NEWBIE First Stick

leasingthisspace

4 chat go to extras
Well if you’re reading this first I will say thank you for your time.I would then like to say Thank You LT. I think I should start off with a little background story. I have been a smoker on and off (mostly on) for like 15 years. I have had cigars before but the last time I had a real cigar was so long ago, I almost forgot what they were like. When I say cigar I don’t mean the ones you buy at the gas station or some how come across as some dried out thing that once was a cigar. I am talking about like what I had last night.
In the short time I have been on here I have seen how easy it is to slip down the slope everyone talks about. Since last night I really haven’t thought about much else other then the next chance to experience my next smoke. I can see how easy it is to fall down that slope.
PADRON 2000/3000? I am not sure which one it was. I have read the difference is the size. If I were to guess I would say it was a 3000, but that is just a guess. Me and LT (I will tell you more about him as this goes) sat and fired up two sticks not really sure what it was he had but I am sure it was nice. The first couple of draws were strong to the point it was hard to tell what I tasted. After it mellowed out a little I could taste a few flavors. Earthy- it was like smelling the fresh soil and knowing whatever I used it for it would grow. Nutty- hazelnut or maybe macadimeni nuts that were roasted. Chocolaty- not the kind that is milky but more like the good stuff like 80% cocoa kind, almost not sweet enough to eat. During most of the smoke the 3 flavors bounced around one would be stronger one draw but the next draw another flavor would take its turn for the lead. The last third of the stick the flavors mingled but along came some different flavor that I am at a loss for how to describe. I wouldn’t call the finish bad it was different from the rest of the smoke.
I would like to try and keep this as a possible place for advice for Newbies and a place to write about when you realized what a great smoke is like. Talk about what you smoked last night but tell me more then that, tell me the story behind you and that stick.
Well till next time.

learn from your LT, we are educating him in the chat, he's a smart student and a great botl. But in a few weeks he will have a Lars Tetens Gorillafinger, if he offers that one to you, REFUSE!

Thanks for the posts I will have to keep the advice in mind.

Tonite I had a REO Robusto it was mellow with a way better finish then the start. The first few draws were slow but as it got going it got better. I could feel as it went on that I was going to try to smoke this one to my finger tips. It was slightly sweet and very mellow. I could see this stick as someones daily fix.

I think I like a little more earthy feel to cigars but I am sure as time goes on I will learn to know what I like more.

The padawan is learning.

I want to thank everyone that was there tonight. It was one good time.

very nice :D
It is very nice to see how you are finding your way into smoking good cigars, the LT is a nice guy, hope to meet him when he comes over for R&R :D

Let ms say this in an honor to be spoke about like this. This, to me is the long lost keystone in leadership. I'm not going to spin off onto some crazy military tanget but just getting to know your troops and especially being able to enjoy a good smoke!

This is post is the idea behind CS. Expand the love of cigars to those that accpet it, share some laughs, make friends, make brothers (of the leaf!) I'm looking forward to the next herf, the next 6 months! We have pleanty more smokes to burn though!

LT K

Welcome to the club! A Padron is always a good choice. With the ability to recognize so many flavors on your palate, you will really enjoy smoking a number of different smokes. Just a warning, ignore the urge to pick a favorite. Continue to smoke as many different cigars as you can. A favorite will find you this way. Enjoy!

Welcome to the club! A Padron is always a good choice. With the ability to recognize so many flavors on your palate, you will really enjoy smoking a number of different smokes. Just a warning, ignore the urge to pick a favorite. Continue to smoke as many different cigars as you can. A favorite will find you this way. Enjoy!

Best advice for a Newbie/rookie to the site!

For your first sticks, you probably want something with a good flavor that is not overpowering. Some that might be good for a starting point, that won't flatten your wallet:

Oliva Serie G
Rocky Patel Vintage 1990
Carlos Torano Casa Torano

Sample a little bit of everything. There are a lot of different flavors out there, and the journey is half the fun. Once you discover some you like (and others you don't) you will have more of an idea how to narrow down your choices when you are looking for something new.

Enjoy the journey, and welcome.

You can also try samplers from some of the online cigar companies. That gives you a way of trying out a lot of different brands, and you aren't stuck with a bundle of something you don't like.

Back