Newbie Review - El Centurion Gladiadores

tedrodgerscpa

PSHC - Vandy's B*tch
For my 100th post, I figured I'd make it a review!

DISCLAIMER #1: I still consider myself a n00b when it comes to the leaf, and I don't always pick up the slight scent of '7 year old burnt Madagascar vanilla', but I knows what I like. This review comes with a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!!!

DISCLAIMER #2: My usual 45 minute commute to work this morning took over two hours, so I'm a little pissy this evening!

Sorry for no pics, but I enjoy most of my smokes at night, in low light conditions.. the camera would just harsh my mellow!

Here goes nothin'...

Ordered the double sampler pack from Philly Smoke Shop / Hermit 11 here http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=102375, and they arrived safe and sound. Let them settle in the humidor for as long as I could (eight days), keeping them at around 67%. Sent one to another BOTL, fired up a Gladiadores tonight.

First impressions...

Wrapper not too toothy, and pleasant to look at. Very uniform in color, but probably not the most beautiful wrapper I've ever seen. Why is it some sticks just beg to be toasted (i.e. Pepin's San Cristobal)? No expense seemed to be spared on the band, which is both big and beautiful... took pics at the thread mentioned above.

This cigar must weigh a TON! Relative weight seems to be at least two sticks in the hand, and very very very firm. Right off the bat, I have some draw concerns with a cigar that feels this firm. A quick clip with a cheap double-blade and a pre-light draw don't seem to alleviate these fears. But, I've never had a construction issue with a Pepin creation before, so I'm hopeful.

A toast of the foot seems to take FOREVER (how much tobacco is in this thing?), but it seems to get going with a short-lived tunnel on one side.

The first 1/2 inch of this thing left me with two questions...

Why in the world did I pay $73 for six sticks on an internet purchase? Was it Don Pepin's reputation alone that made me pull the trigger?

The answer? Unfortunately, yes... at least that was my answer for the first half inch...

Into the first inch, I've got a reasonable ash going, but it carelessly falls into my laptop keyboard. :mad: Again, sorry no PRON photos, but you've probably seen better ash in your day!

Draw is starting to ease up a little bit, and a woodsy smell is coming through when I snork it. Figured it would have burned a bit slower for it's weight.

Not getting the 'warm-bellied' feeling I get from his Tatuajes or San Cristobals at the half-way point, and I'm thinking that there are some cheaper alternatives out there.

However, the smoke from the lit end does take on a slightly earthy undertone, and there's some hints of warm baking, kind of like cinnamon, as I cross half-way. One thing's for sure... this stick ain't no one-trick pony, but I'm still not sure I'm gonna re-order.

Normally when I smoke, I go through a rather large 24 oz travel mug of coffee and a glass of water. Helps clean my palate and prevents that 'burned in' taste associated full bodied cigars. I have to remind myself to drink during this one, as this one is more medium than it's billed 'medium to full body'.

At the 2/3 mark, this bad boy starts to pick up some steam, and I can feel the spice on my tongue. Is it going to live up to it's billing of medium to full body? IT TOOK LONG ENOUGH!!!

The draw is starting to have a familiar tone... reminds me of something 'Siglo-ish' I haven't had in a while!

Things are really turning around, and I can't wait to see what happens next! Kind of like an episode of LOST, back when that show was still pretty good.

Ash is holding square and firm now. Starting to wonder, did I get an anomaly?

Into the home stretch, the flavor profile keeps changing, and is getting spicer. Kind of wished it would have started out this way. Gonna go ahead and nub it, just to be sure :tu

At the end, I liked the last 1/4 of the stick, but seems like a lot to go through to get there.

SUMMARY:
Borrowing from another BOTL's Ratings: (where 1=Lowest, 10=Highest)

Appearance – 7
Pre-light Flavors- 7
Construction – 9
Draw – 8 (except for the brief moments when the draw briefly reminded me of a certain Siglo)
Aroma - 7
Flavor/Taste – 7
Burn/Ash – 8 (razor straight after minor early tunnel, ash not firm as other Pepin's)
Finish – 7
Smoking Experience – 7

Overall, I'd give it a 7.75, which is not nearly as high as I'd expect from the price point

Thanks for reading along!

Good job on the review. Don't worry about the images. A lot of people complain, but I don't think they add much.

Nice review. I am not really seeking this blend, but love Pepins so if the right price is there I will make the plung on these. thanks.

Well just picked up one guerreros. I will post a review once I smoke. I will say that I don't feel the weight in this like the SC or others. Seems light for a 10-15 dollar Pepin smoke. Even if I like I don't know if I will pay these prices. Especially if the SC's can be had for cheaper.

I'm looking forward to your review...

The Gladiadore is the largest vitola, which may be why it felt so heavy, in my review.

And if it was HALF as good as the Ashton San Cristobal, I'd be happy.

Will let you know. I don't mean to prejudge a cigar before I smoke it, as it could knock my socks off. I was referring more to the tightness of the filler I think vs. the weight of the cigar. I thought the SC was tightly packed vs. this Cent. Only smoking will tell if they live up to their price. Either way I look forward to it and will let you know.

Nice review!

I love these, I have been smoking the Emperadores like crazy. Spicey,creamy,nutty. A splendid cigar by the Don once again.

Back