3 cigars/month and would like to store about 200-250..

I am a student and live in a small apartment so space is an issue. I would like to get ~$28qt cooler, what do you think?

Particularly, this one http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-28-Qt...2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1221471094&sr=8-2

What do you guys think of it? I know seal is the most important thing so I want to make sure that it is good...

I also plan to get ~4 Cedar trays http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ch&Product_Code=TRAY

to store the cigrs in. Do you think they will fit (dimensions wise) into this coolidor? Furthermore, any opinions/suggestions? Thanks in advance guys.

while cedar trays are neat, you can probably save some money by picking up empty cigar boxes from a local B & M. The wood ones are almost always cedar, and they would probably give you the non-fancy boxes for free or really cheap. Plenty of ceday this way, and gives you some humidity swing protection. Only drawback is the lack of ability to see what's in which box. But that can be helped by taping an inventory sheet to each box lid.

Welcome,
Before you order a cooledor online I would check your local rite aid or wal mart, or the other big chain stores. They might have a coolodr on sale since they are getting out of season now.

The other thing with dimensions is whether you're planning to have any boxes or not. Are you going to buy any boxes of cigars? Are you going to store the single cigars inside boxes (with or without lids)? When I've been cooler shopping I've noticed that a lot of the smaller coolers don't have a big enough footprint to fit an average size box, so check the bottom dimensions of the cooler against what you're planning to do. Some are also tapered down so the bottom is smaller than the top, making boxes very hard to store.

You might end up with a little bigger cooler than you intended, but since when has that been a problem? I'm sure you can find the space :tu

A bigger cooler is the way to go and get some beads to control the humidity. I use boxes that I got from my B&M for storage, so you probably won't need the trays. Get a digital hygrometer and your ready to go. :tu

Next step, post an introduction New Gorilla Forum and start on down the slope. :ss

I will smoke maybe 2-3 cigars/month and would like to store about 200-250..

Good luck! :ss I tried that plan but the slope got me! I'm up to 2 - 3 on the weekends now, having started earlier in the year.

Good thing you're making a Coolidor. Welcome to the jungle!:bl

thanks everyone. This place is really cool, lots of helpful people around, and thanks everyone for their advice...

A couple of things..

-I will not be storing boxes in it
-The reason I would like those trays is because I just want everything to look neat and organized and be able to see what I have when I open the Coolidor :)
-I will get the humidity beads from HF and some mesh bags.
-I really don't have any Walmarts/Targets in a wide radius around where I live. That, and I am extremely busy with school so really no time to drive to get to the store.

*So what do you guys think? Decent cooler? Should it fit those trays?

*Also I keep reading about the Padron 3000s being an excellent cigar and being that I'm a newbie it should be great. Only problem is, how do I find these in stock? They are out of stock everywhere!

while cedar trays are neat, you can probably save some money by picking up empty cigar boxes from a local B & M. The wood ones are almost always cedar, and they would probably give you the non-fancy boxes for free or really cheap. Plenty of ceday this way, and gives you some humidity swing protection. Only drawback is the lack of ability to see what's in which box. But that can be helped by taping an inventory sheet to each box lid.

:tpd:

Welcome to Club Stogie. :tu

Listen to the above, what mikey said and go with the beads for humidity control.

I just, seriously, can't wrap my head around storing 200 - 250 cigars and that being almost 8 - 10 years worth of smokes for me. I'd probably have that gone in less than 6 months. Do I need to seek help? :D :ss

*Also I keep reading about the Padron 3000s being an excellent cigar and being that I'm a newbie it should be great. Only problem is, how do I find these in stock? They are out of stock everywhere!

That sounds good to me. If you want the trays, go for it. I would advise at least a 50qt Coleman or Igloo cooler and I just quickly checked Holts and Serious and they have the 3000's. The 2000's are really good too and cheaper! :tu Although, I would advise that you try to smoke everything. It will take a while but it's a great journey.

Here is a list of great vendors. http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7550

Last edited:
thanks everyone. This place is really cool, lots of helpful people around, and thanks everyone for their advice...

A couple of things..

-I will not be storing boxes in it
-The reason I would like those trays is because I just want everything to look neat and organized and be able to see what I have when I open the Coolidor :)

Buy the cooler and then you can measure to see if the trays will fit.

I like the Padron 3000s in both Natural and Maduro. You should check with Rob at Taboo as it looks like he has them in stock. Check in the retailers section for discount codes from Rob. :tu Click on link. http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=178729
Pick up a sampler of the Taboo blends while you're there. :ss

thanks guys. I got the cooler along with the Padron 3000 Maduro.

Now how mnany beeds to you guys recommend for this cooler? 1lb should suffice?

Also should I place them in the mesh bags from HF?
And lastly, could someone please link me to those little fans that I should get?

P.S. I'm thinking of getting a radioshack wireless hygrometer. There is one a block away from where I live. What do you guys think?

If you go with beads, I don't really see the need for a hygro. I have a fridge with a pound of beads and a CA in it and have absolute minimal maintenance with it. I bounce a hygrometer from place to place within just to deal with my OCD on the subject.

thanks guys. I got the cooler along with the Padron 3000 Maduro.

Now how mnany beeds to you guys recommend for this cooler? 1lb should suffice?

Also should I place them in the mesh bags from HF?
And lastly, could someone please link me to those little fans that I should get?

P.S. I'm thinking of getting a radioshack wireless hygrometer. There is one a block away from where I live. What do you guys think?

One pound should be enough, just spread them out in two or three bags. Any digital hygrometer will work, just be sure to calibrate it using the salt test. :2

thanks guys. Actually I went with 1/2 pounds of the beads.. Do you think I should go with a 1lb?

According to there web site I should be more than good with a 1/2 lb of beads in a 28 quart cooler. Or am I mis understanding something?

thanks guys. Actually I went with 1/2 pounds of the beads.. Do you think I should go with a 1lb?

According to there web site I should be more than good with a 1/2 lb of beads in a 28 quart cooler. Or am I mis understanding something?

That should be fine. One pound would have been enough for the inevitable second cooler.:r:r:r:bn

Sounds like you are well on your way down the slope. Great advise so far.

I have a comment to add on the tray vs. cigar box. I went somewhere inbetween. I used the lids of cigar boxes as cedar lining for my coolerdor. With the lids removed, the boxes are much easier to see into.

I then took the boxes and drilled many small holes in the bottom and sides (evenly spaced to satisfy my OCD) to encourage airflow. Sanded down, they look pretty alright.

Just my :2. Good luck with it all!

Back