Newbie needing help

Guido

Young Chimp
Hello all, I'm obviously new to the forum, and fairly new to the art of cigar smoking...I'm in the Army and currently deployed to Afghanistan...I am looking for a nice Humidor to be waiting for me when I get home...The wife and I decided on one that has a glass top and possibly a couple drawers for the gadgets that go along with it...And one that holds a fair quantity of sticks...Here's 2 I'm looking at now...If anyone has other opinions or options PLEASE feel free to help a newb out...here's the links for the 2 I'm looking at now...

http://secure.thompsoncigar.com/default.as...59&page=product
http://secure.thompsoncigar.com/default.as...58&page=product

Again thanks in advance for all your help or advice...I am really enjoying my new found hobby after a long day in the desert...This seems to be a GREAT site and I can't wait to get back to the States and get in on a Pass...

Peace...

Guido...

guido-
first, the links you provided dont seem to take me anywhere except the thompsons homepage. so i can't be of too much help there. i can say be careful with the glass top humidors. i have heard of several experiences with them. yes they look very nice, but b/c of the glass top can sometimes become way too hot inside. so placement will be very important if you have one of those.

also i want to say thank you for being who you are and where you are and god bless.

and of course welcome to the board!! :D
you'll enjoy it!!
jimmy

God Bless Our Troops!!!:u :u :u Welcome to the jungle, one word of advice...do it right the first time and spend what you have to not what you want to;) .:u Oh, and if you have kids or are planning to have kids you might want to reconsider glass tops:c

link fix

Sorry for the bunk links heres the pics...

#1 this one holds 150
87_1.jpg

#2 this one holds 100
601_1.jpg

welcome to cs ... i've seen a few humidors from thompson and they are pretty good for the price (i guess they are stuck with a lot of them and are trying to get rid of their stock). i think they're fine as a starter... just note that the quoted number of cigars the humidor will hold is extremely exaggerated.

also, check out wayne's (trusted friend) site: http://www.silverstatecigar.com

lord hammer said it right. spend whatever you can. i know 150 might sound like a lot, but this is very addictive hobby(more so than most), and you will outgrow no matter what you have eventually.
good luck!
jimmy

Guido...

Thanks for serving our country.

Much good advice here from other gorillas especially about glass tops. Never get a glass top if you have kids.

robmcd is also spot on about the amount of cigars a 'dor holds being exagerated.

Also, beware of humidors where the price looks too good to be true. 99.9% of the time it is.

Welcome to the Jungle!! I am thankful that we have people like you in this country who are willing to sacrifice what they must to protect us. As for the humidor, I agree with the other LLGs, I would think about a 300 count humi, you can pick them up for under 200 and that 300 will probably mean about 200 sticks. No matter what you get you will eventually run out of room. God bless you in your fight overseas and may you come home safe and sound. HOOYAA!!!:u

Thanks

Thank you all for your advice and shared knowledge...As for kids none now and none for awhile so thats not an issue...As for stick count thats new to me but makes perfect sence...I just wanna make sure I find one that looks classy...So you guys are making it harder for me hehe...I been all over the net looking for the one that just bites me...Anyways thanks for the warm welcome and if I ever decide on one I'll let yous know...Thanks again...And for anyone finding a Classy looking 300ct Glass top 'dor with all the fixes and I purchase it I will hook them up the best I can when I get back to the states...

Peace...

Guido, Welcome to the jungle!

I have a glass top humi I keep in my bdrm closet, I use the Oshkosh system..worked great from day one..65-68% realative humidity, no fuss or muss, added distilled water (ounce maybe) twice in the past year. Here is what I have in the closet. (to hide from me kids + be able to look in at O dark thirty and grab the days smoke, I have a flashlight next to it!)
http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/itemdetail.asp?SKU=HUM-BH4
I live in Seattle though, may make a difference, pretty wet up here. I would say to be sure of one thing, use a digital hygrometer.

Go big! I also ended up spending much more than my initial purchase would have been, because now I have 3 humidors ( w/3 humidifying devices, and 3 digital hygrometers!) and I'm about to buy a fourth (the antietam)
http://www.silverstatecigar.com/merch/antietam.htm
and also make a coolidor! I say this because I've only been smoking cigars one year! If I would of bought the above humidor first, I would be a much happier and richer man today. :w

PS, I only smoke 4-5 cigars a week, with a breakout day here and there when I go crazy and smoke 3-4 one day!

Oh yeah, Thank You for serving our country!:u Let us know what you end up with. :w

Welcome to the Jungle!!!

Silver State Cigar is run by a member here. He has some good prices on humi's. He is also very reputable and a great guy.

I have a glass top and have not had any problems with it.

Contact OnePyroTec at silverstate.

Welcome to the jungle from the desert! I thank you as well for proudly serving this great nation:u

Others have given great advice. My input would be that Thompson has some sketchy customer service. I would venture to Silver State or Bargain Humidors, either Wayne or Mike will do you right. Just my two sense:) Glass tops are ok, just not where there's any sunlight. Oh forgot, yes go digital for sure on the hygrometer, much more accurate.

chose a humi

Okay all I finally found one that bit me...600ct...Here's the pic what do yous think it would cost then I'll tell yous what I paid...

mvc-030s.gif

This is almost identical to the one I bought...

Any thoughts...Thanks for all your help guys/gals...

Peace...

guido-
this one looks like it's $300 on cheaphumidor.com but i hope you don't get one there. lots of bad reports.

might find it on ebay or another retailer for a little less, but with shipping it'll probably be a $300 cabinet.

good luck!
jimmy

Guido,

I just wanna say thanks for all that you and others have done over there. GOD BLESS THE U S of A!

I need a new humi myself so thanks for all the input here!:u

Oooh!

Such pretty pictures. I'm gettin all excited & turned on.

Thompson's was my first two humidors and I still have them and they're still good (although I now store them, one open & one closed, on a shelf in my closet humidor). All the other sources that members have mentioned are also good. I've bought from all but http://www.silverstatecigar.com but I think I'll be trying them out soon as well.

Listen, welcome to CS, enjoy your new humidor, keep up the good (hard) work, and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

MoTheMan

I got it for $229.00 shipped to the house...Now I REALLY can't wait to get out of this damn desert...Thanks aguys for all your help and advice I'm glad I came here first...Thanks for welcoming me into the "Family"...

Peace...

Obviously he dosent know about the newbie requirement here to send cigars to everyone yet.;)

Back