Nicotine Buzz - How did that happen

billybarue

Luvin' me some Lagavulin
I got sat on my ass yesterday by a smoke that I have had before that hadn't given me any trouble (it is a PC to boot).

I think I am a nicotine ligtweight, but have recently weathered some heavy stuff with no problem (ie camacho coyolar). I had just eaten, no alcohol consumed, was feeling fine and out of the blue it hit me. Haven't had that feeling in a year or so.

One gorilla mentioned smaller gauge cigars can actually be more potent, but I have had this smoke before with no problems? Any explanations - do the rollers sometime just mess up on the blend?

Cheers,

BillyBarue

Ya know ... I still smoke cigarettes like there's no tomorrow (and if I keep it up, there may not be a tomorrow...but then, I digress) and often times find myself inhaling part of a stogie and then lighting a cig after even a nice strong cigar, cause I want that instant nic kick that I've been used to getting for the last 22 years.

Yesterday I smoked my first Anejo 46.

I've been known to go through 3 packs of the nasty lil' coffin nails on a bad day and I've been known to chain smoke a full pack at times. (I'm better about this now, ... but there were those times) I've also smoked brown rope & black rope tobacco out of my briars and some of my favorite flake tobacco is the nic-ridden 1792 flake.

..... all this being said, I have *never* had a nic kick to the head, like that lil' anejo 46. It was one yummy, but mighty powerful stick.

I went out yesterday afternoon with a Magic Mountain and a beer to try to put the Patriots loss behind me. In the past I have found that maybe 3 or 4 Magic Mountains in a box will be much stronger than usual. This one was in my humidor for about a year and turned out to be one of the real strong ones. After the aging it did not seem to be so until I got up to grab another beer from inside the house. No drinking before or during the game, but I has a serious nic buzz when I stood up. Interesting.

do the rollers sometime just mess up on the blend?

Selecting tobacco leaves to roll into a cigar, is a lot like selecting apples at the market. You have a very good idea as to how sweet it’s going to be by looking at it and knowing what type of apple it is.

Ever get an apple that’s sweeter or more tart then the others from the same bag?

That would be my guess as to why 1 or 2 sticks from the same box can be stronger then others.

Our body chemistry is also in a constant state of flux.

Most days I could (not that I do) put a fifth of scotch to rest. Then one day out of the blue 3 fingers will have me crawling on my lips.

Dmntd

I find this interesting...I've been smoking cigarettes for the past 6 months or so (probably 3-4 cigarettes a day), and whether or not I get much of a head buzz of of one is up in the air. As far as cigars, I have yet to get any sort of nicotine buzz since I've started smoking cigarettes. Anyone know if nicotine actually enters the bloodstream when smoking a cigar? I can only imagine it does, how else would a nic buzz arise?

One gorilla mentioned smaller gauge cigars can actually be more potent, but I have had this smoke before with no problems? Any explanations - do the rollers sometime just mess up on the blend?

Cheers,

BillyBarue

Have you been smoking any less in the cooler weather? I smoked a Padron Londres maduro on Friday night that gave me a bit of a nicotine buzz which I've never gotten from that cigar before. The only thing I could think of was that I've been smoking a couple cigars a week instead of at least one a day since the weather got cooler.

That might be it, but down here in Louisiana it is actually perfect smoking weather right now. I may have slowed down a little. Don't smoke a whole lot anyhow - about 3 a week.

I just noticed your TX address - I guess I should have said, "over here in Louisiana" instead of down here.

Cheers

Last edited:
Anyone know if nicotine actually enters the bloodstream when smoking a cigar?

I read that it does, but at lower levels than those experienced by cigarette smokers—mouth versus lung absorption. However, if there is more available to be absorbed from a higher concentration...

Our body chemistry is also in a constant state of flux.

It seems to me that everything about smoking cigars is in flux. Like Huckleberry Finn, the more you learn about it, the less it makes sense. Just at the point when you decide that you can finally commit to an absolute statement, something comes along to throw you into confusion. There may be some science in the Art of Smoking, but not as we know it, Jim. There are too many variables, but that's part of the enjoyment.

That might be it, but down here in Louisiana it is actually perfect smoking weather right now. I may have slowed down a little. Don't smoke a whole lot anyhow - about 3 a week.

I just noticed your TX address - I guess I should have said, "over here in Louisiana" instead of down here.

Cheers

Hehe, that's why I said the "cooler" weather. While the past week of 30s and 40s is cold to me I know it isn't to some. :) Still too cold for me to stand outside for an hour plus.

To answer the question asked by thunderbucks:
Anyone know if nicotine actually enters the bloodstream when smoking a cigar?

I am new here, but I think I have some information that could be of help. Me and some buddies debated this not too long ago and came to some simple conclusions. For starters, nicotine can be absorbed through the mouth (just the same as someone chewing tobacco, minus the fiber glass). Also, nicotine is diluted in your spit when you smoke (ever notice the brown color you spit turns after a smoke). If you swallow you spit when you smoke you absorb a whole lot of nicotine into you system. It may be possible that you swallowed more spit then you usually do (that is only if you usually spit while smoking).

I can TOTALLY relate to being knocked on my ashtabula by a cigar. Last week when I tried my first (and new favorite cigar) La Gloria Cubana Serie R it gave me the biggest nicotine buzz I've ever had in my life. Seriously. I had to go lay on my couch for a half hour after I was done. Even my wife was looking at me like I was nuts. Needless to say, I'm going to be on the lookout for more of those babies!

As far as spitting goes with smoking-is that something everyone does? I notice I do once in a while, sometimes worse than others. Do cigar afficieonados (sorry about the spelling!) consider that to be rude??

As far as spitting goes with smoking-is that something everyone does? I notice I do once in a while, sometimes worse than others. Do cigar afficieonados (sorry about the spelling!) consider that to be rude??
Personally, I don't spit while smoking. But then, I don't spit ever, except after brushing. Now that you mention it, with the exception of those who chew tobacco, why the hell does anyone spit, ever? :confused:

PS: Wait. I can think of one other circumstance after which some people spit, but let's keep it clean. :r :bn

Depending if I am indoors or outdoors will dictate whether or not I spit while smoking. Of course it also depends of what Im smoking of course...

"The alkaline pH of smoke from blends of tobacco utilized for pipes and cigars allows sufficient absorption of nicotine across the oral mucosa to satisfy the smoker's need for this drug. Therefore, smokers of pipes and cigars tend not to inhale the smoke into the lung, confining the toxic and carcinogenic exposure (and the increased rates of disease) largely to the upper airway for most users of these products. The acidic pH of smoke generated by the tobacco used in cigarettes dramatically reduces absorption of nicotine in the mouth, necessitating inhalation of the smoke into the larger surface of the lungs in order to absorb quantities of nicotine sufficient to satisfy the smoker's addiction."

full article

-------

"The absorption of nicotine from cigars was measured in 7 male subjects who each smoked a single small cigar containing 14C-nicotine. The proportion of nicotine in the mainstream smoke delivered to the smoker's mouth was greater than that observed for cigarettes, but the proportion of nicotine in the cigar smoke which was retained by the smoker was about the same. The total dose of nicotine retained varied between 1 and 4.5 mg. Arterial plasma concentrations of nicotine were as high as those achieved by cigarette smoking but rose more slowly. Some nicotine from small cigars is absorbed by inhalation of the smoke into the lungs and some by buccal absorption."

article abstract

"The alkaline pH of smoke from blends of tobacco utilized for pipes and cigars allows sufficient absorption of nicotine across the oral mucosa to satisfy the smoker's need for this drug. Therefore, smokers of pipes and cigars tend not to inhale the smoke into the lung, confining the toxic and carcinogenic exposure (and the increased rates of disease) largely to the upper airway for most users of these products. The acidic pH of smoke generated by the tobacco used in cigarettes dramatically reduces absorption of nicotine in the mouth, necessitating inhalation of the smoke into the larger surface of the lungs in order to absorb quantities of nicotine sufficient to satisfy the smoker's addiction."

full article

-------

"The absorption of nicotine from cigars was measured in 7 male subjects who each smoked a single small cigar containing 14C-nicotine. The proportion of nicotine in the mainstream smoke delivered to the smoker's mouth was greater than that observed for cigarettes, but the proportion of nicotine in the cigar smoke which was retained by the smoker was about the same. The total dose of nicotine retained varied between 1 and 4.5 mg. Arterial plasma concentrations of nicotine were as high as those achieved by cigarette smoking but rose more slowly. Some nicotine from small cigars is absorbed by inhalation of the smoke into the lungs and some by buccal absorption."

article abstract

wow...good article.

Back