Newbie lighter comparo: Blazer PB207 v. Xicar Exec

Brad

Young Ape
About a year ago I invested in my first "good" lighter, a gunmetal Xicar Exec. For a while it served me well, but as of late, i've been having problems. I fed it a diet of the cheapie Ronson fuel from Walmart (I know, horrible) and now it simply will not ignite. I'm pretty sure it's the crappy fuel, but that isn't all. The finish of the lighter is starting to look pretty ragged. Also, the tank on this thing must be the smallest ever invented, I only get maybe 4 or 5 cigars out of it before it needs a refil. Even when working, the flame wasn't enough to light larger ring guage sticks, and would freaquently blow out in the wind.

I was at my favorite cigar shop today and they had Blazer PB207's for $38, so I picked one up. Also got a can of King 3x butane for $4. So far, I'm really impressed with the Blazer. This thing fires on the first click, every single time. I even tried it sitting in front of box fan on the higest setting, still works. The tank is huge, and I like the fact you can see the level so I know when it's refill time. It might not be the prettiest thing on earth, but it works. For me, it's function over form. As a side note, the can of King butane is gigantic, I could see getting many many fills out of this thing for $4.

I am a believer, PB207's do rule!

I have a new Xikar Exec. and I am not impressed. I am looking for a new lighter, I will either get a Blazer or a VECTOR VULCAN TRIPLE TORCH from taboocigars. Anybody have comparisons on the two? I know the Vector looks better, but I need one that freakin works as well.

I have a new Xikar Exec. and I am not impressed. I am looking for a new lighter, I will either get a Blazer or a VECTOR VULCAN TRIPLE TORCH from taboocigars. Anybody have comparisons on the two? I know the Vector looks better, but I need one that freakin works as well.

What problems are you having with yours?

It just doesn't work very well. It doesn't always work on the first try and I have a hard time getting my cigars lit with it. I have a cheapo triple torch that I bought years ago that works much better. I use Colibri fuel wich is triple refined so that shouldn't be the problem.

It just doesn't work very well. It doesn't always work on the first try and I have a hard time getting my cigars lit with it. I have a cheapo triple torch that I bought years ago that works much better. I use Colibri fuel wich is triple refined so that shouldn't be the problem.

Dang, guess I'm not the only one. Try the Blazer, mine is working great so far. Even on the highest flame setting, my Xicar wasn't a strong flame, and it wouldn't even light on the lower settings.

The Xikar can probably be helped by my lighter fix guide (linked in my signature).

I have 2 Vectors and IMHO they are worse than Xikar for more money. I would still take a Vector over a Colibri, don't get me wrong. My experience (and others - I think IHT as I recall) with Vector lighters is that the fill valve on them bends easily and doesn't have sufficient spring tension; as a result the valve can stick open and the lighters will empty the butane you just put into them. If you do get a Vector just be very cautious when filling it. I still really like the soft flame Vector Emporer lighter I have, but my Vector Stratos has been unused for years..

The Blazer PB-207 is an incredible performing lighter that just looks like crap. It is the ultimate utilitarian lighter. The $10 Blazer Z-Plus zippo insert has been just as reliable as the PB-207, but isn't quite as powerful but you could consider it and get a nice Zippo shell if you really hate the looks of the PB-207.

i love the looks of the blazer, it looks rugged and simplistic, not likely to break. this will be my first real lighter.

Is the only difference between the Blazer CG-001 and PB207 the looks? I kind of like the looks of the CG-001 better, if it works as well I will probably get that one.

Not sure if there is any point in sending the Xikar in. It isn't broken and does work, just not very well.

Is the only difference between the Blazer CG-001 and PB207 the looks? I kind of like the looks of the CG-001 better, if it works as well I will probably get that one.

Not sure if there is any point in sending the Xikar in. It isn't broken and does work, just not very well.

During the period that the PB-207 was not available in the U.S. due to its lack of child protection I had read complaints about the CG-001, claiming it did not perform as well as the PB-207 but I haven't read any complaints about its reliability. If the complaints are to be believed the CG-001 may not have quite as powerful a flame. I have thought about picking up a CG-001 to try but I already have 20+ lighters I don't use.

Another thumbs up for the Blazer Z-plus zippo insert. I purchased one of these about two years ago on a whim (it was cheep) and have not looked back. Works great every time I use it. Not a huge tank, but big enough and easy to refill. And many neat old and new zippo designs out there.

I don't have a blazer but I will put a good word in for Xikar, I have the Executive and it has lit at least 100 cigars and I don't remember one time it didn't fire on the first click, it is my usual goto lighter, in fact I just ordered another Xikar today.................just cus it looked purdy :ss

While I fully understand the function over form argument, part of the fun of this hobby form me is also the gadgets and trinkets hence why I don't have the blazer, I do like the large visible tank idea though.

images
BY A
images

About a year ago I invested in my first "good" lighter, a gunmetal Xicar Exec. For a while it served me well, but as of late, i've been having problems. I fed it a diet of the cheapie Ronson fuel from Walmart (I know, horrible) and now it simply will not ignite. I'm pretty sure it's the crappy fuel, but that isn't all. The finish of the lighter is starting to look pretty ragged. Also, the tank on this thing must be the smallest ever invented, I only get maybe 4 or 5 cigars out of it before it needs a refil. Even when working, the flame wasn't enough to light larger ring guage sticks, and would freaquently blow out in the wind.

I was at my favorite cigar shop today and they had Blazer PB207's for $38, so I picked one up. Also got a can of King 3x butane for $4. So far, I'm really impressed with the Blazer. This thing fires on the first click, every single time. I even tried it sitting in front of box fan on the higest setting, still works. The tank is huge, and I like the fact you can see the level so I know when it's refill time. It might not be the prettiest thing on earth, but it works. For me, it's function over form. As a side note, the can of King butane is gigantic, I could see getting many many fills out of this thing for $4.

I am a believer, PB207's do rule!

I commend and thank you for this review. However, comparing a year old lighter that was fed cheap fuel against a new lighter with a better fuel is, IMO, a very fair comparison. This is like comparing an old well worn tire against a new tire and declaring the new tire a better of the two.

I commend and thank you for this review. However, comparing a year old lighter that was fed cheap fuel against a new lighter with a better fuel is, IMO, a very fair comparison. This is like comparing an old well worn tire against a new tire and declaring the new tire a better of the two.

The lighter never worked very well, new or old. And FWIW, I cleaned out all the Ronson fuel and filled it with 3x refined butate and it still doesn't work.

I've used Colibri with my Xikar Exec. from the beginning and it hasn't worked very well. I just purged it and filled it up again, maybe that will help. I bought a cheap Jet Line Dual Torch for 12 bucks shipped and got a free Colibri with a purchase at JR Cigar and they both work much better than the Xikar.

Thanks for the review.

Have a Blazer PB207 and for some reason it goes out with just a small amount of breeze. Cleaned it with pressurized air and use good butane so I do not know what the problem is. Inside it fires up every time and works great.

Used the Xikar again tonight. The purging and refilling actually helped a lot. Much better than it was before. Still not as good as the Colibri and Jet Line because their flame is stronger. But much happier with it after purging and using again.

Back