Newbie with Questions

Master of Disaster

Maturing Primate
Hey Guys!

I've been lurking for a while and have decided to step out of the shadows because I have a couple questions:

1) A local shop near me is selling the "new" Pre-embargo Pinar cubans. I looked around and it sounds like they have a bad reputation, but the shop owner says these aren't the crap they were pushing in the late 90's... these are the "real deal"... Also the tinderbox (yeah....i know) has the same story. What's the group consensus here?

2) Also... I got a humidor a few weeks ago and it holds 65% very consistently.... but no more? I did calibrate... is this ok? Or am I doing something wrong?

3) Also I'm going out of town for a few days next weekend... If I throw 5-6 smokes in an old Padron cedar box will they keep? or do i need some kind of humidifier in there?

4) Is there something fun I could be doing with all the bands I take off? I put every new one in a ziplock bag and have about 50 or so kinds.. (remember - I'm new!) any ideas?

Thanks for helping a new guy out! I tried not to ask questions that I could find out the answer to other places.. but I would appreciate some input from the experts! Also.. anybody in Raleigh, NC area want to get together and burn some smokes?

1) I know nothing about them, someone else will prolly give you a good answer though

2) 65% is perfectly fine, alot of people(me included) perfer it over higher rH...

3) Depending on your defintion of a "few days", they should be fine...

4) I guess you could do some arts and crafts with them but being the manly man I am I haven''t done anything like that :r :cool:

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

#2 Patience......larger creedo......refill creedo more often....check for leaks (in a dark room place a flashlight in the humidor, close the lid....if you see any light you have a leak.) I also agree with Treyjo.

#3 Pick up a humi bag from your local cigar shop. Keep them in a cool place and not in your car.

#4 Put them in a gallon glass jug. A colorful addition to your desk. :cool:

Last edited:
Treyjo43 said:
1) I know nothing about them, someone else will prolly give you a good answer though

2) 65% is perfectly fine, alot of people(me included) perfer it over higher rH...

3) Depending on nour defintion of a "few days", they should be fine...

4) I guess you could do some arts and crafts with them but being the manly man I am I haven''t done anything like that :r :cool:

I think Treyjo covered all but #4. You can do a template for a scrapbook on your desktop. Do your reviews on it, print it out & tape the bands to the page, then put in a page protecter & a 3 ring binder. I did that for quite a while, but have been putting most of them on the net as the book got very thick.

Master of Disaster said:
Hey Guys!

I've been lurking for a while and have decided to step out of the shadows because I have a couple questions:

1) A local shop near me is selling the "new" Pre-embargo Pinar cubans. I looked around and it sounds like they have a bad reputation, but the shop owner says these aren't the crap they were pushing in the late 90's... these are the "real deal"... Also the tinderbox (yeah....i know) has the same story. What's the group consensus here?

2) Also... I got a humidor a few weeks ago and it holds 65% very consistently.... but no more? I did calibrate... is this ok? Or am I doing something wrong?

3) Also I'm going out of town for a few days next weekend... If I throw 5-6 smokes in an old Padron cedar box will they keep? or do i need some kind of humidifier in there?

4) Is there something fun I could be doing with all the bands I take off? I put every new one in a ziplock bag and have about 50 or so kinds.. (remember - I'm new!) any ideas?

Thanks for helping a new guy out! I tried not to ask questions that I could find out the answer to other places.. but I would appreciate some input from the experts! Also.. anybody in Raleigh, NC area want to get together and burn some smokes?

I will give my humble opinion on your questions!

1) Man, I wouldn't touch these with a ten foot pole! If you want some ISOMs, there are other ways to obtain them that are much more reputable. Like me, I am going to Montreal next week and have a few ISOMs up there! :)

2) I live in Colorado (dry, dry, dry!) and had to end up putting two humidification devices in every humidor I owned. Your humidifcation devices could be too small, but since you are in North Carolina, I doubt this is the problem. I would try adding more water to your devices and see what happens.

3) I bet you they would, especially if you are in the east where the humidity is high.

4) There is a site on the internet that will take your bands and give you prizes. If you are interested, let me know and I will put it up (I'm at work and don't have it with me).

smokemifyagotem said:
stay far away from Pinars. Biggest scam in cigars. :pu

of course that hasn't stopped perdomo from trying to sell "pre-embargo" stuff for nearly $20 a cigar as well. hell, they have it under a "glass case" display at the local shop...

i'm sure they're alright cigars, but i highly doubt that they're anywhere near a cigar that has an embargo against it.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I'll stay away from the Pinar.. carefully watch the humidity in my box, enjoy my smokes at the beach without worry, and continue to collect my bands - even if that causes manliness questions :)

I appreciate all the input! And thanks for being so accomodating to another new guy.

Back