Newbies beware: What edge have you fallen off?

jgros001

Alpha Silverback
Everyday I see a thread saying "you guys have done this to me". So I figured I'd start a thread to warn the newbies. I'll start it off...

I am at the point where I am waiting for a 1200 cigar cabinet to arrive (the # is probably off but that is what it is advertised as). I have a nice collection starting and the beetle threads have got me paranoid. So, I went out this weekend and got a food saver. I am currently sealing up the long term boxes and freezing them. The freezing to give me piece of mind to an extent. The food saver bags to both contain any potential outbreaks to a single box - because these are boxes I do not want to open for a few years. Also, to make it that more difficult to get my grubby hands on them to smoke. I spend hours on the internet...this site and another one reading to find more information, vendor sites to see what they have and anything special popping up that I am looking for, searching for vendors that I have not found, looking at cigar accessories, etc. I guess the only thing going for me is that I have bought anything on cigarbid, but I think these other sites are worse. My name is Jeff and I'm a cigaraholic.

Now let's here some other stories to scare the newbs :mn

If you keep the temp and humidity fairly stable I don't think you're going to have to worry about beetles too much...furthermore, IMO I wouldn't seal boxes using a food sealer, as the sticks inside will get no air due to the plastic, and they won't age...you might in fact, incur mold, as the moisture in the boxes will be trapped...the cellophane sleeves that cigars are shipped in, in the US are permeable and while the cigars won't age as quickly as they will without cellophane, they will age regardless...I think long term freezing would cause the cigars to dry out...the reason for freezing has to do with destroying beetles, and then the regimen is usally to freeze them for three days in an airtight container to kill the beetles, then let them come back to room temperature gradually by leaving them in the fridge for one day before being brought back out...I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will ring in here, and correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...

LOL I know how you feel. ive belonged to these forums for 2 weeks now, I spend an average of 4 to 5 hrs a day surfing the net watching cbid and reading about cigars. I cant get away from cbid Im addicted :/ I go over and over the lots to see whats selling cross checking it against ci to see what it sells for on their retail site and doing it again. I have gone from buying $20 worth of cigars a month to almost $200 in the last 2 weeks :D I know buying 5ers off cbid costs me more yet I have more fun competing against other enthusiasts for particular brands I want than buying full boxes. I even see how close to the wire I can get to the end of the lot before making a final bid to try and steal a deal out from under somones nose. then when Im bored and our in town cause of work or something I browse the B&M and look for new cigars to try. unfortunatly after the cuesta rey fiasco Im not very impressed with my local merchant, he never really tells me what he thinks I always seem to get " yeah they are a decent cigar" or " yeah they are good" I honestly dont think he knows very much or doesnt have the onions to be honest.

Just to respond
Neuromancer said:
If you keep the temp and humidity fairly stable I don't think you're going to have to worry about beetles too much
yeah but I still do even at 63/63, I'm paranoid

Neuromancer said:
furthermore, IMO I wouldn't seal boxes using a food sealer, as the sticks inside will get no air due to the plastic, and they won't age...you might in fact, incur mold, as the moisture in the boxes will be trapped
The food sealer is quite similar to tubos, no air circulation but still ages albeit slower (this could be discussed on end and would deserve its own thread)

Neuromancer said:
I think long term freezing would cause the cigars to dry out...the reason for freezing has to do with destroying beetles, and then the regimen is usally to freeze them for three days in an airtight container to kill the beetles, then let them come back to room temperature gradually by leaving them in the fridge for one day before being brought back out
yep, that's the procedure I use, certainly not storing the cigars in the freezer.

Great story holdd

jgros001 said:
The food sealer is quite similar to tubos, no air circulation but still ages albeit slower (this could be discussed on end and would deserve its own thread)

They are your Cigar's Jgros but I don't believe your cigar's would benefit from sealing them in plastic for long period's of time. The best aged cigars come from Cab's stored in a 65-70% RH/70 F enviroment. At least that is what I've read from several sources.

In regards to freezing 30 days is usually necessary without the use of commercial sub zero freezers to ensure 100% kill rate.. if you have access to a freezer that can go below zero the time is significantly shorter..

Back