no humidification needed........

madurolover

Icehog '08 YES WE CAN!!!
my lady bought me a 75 count humi for christmas.I took the time to season it properly and it maintained 68-70% for about a month.I noticed one day it had rose to 76% so i raised the lid for a while,it never dropped!I removed the humidification device which is a plain sponge in the case and the humidity slowly dropped to 68%.The device has been out for a month now and the humidity is steady at 65-68%.Has anyone else had this happen,and if so what could be the reason for it?:confused:

What kind of hygrometer are you using? It sounds to me like an uncalibrated analog. If that's the case, I'd say get a digital, salt test it, and put it in your humi ASAP... But I'll wait for your reply before I say more..

If you opened the lid and it stayed at 75% that means your house is at 75%. If this were the case you would need some beads just to bring down the humidity. It seems more likely that the hygrometer is off. Pick up a Western III Digital hygrometer..

madurolover said:
...I noticed one day it had rose to 76% so i raised the lid for a while,it never dropped!I removed the humidification device which is a plain sponge in the case and the humidity slowly dropped to 68%.The device has been out for a month now and the humidity is steady at 65-68%.
Weather.com says Myrtle Beach rh is 84% right now and running, in general, around 63-65%. Got the heat off and a window open? Looks like Andyman cracked the code.

Mister MaDuroo said:
Weather.com says Myrtle Beach rh is 84% right now and running, in general, around 63-65%. Got the heat off and a window open? Looks like Andyman cracked the code.
that does make sense then.. 84% in NC!! In my house right now I am at about 20% so it is hard to imagine struggling to keep the umidity down.

The heartfelt beads should work well keeping the humidty to 65 or 70% depending on where you want to be.

Andyman said:
...that does make sense then.. 84% in NC!!
Uh, Andyman, sir, you are my friend, a BOTB and I honor you but please to permit a teencie-tiny ever so minor and insignificant correction. I live in North Carolina. We humidify our cigars normally here. It is to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, that we send our youth to drink beer and bourbon:al , eat fried seafood platters and junkfood:po , chase the opposite sex 24/7:mn , barf:pu , howl at the moon and test the patience of the local law:fu with car radio volume limits during Spring Break.

It is also to South Carolina that we send our motorcycles to see if the cooling systems are working properly (or at all). It can grow humid in South Carolina, there along the coast, where we send our youth to smoke cigars and explore the limits of things. It is there that cigars need de-humidifierdors more than the other. A small (but important) point. Pardon.

Madurolover may confirm or deny the humidity and Spring Break situations.

Mister MaDuroo said:
Uh, Andyman, sir, you are my friend, a BOTB and I honor you but please to permit a teencie-tiny ever so minor and insignificant correction. I live in North Carolina. We humidify our cigars normally here. It is to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, that we send our youth to drink beer and bourbon:al , eat fried seafood platters and junkfood:po , chase the opposite sex 24/7 , , howl at the moon and test the patience of the local law:fu with car radio volume limits during Spring Break.

It is also to South Carolina that we send our motorcycles to see if the cooling systems are working properly (or at all). It can grow humid in South Carolina, there along the coast, where we send our youth to smoke cigars and explore the limits of things. It is there that cigars need de-humidifierdors more than the other. A small (but important) point. Pardon.

Madurolover may confirm or deny the humidity and Spring Break situations.
Pardon my faux pas :hn - err I mean SC.. I do beleive Myrtle beach is only a short distance from NC??? Whatever you guys do down there I don't even want to know.. Unless of course it is Golf, then by all means bring it!

Andyman said:
Pardon my faux pas :hn - err I mean SC.. I do beleive Myrtle beach is only a short distance from NC??? Whatever you guys do down there I don't even want to know.. Unless of course it is Golf, then by all means bring it!
Don't golf but play a very mean game of billiards.:D

I must have over saturated my humidifier (i'm a newbie to cigars) because my digi hygro went up and stayed around 75% for a day and a half. I must have seasoned the humi right because I took the humidifier out to let it evaporate a little - that was about ten days ago. The hygrometer has meen a steady 67% ever since. I keep about 50 -60 cigars in it all the time. And yes, the hygometer passed the salt test. So, make of it what you will. I am sure i'll have to put the humidifier back in at some time, but for now there is no need.

Back