Next Trend in Cigars?

moogjuke

Young Ape
Gents--

What do you think will be the next trend in cigars? size 70 brutes? So strong you can't walk? all figurados, all the time? Dated vintage crop cigars?

Best

Joe

That's tough.

The big ring stogies seem to still be on the rise- however I don't really dig that so much. Recently I have discovered that I prefer my cigars long and slender (6.5x46 is a nice size).

Figurados are nice, and they are offered by quite a few- but I don't see this happening so much- however it could be growing.

I think strength will continue to grow- but at some point this will diminish and we'll see more manufacturers with more finesse in their blends.

I see more dominican wrapped cigars coming soon with the vintage 2006 crop in the Dom. Rep.

As far as marketing goes, I see makers putting dates on boxes, maybe even bands, and putting out more info on particular crops in particular years. In other words, they may follow what wine makers have been doing all along, with very good results.
This is already being done by Oliva with their Master Blend.

I think the trend has been bigger for a while now, I wouldn't be surprised if smaller RG cigars started making a comeback to reverse the trend. The trend is a circle, not a wavy line.

I go with the Figurado... and maybe more smaller RG cigars... because ppl saw the interview from Castro that stated that they were smaller RG cigars.

JMHO!

I think the trend (if there is one) will be whatever tastes good, and therefore more attention will be paid by manufacturers to the art of blending. Look at the hottest names in the biz right now; they are making their fame by sweating the details with their blends and the overall construction of their cigars. They will make more of what tastes the best, which is not necessarily bigger ringed cigars. It seems to me that in the nc arena some manufacturers are locked into making comparisons with Cuban cigars. The better makers will compete with those aspects of cuban cigars which make them attractive eg. taste, balance and construction, and their potential for continual development of their cigars through aging. From what I read too, the cigar boom years still loom large for most manufacturers, and they don't seem to want a return to those times. I also think there will still be niche cigar brands or boutique makers who put out good cigars at an affordable price point, because not every potential customer can afford higher end brands.
But then again, who knows what they'll do? :rolleyes:

WOW...great info. I also find anything above a 50 or 52 to be tiresome and painful, except maybe in a really short format. What about all the talk that thinner RG stoges cannot have as complex a blend?

How about some contraction in the number of brands out there? That would seem to do a lot of good, no? Do the conglomerates really need so many brands? It seems to really confuse (perhaps that's the point).

I see the "trend" (if that's what you want to call it) as being a total ban on smoking a cigar in public. I see no blend, shape or size being publically tollerable.

I see Big Macs as actionable threats to public safety...

I see toothepicks as potential weapons of mass destruction...

I see all kinds of stuff!

As far as marketing goes, I see makers putting dates on boxes, maybe even bands, and putting out more info on particular crops in particular years. In other words, they may follow what wine makers have been doing all along, with very good results.

I think that is what needs to be done for the noncubans and hope the manufacturers pick up on it. The first ones to do it will really make a name for themselves if their stogies are good as well. I've mentioned this on different cigar-producer's forums, such as Camacho, and the idea got swatted down by the loyal minions. Responses like, "I just like good cigars man and Camacho makes good cigars" was the general level of mentality. But I see this cigar groupthink turning around as people get more into collecting and aging cigars.

My own personal prediction is the rise of cigar "speakeasy" establishments to counter the swelling mass of anti-smoking legislation. Its already happening in BOTL basements and garages, its not too long until it becomes an underground sensation among BOTLs and spousal units. This will be accompanied by an increase in "black market" sticks to counter oppressive taxation.

I will also predict the rise of puros from the Dominican Republic, Honduras, etc - there are some designer puros from these countries now (you know what they are), but they will be mainstream B&M material soon, preferably in smaller RG's.

Macanudo will continue its domination of the US market. Smaller producers will try to supply the niche markets with extremes -- dangerously obese cigars, overly powerful cigars, and an endless variety of NCs that are "just like" Cubans.

This is, of course, mere speculation.

:2

:tpd:

I too expect more of this. Also, I think we will see a swing back to more moderate rgs (mid 40's) and probably an increase in price.

I agree with the "vintage" and date codes. As premium tobacco production outside of Cuba comes of age, I think that there will be a trend to match some of the "branding" that comes with any premium product. I think that the best manufacturers today have moved well past attempting to ape Cuban cigars and are really starting to make a name for their own. I see more of this in the future. Also, if the Cuban market opens, I see a near total demise of the Cuban wannabe brands. I believe that the NCs that will survive the opening of Cuba will be those that are top notch cigars on their own right, such as products by Fuente, Davidoff, and others that have put a lot of time and effort into creating their own product and own leaf.

I think the trend (if there is one) will be whatever tastes good, and therefore more attention will be paid by manufacturers to the art of blending. Look at the hottest names in the biz right now; they are making their fame by sweating the details with their blends and the overall construction of their cigars. They will make more of what tastes the best, which is not necessarily bigger ringed cigars. It seems to me that in the nc arena some manufacturers are locked into making comparisons with Cuban cigars. The better makers will compete with those aspects of cuban cigars which make them attractive eg. taste, balance and construction, and their potential for continual development of their cigars through aging. From what I read too, the cigar boom years still loom large for most manufacturers, and they don't seem to want a return to those times. I also think there will still be niche cigar brands or boutique makers who put out good cigars at an affordable price point, because not every potential customer can afford higher end brands.
But then again, who knows what they'll do? :rolleyes:

:tpd: Very well said. I do not think that things will keep getting bigger and longer. I think that most markets in which cigars are luxaries are the same markets where people don't have time to adequately enjoy the larger RG cigars. They are too busy making the money to feed back into it. So I think smaller thinner RG cigars will increase on the market. I know I don't really enjoy smoking a cigar for 2 or 3 hours..... and can't think of many friends who would enjoy that regularly.

I agree with the "vintage" and date codes. As premium tobacco production outside of Cuba comes of age, I think that there will be a trend to match some of the "branding" that comes with any premium product. I think that the best manufacturers today have moved well past attempting to ape Cuban cigars and are really starting to make a name for their own. I see more of this in the future. Also, if the Cuban market opens, I see a near total demise of the Cuban wannabe brands. I believe that the NCs that will survive the opening of Cuba will be those that are top notch cigars on their own right, such as products by Fuente, Davidoff, and others that have put a lot of time and effort into creating their own product and own leaf.

:tpd:

The top NC's have stopped chasing Cuba and now have a caught up by having their own product that is as good but different in taste; like the best of Cal and Aussie wine going against 1st growth's and premrier cru's.

The date code is a novelty to NC's to some degree, but they should adopt it if their cigars are worthy of aging.

We'll see a return the thin RG's. A median quality level that is higher than it ever has for the industry. More companies moving away from the Cuban copy cat. More regional cigar blends. More organic growing techniques and rare tobacco varietals being grown and blended.

Last edited:
I find a lot of the new cigars have a Medium body but more medium to full flavor.. I think they are getting beyond making the shock and awe cigar that will blow away your palate. I think Maduros are becomming more popular with the mainstream cigar smoking public..

it seems everyone wants to be like the Anejo.. I find nothing wrong with that!!!

I think any "trend" or marketing tactic would have to be to attract new smokers, not to increase sales among existing buyers.

Therefore, a "milder" smoke would be in order to bring in the new smoker since most new smokers start out with mild smokes.

And it would also have to be a "shorter" cigar, simply because it just seems that people don't have time in their schedules for a long "sit down" smoke.

Just my :2

Back